Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:12 PM

10 posts, read 18,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
A little off topic, but something else we used them for in the old days was fishing Yep, fishing! In the summer when the creeks had dried up into pools we would gather up a couple gallons of green walnuts, break them up, put them into a "tow-sack" and take them down to those pools and wade through the water dragging the sack. The walnuts would stain the water brown, fish would come to the top, and we would grab the choice ones and put them into another sack to take back home for supper. It was best to have at least two people working together because the cotton mouth water moccasins also laid claim to that hole of water and you needed someone with a long pole to pick up the snakes and throw them out on the creek bank. This has really gotten my old memory banks stirred up. That was so long ago
looks like you had a fun childhood .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 10:27 AM

2,457 posts, read 7,382,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenangel123 View Post
looks like you had a fun childhood .
Hmmmm, define "fun" Today it would be called "adventure", but back then, and where I lived, it was survival From time to time I go back to that old country and it is now all timber company pine plantations with very little privately owned property, but the memories are still there I guess I'm one of the last of the old timers who lived there during that time.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Another little comment about black walnut trees is don't expect to grow anything under them. The trees release a chemical from their roots that does not allow roots of other species to grow, with the result that black walnut trees get the ground all to themselves. Biologists call this allelopathy.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:01 PM

I washed them,scrubbed them then dried them.
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone please help me identify this tree?-img_0442-1-.jpg   Can someone please help me identify this tree?-img_0441-1-.jpg  

Old 09-21-2013, 12:07 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Never heard of picking them off the tree, just off the ground. And they're so messy. One man had a little bench with holes in it he would place them on and hammer them through to remove the inky husk. You know the lovely walnut stain from home depot? That's what your hands will look like. They black inky looking balls laying under the tree is what I've always seen being picked up.
These are highly toxic to horses so you don't want them in your pasture.
The wood of these trees is beautiful and highly desirable, if you ever want to get rid of your tree. You might want to advertise and someone will probably want the tree.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Never heard of picking them off the tree, just off the ground. And they're so messy. One man had a little bench with holes in it he would place them on and hammer them through to remove the inky husk. You know the lovely walnut stain from home depot? That's what your hands will look like. They black inky looking balls laying under the tree is what I've always seen being picked up.
These are highly toxic to horses so you don't want them in your pasture.
The wood of these trees is beautiful and highly desirable, if you ever want to get rid of your tree. You might want to advertise and someone will probably want the tree.
Never knew they were toxic to horses.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:21 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Sorry for the confusion. At least I know my maple leaves.

Congrats - I hear black walnuts are wonderful and I know the wood is very special.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:18 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,382,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Another little comment about black walnut trees is don't expect to grow anything under them. The trees release a chemical from their roots that does not allow roots of other species to grow, with the result that black walnut trees get the ground all to themselves. Biologists call this allelopathy.
Another big 10-4

Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
What a timely post, thanks, OP! My daughter just yesterday sent me an iPhone photo of an unknown "fruit" tree. Black Walnut! I was able to tell her just what it is, along with the anecdotes you've all written.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
A little off topic, but something else we used them for in the old days was fishing Yep, fishing! In the summer when the creeks had dried up into pools we would gather up a couple gallons of green walnuts, break them up, put them into a "tow-sack" and take them down to those pools and wade through the water dragging the sack. The walnuts would stain the water brown, fish would come to the top, and we would grab the choice ones and put them into another sack to take back home for supper. It was best to have at least two people working together because the cotton mouth water moccasins also laid claim to that hole of water and you needed someone with a long pole to pick up the snakes and throw them out on the creek bank. This has really gotten my old memory banks stirred up. That was so long ago
This is the result of rotenone poisoning. It is found in the green nut husk and tree bark of the black walnut. Well known survival technique for fishing is to use black walnuts as you describe. It actually will kill anything cold blooded I believe, not just fish and leave them safe to eat as it only block oxygen uptake not actual poisoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden