U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 09:26 AM

6,502 posts, read 4,862,461 times

Advertisements

I have been working on my lawn for the past couple years. Its shown great improvement but still needs work. Id like to overseed and fill in bare spots with new seed now. I read that its good to do this in the fall if I plan to put down a crabgrass pre-emergent stopper in the spring.

I had Lesco seed that was a few months old in an open bag. I put that down nearly a week ago after using a dethatcher. Unfortunately, it seems nothing has begun to germinate yet. I dont know if its because the seed is old and sat in an open bag for months or if its because a few nights after laying the seed, temps went down to the 40s. Normally with this type of seed, Ive seen germination begin within 2 or 3 days. And yes, Ive been watering it regularly since putting it down.

I dont want to wait much longer, and fear the seed is just not going to germinate if it hasnt by now. I have some new unopened seed id like to put down. This coming week looks great temp wise.

Should I just lay down new seed now, or take the chance and wait longer for the previous seed to possibly sprout? I fear if I wait, and nothing happens, itll get too late to put down new seed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,385 posts, read 50,562,503 times
It won't hurt to put out new seed now if the warm keeps up, but if it's not been over the 60s it's too soon to give up. I planted see a week ago and it's already 1-1/2" tall, but we have been in the high 60s and only down to 50 at night. Did you keep that older seed wet 24/7? I watered mine before work at 5am and as soon as I got home at 4:30 every day. The best time to seed is about Labor Day,
so it gets good roots before the snow/freezing weather starts.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 AM

6,502 posts, read 4,862,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It won't hurt to put out new seed now if the warm keeps up, but if it's not been over the 60s it's too soon to give up. I planted see a week ago and it's already 1-1/2" tall, but we have been in the high 60s and only down to 50 at night. Did you keep that older seed wet 24/7? I watered mine before work at 5am and as soon as I got home at 4:30 every day. The best time to seed is about Labor Day,
so it gets good roots before the snow/freezing weather starts.
We actually had a couple days of mid 70s this past week. Couple nights it got down to the 40s though. Id really think I wouldve seen something by now. Everywhere Ive looked, thus far I have seen no new life.
Expecting some good weather this week, so perhaps I just might as well lay down the new seed I have.

I guess if it doesnt grow, ill just have to do it again in the Spring and forget the idea of putting down a crab grass preventer. My lawn look pretty good in most spots this past spring, but once Summer hit, crab grass came up all over the place and I also screwed up by neglecting to water the lawn during a very hot two week stretch and some of the lawn went from a nice green to not so nice color.

It just rained this morning, so I guess no better time than now to put down the new seed. Guess Ive got nothing to lose at this point.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:41 AM

3,726 posts, read 8,498,586 times
I have a related question. Does grass seed "expire" once the bag is open? I have about a half bag left that I haven't used yet, so if I keep it in the cold garage all winter will it be any good next spring?

Old 09-26-2013, 09:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,385 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Over time the viability of the seed will be reduced, but not between now and spring as long as it stays cool and dry. Seal up the bag as best you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden