U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:30 AM

13,492 posts, read 14,470,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Have you ever used the blower to clean your computers? I try to remember to clean our desktops once a year with the blowers. I take off the access covers and set them outside. The blowers work so much better than the cans of compressed air and they get the computers clean. There is less chance that they will overheat and fail. You can also use them on other TV's and appliances if you can carry them outdoors.
Never thought of that. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 02:11 PM

2,984 posts, read 4,472,559 times
Works great for sweeping out the garage too.

Nothing is better for getting into all of the corners and behind stuff you can't really move.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:22 PM

7 posts, read 7,142 times
There are reasons for blowers - Not every one can rake. I know someone who is an arm amputee and uses an electric hand blower... gets them into a pile and recycles them (no blowing into the neighbors and leaving). This person also uses a small electric mower to be easier on the environment as well. Its not always laziness and carelessness.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:50 AM

2,600 posts, read 5,471,059 times
Depends on where you live and how many trees you have???

I use a mower to mulch the leaves as well as a lawn vacuum to pick up the excess because as previously posted the leaves will kill your lawn and for those hard to get get places I use a blower but keep everything in my yard and I use an electric blower plus my surrounding neighbor all use a blower of some type.

Life is too short to let this bother you !!!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,480,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Depends on where you live and how many trees you have???

I use a mower to mulch the leaves as well as a lawn vacuum to pick up the excess because as previously posted the leaves will kill your lawn and for those hard to get get places I use a blower but keep everything in my yard and I use an electric blower plus my surrounding neighbor all use a blower of some type.

Life is too short to let this bother you !!!

--------"the leaves will kill your lawn "..........

Despite everybody stating that, I don't believe it to be true.

When I lived on the farm in MN, we had 4 giant cottonwood trees that held their leaves so late into fall that spring was when they usually got raked. I noticed no difference in the summer lawn if we raked in fall or raked in spring after they spent the entire winter on the lawn.

Down here in the Ozarks of Arkansas , there are absentee owners who do nothing with their thick covering of oak leaves until spring.

They still have a nice looking lawn in summer.

Many lawns are tougher than you think.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 AM

392 posts, read 1,264,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
--------"the leaves will kill your lawn "..........

Despite everybody stating that, I don't believe it to be true.

When I lived on the farm in MN, we had 4 giant cottonwood trees that held their leaves so late into fall that spring was when they usually got raked. I noticed no difference in the summer lawn if we raked in fall or raked in spring after they spent the entire winter on the lawn.

Down here in the Ozarks of Arkansas , there are absentee owners who do nothing with their thick covering of oak leaves until spring.

They still have a nice looking lawn in summer.

Many lawns are tougher than you think.
I noticed that warm weather grasses, like St Augustine, seem to do better when the leaves are left there. I think it protects the lawn from the cold. I've always mulched the leaves with the mower.

I don't like the noise the blower makes, but I use it sometimes to get the sand off the sidewalk and the street gutter. For leaves and pine needles I use a push broom. The blower does work well for the little stuff.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,509,900 times
One post in particular made me laugh. Someone who uses their LEAF blower to blow a few grass cuttings off the sidewalk after mowing the lawn but complains about people using LEAF blower to blow leaves! Lol.

We had an acre yard with about 1/3 acre of lawn, 1/3 natural woodland areas, 1/3 areas with ground cover (Helibores, pachysandra, succulents etc) and an alpine garden and a few more formal borders.
We had around 200 trees more than 3/4 of which were deciduous.
No way to deal with all those leaves with a rake. We had a big ass gas leaf blower that was used on a daily basis for about an hour from October to mid-late November. We blew the majortiy into our woodland areas where they would be about 3 feet deep by the end of the Fall each year, but by Spring they had shrunk to about a foot. We used the leaf mulch on our vegetable garden and on the compost heap where possible, but good compost needs to have more green than brown, dead vegetation put into it.

We would mulch the leaves with the lawn mower at the beginning of fall, but once the leaves really started coming down it was too much for our walk behind mower.
I wonder how many people complaining about leaf blowers and noise/pollution etc drive SUVs or trucks and have ride on lawn mowers or concrete driveways?

One of the things that really bugs me is irrigation. Our neighbors used to have theirs come on at 5pm and it would spray over the fence onto our lake access lot, making it almost impossible to get back up the hill from the dock without either getting wet at some point or slipping onto ones backside. It also soaked our patio area by the lakeside. I mean who the hell puts their sprinklers on at 5pm in the afternoon anyway. Only an idiot.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 AM

5,635 posts, read 6,493,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
I mean who the hell puts their sprinklers on at 5pm in the afternoon anyway. Only an idiot.
That's awfully judgemental. I usually do my sprinkler in the late afternoon or early evening because that is when I'm home and not working. Granted it's usually a spot sprinkler that doesn't get spray outside my property. This year I might switch to a soaker hose or irrigation system of some sort; it gets tedious moving that spot sprinkler every 10 minutes.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:56 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,509,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
That's awfully judgemental. I usually do my sprinkler in the late afternoon or early evening because that is when I'm home and not working. Granted it's usually a spot sprinkler that doesn't get spray outside my property. This year I might switch to a soaker hose or irrigation system of some sort; it gets tedious moving that spot sprinkler every 10 minutes.
Sorry if you think it's judgmental. I just thought it was short sighted as at 5pm the majority of the water evaporated. They say that the best time to water is early in the morning. Less likely to get mould and fungal probems. Also best to water each area for at least 20 mins around 3 times per week. A lawn needs the equivalent of around an inch of water per week.
We were in a transitional zone in NC so had to choose between a cool season or a warm season grass ie brown lawn in the height of Summer (Fescue) but green in Spring/Fall some of winter or green in Summer (Bermuda,Cetipede) and brown in Fall/Winter and early Spring. Painful. Would have prepared less/no lawn. Plants were easier to look after!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:10 PM

2,984 posts, read 4,472,559 times
We have water restrictions here that dictate watering only one day per week. The ordinance states that sprinklers are to be run after 6PM or before 8AM on your assigned watering day.

Back on topic, I ran my leafblower yesterday for the first time in a few months. They were mowing the golf course behind my house. They have a ton of monstrous oaks between my house and the actual fairway. The leaves blow up against the outside of my chain-link fence. I'd say the pile was 2' high across the entire rear of my yard. I blew the leaves out away from the fence so their guy running the big mower could mulch them up when he got to that area. We got it all worked out. If I happen to be outside when he's mowing, he points and the leaves and gives me the nod to grab the leafblower. Sometimes he'll let me know ahead of time if he'll be mowing that area the next day and I can just blow the leaves away from the fence beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden