U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 12:24 PM

5,076 posts, read 7,963,229 times

Advertisements

You don't even know how bad it is until your jobless meth head neighbor decides to clean every inch of the property with a power blower every day of the week.

Couldn't somebody just get this guy a rake? It's not like he's strapped for time or energy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:39 PM

4,613 posts, read 6,113,536 times
I recently saw our leaf blower blowing dust off all the parked cars in addition to all his regular leaf-blowing duties....

glad to know I am not the only one who can't stand these--- particularly when I have a migraine!

Old 09-25-2013, 01:04 PM

10,541 posts, read 4,675,530 times
Leaf blowers (and chainsaws, motorcycles, etc.) hurt my ears terribly-so I conclude they are a scourge upon quiet/peaceful enjoyment in our society. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:05 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is mud. View Post
Mulch? Ever heard of it? You mow your lawn full of leaves and it nourishes it. I guess God isn't clueless after all...
A couple of feet of oak leaves will kill the lawn, not nourish it.
I fail to see what God has to do with that.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:09 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,255,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
The leaf blowers sure do destroy the tranquility of a peaceful neighborhood, but it is necessary to get the leaves off of the lawn or the results will not be good...from smothered grass to mold build up, and worse. I personally HATE to rake (but I do), and if the blower is necessary (I don't own one) after eleven and before five sounds reasonable.

Now, I agree, what is it with these guys who blow the leaves into the road....ditto the guys who plow snow and think the public road is a good place to leave it? Arrogance? Stupidity? Lazy? Just plain incompetence? "Here's a n 'empty' space, let me blow it here....." the sides of my car be damned...or worse.
This especially gets on my nerves because a pile of snow in an otherwise clear street becomes dangerous. Even at 30 mph, suddenly hitting 3 or 4 inches of snow can cause you to lose control. But yet I see people blow snow into the street all the time. Or they use a plow and push it into a pile across the street, leaving at least two strips of snow all the way across the street in the process.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:05 PM

8,505 posts, read 11,379,976 times
At my old house we would get everyone's leaves because we were the first house and had a neighbor's fence there, collecting all the leaves for our enjoyment. I used the blower to pile it all up then engaged the suction feature which rips it all to shreds. At our current house it's not plentiful enough to worry about (we don't have trees ourselves). The only time I will use it is after trimming the grass edges and grass clippings are all over the place on an otherwise-clean sidewalk. Very useful for that rather than sweeping all the way which doesn't get everything and takes a lot more time.

I hate that landscapers will use it for everything like dust. Guess where it goes right after I wash my car? They're not shy about blowing it toward others' properties either. And the noise... everyone has a landscaper around me (except me and my 1 neighbor) and these things are out of control during the day. Guess where I am during the day since I work from home full time.

Quote:
Mulch? Ever heard of it? You mow your lawn full of leaves and it nourishes it. I guess God isn't clueless after all...
mulched grass feeds it but without sun and only moisture left on top with a huge pile of leaves, grass will die. Same effect if you leave a tarp on it. That's why I did what I did at the old house. I don't mind seeing random leaves now.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:24 PM

748 posts, read 1,356,127 times
try getting woke up with one at 6:30am or 7:30am....real fun! It happens nearly every day around where I live, gotta love HOA!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:28 PM

45 posts, read 73,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
try getting woke up with one at 6:30am or 7:30am....real fun! It happens nearly every day around where I live, gotta love HOA!
I remember when my dad would mow the lawn with a MANUAL mower once a week on Saturday mornings. People around here are OBSESSED with their little lawns and it takes away from quality of life! D'oh!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:46 PM

3,445 posts, read 4,825,308 times
Quote:
Why? Just why???????????? I am trying to enjoy myself and someone is blowing leaves to some other location.

What is wrong with leaves? And don't you know that in an hour they will be BACK?
Do you complain that kids are too loud playing in the pool and disturbing your quiet enjoyment. Move to Montana if you want quiet.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:51 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,829,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A couple of feet of oak leaves will kill the lawn, not nourish it.
I fail to see what God has to do with that.
I have an oak tree in my back yard and the neighbors have quite a few more. I haven't raked leaves in years. I keep running the lawn mower over them until their is snow on the ground and they eventually disappear.

I have a leaf blower and use it every time I cut the grass to blow off the sidewalks and driveway. I even blow the leaves on the street onto my yard so I can mulch them.

What does this have to do with non-romantic relationships?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden