U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:32 PM

7,672 posts, read 5,652,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm so glad I don't live in suburbia anymore. We were in a wooded area and the leaves would pile up fast. My husband and I raked the leaves, lots of leaves. But the guy next door had a very loud leaf blower. He was young and able bodied and just looked plain silly with that thing blowing the leaves into little piles.

To me it's lazy, gas guzzling, noisy, and you could use the leaves in a compost pile or just cut them up with the mower and mulch them. I guess I'm a grouch when it comes to this stuff but so many people are getting so lazy. Hiring people to rake their leaves? Blowing their leaves? If you aren't going to maintain your property then maybe you should live in an apartment building.

It's just one more thing that they've been brain washed into thinking they must have. A stupid leaf blower.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. You have said it far more politely than I ever could. On this topic, I see red and only red!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 10:28 PM

4,878 posts, read 4,573,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Yes nature is great. But don't get your underwear tied in knots. Leaf blowers are great tools to get a job done fast. Not everybody has the time to rake every square inch of property.

Nature can leave us with an inhospitable back yard. In my area we have Lyme disease - some areas have other tic borne illnesses to contend with. High weeds and un-raked leaves offer hiding places for these little buggers. Some places have problems with poisonous snakes - high vegetation and leaves can provide hiding places for rodents that the snakes feed on.

If people have problems with noise; they should suggest noise ordnances at their local municipality. That does not mean that they will give in; but you can try. It might be trade off regulations where no blowers are to be used before 8 AM or after dark? I usually have more problems with people and barking dogs all night - although, lately, they seem to have that problem under control.
I suppose those who hate them might live in an urban area. If that's the case I would be more upset
about barking dogs, loud vibrating music (coming from an apartment, house or car) living near a elevated
train, screaming neighbors or jack hammers (working on streets or construction).
I do think that there should be regulations about the time of day about noise, but in reality many
wouldn't comply. Then there are people who work different shifts, so they would be out of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Is there like a really quiet leaf blower on the market?
There is a blower that makes less noise. Link below. Also some interesting points that relate to this
discussion.
Leaf blower noise

Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,522,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is mud. View Post
the fall weather is just divine, it was QUIET and then...he came! That noise from the pit of Hell. And the totally bizarre part is that it only blows them; it's not even a vacuum!

The worst part is how pointless it all is. The wind is blowing, there are leaves on lawns across the street and I bet in two hours it will be back to Square 1.

And why are homeowners so anal? Isn't it NICE to see a leaf-covered lawn in September? But these are the same folks who poison the ecosystem by using chemicals on their lawns so what do I expect?
I own a home and have a lawn. I use my leaf blower to clean the sidewalks and driveway and front porch. Never had a complaint, and my neighbors use them too. I use my mower/blower at reasonable hours when people wouldn't be sleeping. You must be rather sensitive

And I use fertilizer/week preventer on my lawn too. If you don't use "poison" on your lawn, you know what you end up with? Weeds and dirt

Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,522,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
What a great topic!

They should be banned! Everywhere! Let me count the ways! Let me count the reasons!

I would support a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting their use, their sale, their manufacture!!

Why do we collectively tolerate them? (Yes, I know that's a silly question in these times where anything and everything is tolerated, if not protected)
Aren't you the person who complains that the big, bad gubment is always in your business?? Yet you want to ban leaf blowers at the federal level? lol!

Old 09-27-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Aren't you the person who complains that the big, bad gubment is always in your business?? Yet you want to ban leaf blowers at the federal level? lol!
Leaf blowers are a public menace that are everyone's business. They are gross polluters and are an almost never ending disturbance of the peace in what should be nice, quiet neighborhoods.

Despite the PC straight-jackets that most people wear these days, there is a growing groundswell of anger against these menaces to society and they are going away. And, yes, government action is necessary in cases where people don't have sense enough to avoid choices that create loathsome annoyance of others.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:01 AM

5,799 posts, read 4,826,725 times
I gave a positive rep to everyone who has stated how awful leaf blowers are. I loathe them with every fiber of my being.

Why is it OK for you to use your leaf blower on your small property, when your use of it deafens the ears of many neighbors who may be as far away as an entire block?

We can think of it as the classic American dilemma: the rights of the individual v the rights of the many.

People who use leaf blowers are selfish pig hogs.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,479,509 times
I wonder how many of you people who are so sensitive to the sound of leaf blowers have dogs who bark a lot.

At least a leaf blower isn't operated 24/7 and 365 days a year.

Many dogs are barking during that time though.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:34 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,468,070 times
My wife and I live in a very nice subdivision with very large lots.

The neighbor who is kitty corner from us is a kind, generous and sweet older gentleman in his upper seventies.
He, like many other people in the neighborhood have their lawns maintained by a landscaping company.

This man seems to have made it his hobby to gather the leaves in piles for the landscaping crew to take by taking his leaf blower and working for hours blowing the leaves together while taking short frequent breaks.

Since he is retired theoretically he could be doing this on any given weekday but he does not, he reserves his form of
"" exercise "" for Saturday and sometimes also Sunday.

Even though not many leaves have fallen yet, due to the size of the lots in our neighborhood there still is a notable amount of leaves on a landscaped lot like his.

Last Saturday his leaf blowing commenced promptly at 10:00 AM and continued with short 10 minute breaks until approx 3:00 PM.

His leaf blower is gasoline powered with a two stroke motor that emits a horrible high pitched whine that can be heard for blocks.

I know the police have been called at least twice because on a neighborhood walk that Sunday evening I stopped to speak to say hello because he was out oddly doing something other than leaf blowing.

He said that he simply could not understand the reasoning behind the calls to the police.

I said to him; that we in the neighborhood find him a very kind and loving person but the leaf blowing is driving us absolutely crazy.
I suggested that he would leaf blow his lawn on a weekday.

His demeanor turned contrived and forced as he continued to smile and made an excuse to go inside.

Day after tomorrow is Saturday, I along with the rest of the neighborhood will find out if my little talk did any good.

I have a feeling it didn't.

Last edited by julian17033; 09-27-2013 at 09:42 AM..

Old 09-27-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I gave a positive rep to everyone who has stated how awful leaf blowers are. I loathe them with every fiber of my being.

Why is it OK for you to use your leaf blower on your small property, when your use of it deafens the ears of many neighbors who may be as far away as an entire block?

We can think of it as the classic American dilemma: the rights of the individual v the rights of the many.

People who use leaf blowers are selfish pig hogs.
And a positive rep right back to ya!

Old 09-27-2013, 11:44 AM

13,207 posts, read 10,607,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I suppose those who hate them might live in an urban area. If that's the case I would be more upset
about barking dogs, loud vibrating music (coming from an apartment, house or car) living near a elevated
train, screaming neighbors or jack hammers (working on streets or construction).
I do think that there should be regulations about the time of day about noise, but in reality many
wouldn't comply. Then there are people who work different shifts, so they would be out of luck.

There is a blower that makes less noise. Link below. Also some interesting points that relate to this
discussion.
Leaf blower noise
I have always worked other shifts. Nobody is considerate of people that work night shifts - even our closest relatives. I have worn ear plugs to sleep - but usually just turn on the TV for background noise.

At least my leaf blowers get the job done quick and I can move on to the other aspects of cleaning a yard.

I still think that people should think twice about having neighbors with uncared for lawns. Lyme disease can case lifetime disabilities. Also; leaf and lawn debris can fuel fire.

When it comes to zoning regulations - we have too much crime and not enough police to enforce all the new regulations. I just think that it makes laws meaningless unless we enforce these laws - so; why make the law in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden