U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 08:09 AM

806 posts, read 1,957,953 times

Advertisements

Hey, how come I don't have a mulch setting on my lawn mower..

I LOVE using my leaf blower!! It's pretty darned FUN!! But I'm able to blow it into a pile that I can rake up and throw away. Our city's yard waste goes to a composting facility. I need to compost it myself but dont know how..

I also like the sound of a chainsaw in the morning!! Lets cut some firewood shall we!!!

Why are you complaining?? Lawn mowers are just as annoying!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 08:12 AM

2,777 posts, read 2,915,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is mud. View Post
Mulch? Ever heard of it? You mow your lawn full of leaves and it nourishes it. I guess God isn't clueless after all...
We have so many trees the grass would die even if I mulched the leaves.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 AM

4,702 posts, read 5,853,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
We have so many trees the grass would die even if I mulched the leaves.
Not true! My back yard is half woods and I have not done anything with leaves other than mulch them for years. The only thing you need to do is use lime on your grass every year.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,754 posts, read 39,711,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What you say?????? I love my leaf blowers! I have four of them!
And I hate listening to them. Ruins the neighborhood with an atrocious noise.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,754 posts, read 39,711,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

If you don't like the way I maintain my home, come on over and get busy. I'll be at it until mid December. And BTW, I enjoy every minute of it. I'm not fat or lazy.

Mod cut: Off topic.
And your maintaining your home intrudes on other's enjoyment of their home. My parent's have their big lot for the quiet not for immaculate maintenance. The neighbor uses power tools to keep his yard immaculate (every single leaf must go!), many weekends there's escape from the din of power tools. What's the point? If you can't mantain without power tools, than don't.

Right now, someone across the street has tiny yard and moved his leaf blower back and forth for 40 minutes. Ugh. 5 minutes would be fine, but that's absurd. I yelled shut up to him, of course he couldn't hear me.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:59 PM

32,177 posts, read 39,280,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
Hey, how come I don't have a mulch setting on my lawn mower..

I LOVE using my leaf blower!! It's pretty darned FUN!! But I'm able to blow it into a pile that I can rake up and throw away. Our city's yard waste goes to a composting facility. I need to compost it myself but dont know how..

I also like the sound of a chainsaw in the morning!! Lets cut some firewood shall we!!!

Why are you complaining?? Lawn mowers are just as annoying!!

Pile up the leaves in an out of the way corner (the nearer to the garden the better). Continue to add vegetable material, eggshells, coffee grounds, tea bags (no meat or greases). Turn occasionally, keep damp.

You'll have compost in a few months, sooner if you turn it over more often.

Leaf blowers. Just bought one today for the mulching function. My super chipper/shredder is a pain to use for leaves but it does a dandy job on brush and limbs.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:32 PM

4,878 posts, read 4,575,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Not true! My back yard is half woods and I have not done anything with leaves other than mulch them for years. The only thing you need to do is use lime on your grass every year.
In a wooded area, who would care if there are leaves. That would have been great if we had that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Pile up the leaves in an out of the way corner (the nearer to the garden the better). Continue to add vegetable material, eggshells, coffee grounds, tea bags (no meat or greases). Turn occasionally, keep damp.
Leaf blowers. Just bought one today for the mulching function. My super chipper/shredder is a pain to use for leaves but it does a dandy job on brush and limbs.
Question- wouldn't that smell if you lived on a small city lot?
For those with Oak trees in the city and a long driveway - you have to keep up with leaves because
when it snows it's a pain in the neck.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:32 PM

13,212 posts, read 10,613,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I would like to see what people say about chipper/shedders compared to leaf blowers! Those do produce a deafening roar! Many times I will not put on ear protectors when I operate my leaf blowers (but I don't have too much hearing left to protect). However; I would never consider operating our wood chipper without ear plugs and the ear muff/protectors.

I also hate how inefficient the wood chipper/shredder operates. That is the only thing that saves my neighbors. About the only time I really use it is when I have a neighbor that won't stop using their leaf blower! Of course I could always look into installing a fireman's siren! It's great not to be in one of those HOA's!

Make sure you use that new blower to clean out your vehicles, dust off light snow, clean out your garage, blow out your dryer vent and blow out your computer. I think that I have even seen extensions to blow out your rain gutters.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:40 PM

5,799 posts, read 4,829,449 times
It's quite obvious here that the gleeful leaf blower users prove my point.

They are selfish, selfish, selfish, selfish, pig hogs, pig hogs, pig hogs, pig hogs.

What are you again?

Selfish, selfish, selfish, selfish, pig hogs, pig hogs, pig hogs, pig hogs.

With BAD HEARING!

Old 09-28-2013, 01:40 PM

32,177 posts, read 39,280,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
In a wooded area, who would care if there are leaves. That would have been great if we had that.

Question- wouldn't that smell if you lived on a small city lot?
For those with Oak trees in the city and a long driveway - you have to keep up with leaves because
when it snows it's a pain in the neck.
It has a woodsy/dirt smell, which you really can't pick up unless you're right on top of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden