U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 05:06 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,652,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
He's right, read the link/
Krames Online - Preventing Lyme Disease
He's right about what? My question was about using a rake....as this thread is not about lyme disease or any trumped-up justification for disruption of the peace of a neighborhood.

A point of further clarification is in order. Many of you live in areas other than California where there are large lots and lots more space between homes. Some of you talked about multi-acre spreads. That's different - very different - than the environment which is unfortunately my current frame of reference and that for millions of Californians

To live in a large metro in California is to be lucky to have 10 feet between homes even in upper middle class neighborhoods. To live in such neighborhoods is also to be convinced that landscaping must be about 20% of the state's economy. Nobody touches their own yard - it's as though it's against the law. It's all commercially done and it just never ends - with landscaping crews up and down the street doing one home after another. Leaf blowers all afternoon. If they're not doing your street, they're doing the one parallel - which is often less than 100 feet away. This is what is so unacceptable. And we haven't even mentioned the pollution those machines spew - giving you a second reason that you must close your windows and seal yourself in as best you can. It is truly mind boggling that these things are legal in California with its over-the-top environmental obsessions.

So those of you back East with acres around you aren't the object of my frustration. Out here those damn machines are nightmares.

Add this the the 50 other reasons why no one living a comfortable life in the Midwest or back East (I've lived in both) should consider for even a moment moving out here. Trust me....you know not what you take for granted and would lose.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 05:21 PM

806 posts, read 1,957,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Pile up the leaves in an out of the way corner (the nearer to the garden the better). Continue to add vegetable material, eggshells, coffee grounds, tea bags (no meat or greases). Turn occasionally, keep damp.

You'll have compost in a few months, sooner if you turn it over more often.

Leaf blowers. Just bought one today for the mulching function. My super chipper/shredder is a pain to use for leaves but it does a dandy job on brush and limbs.
Thank You, I will do this!!

I have to admit, It must be annoying if you live in one of those neighborhoods where landscapers are doing most of the yardwork..
We keep up with the mowing and run over most of the leaves. But after windy days or when the trees are dropping their leaves is when I use mine the most. Not every weekend.

My yard isn't that big, so I like to use the water hose with high pressure to blast the leaves into a pile, then rinse off the driveway. No noise involved!!

Raking sucks!! It is a lot of work!

Old 09-28-2013, 05:53 PM

3,442 posts, read 4,478,298 times
Some posters act as if people are using those leaf blowers for recreation ( jet ski, loud motorcycle etc)

Everyone I know that uses them uses them specifically to get a job/task completed.

If I was using one for a job/task during daylight hours and a neighbor complained...................I would tell them to take it up with city hall and don't bother me as I am busy.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,751 posts, read 39,697,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Some posters act as if people are using those leaf blowers for recreation ( jet ski, loud motorcycle etc)

Everyone I know that uses them uses them specifically to get a job/task completed.

If I was using one for a job/task during daylight hours and a neighbor complained...................I would tell them to take it up with city hall and don't bother me as I am busy.
And it's a task that sounds extremely grating. I don't see the difference.

Some people I've seen use leaf blowers far more than others, to keep they're lawn perfectly neat. It's a task, but one they choose to do.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,256,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
He's right about what? My question was about using a rake....as this thread is not about lyme disease or any trumped-up justification for disruption of the peace of a neighborhood.

A point of further clarification is in order. Many of you live in areas other than California where there are large lots and lots more space between homes. Some of you talked about multi-acre spreads. That's different - very different - than the environment which is unfortunately my current frame of reference and that for millions of Californians

To live in a large metro in California is to be lucky to have 10 feet between homes even in upper middle class neighborhoods. To live in such neighborhoods is also to be convinced that landscaping must be about 20% of the state's economy. Nobody touches their own yard - it's as though it's against the law. It's all commercially done and it just never ends - with landscaping crews up and down the street doing one home after another. Leaf blowers all afternoon. If they're not doing your street, they're doing the one parallel - which is often less than 100 feet away. This is what is so unacceptable. And we haven't even mentioned the pollution those machines spew - giving you a second reason that you must close your windows and seal yourself in as best you can. It is truly mind boggling that these things are legal in California with its over-the-top environmental obsessions.

So those of you back East with acres around you aren't the object of my frustration. Out here those damn machines are nightmares.

Add this the the 50 other reasons why no one living a comfortable life in the Midwest or back East (I've lived in both) should consider for even a moment moving out here. Trust me....you know not what you take for granted and would lose.
I have to admit that I'm somewhat confused about your perpespective. Most people in the U.S. (whether it's California or any other state, do not have yards that are acres in size). This is a good thing - if everyone lived in such a way sprawl would be completely out of control. My neighborhood has small lots for Fort Collins but they are probably still bigger then in CA urban areas. Almost everyone uses gas powered lawn mowers, weed trimmers, and leaf blowers but they do the work themselves. And yet California seems to be at the forefront of the effort to ban laf blowers. I can only assume that the fact that your neighbors don't do the work themselves makes it easier to support this type of law. But the bottom line is that my neighborhood is likely at least as noisy as your's during a summer weekend. When it comes to such noise it shouldn't matter if a landscape company or your neighbors are responsible, not should it matter whether fewer houses are using these tools on larger lots as opposed to more neighbors using these tools on smaller lots.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:12 AM

13,206 posts, read 10,607,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

I can see your point about landscaping crews. But they don't do that all year round.

I used to drive to LA ever week from PA for some time as a commercial truck driver. CA has beautiful areas. But; CA drives me nuts. You are very environmentally conscious. But you have smog, your running low on water, you have wild fires and one of your favorite pastimes is tearing up your pristine landscape with dune buggies, ATV's and dirt bikes! Tell me those don't make noise! Your hills look like checkerboards. Sometimes the dust is so heavy on the interstates from the off-roaders' that you can barely see to drive. Of course; this is recreational and doesn't count - give me a break!

Many modern tools have made our work easier. I don't even look for a screwdriver anymore - cordless drivers have taken over. Leaf blowers are just one other modern convenience. Can they be abused - of course. But there are many other products that can also be abused and they are only for recreation and not to help us work.

If you ever get somebody with a 10 hp chipper/shredder next door you will know what misery is!

Old 09-29-2013, 08:34 AM

518 posts, read 668,350 times
We have three acres and chop up the leaves with our mower. When chopped, the leaves are able to decompose affixing nitrogen into the soil. Our old mower had a bagger attachment that I really miss because I could put the leaves right on top of the veggie garden. We used to have the best tomatoes around. I think the point of the previous poster is that God provides a perfect plan in that decomposing vegetation feeds the ground/plants for the next growing season. It works well for us. Why not let the leaves work for you by chopping, composting and providing coverage for your perennials?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:02 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,478,298 times
Why don't you folks who are proclaiming those lots are VERY tiny, yet a leaf blower is used.............just volunteer to rake those tiny lots if the leaf blowers are shut off.

I'm sure, since those lots are so tiny, you would be done in 15 minutes ......SARC

Old 09-29-2013, 10:37 AM

4,878 posts, read 4,572,221 times
Problem solved.

For women
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/...Nikol_Lohr.jpg

For men
http://picblow.com/img/full/5017.jpg

Old 09-29-2013, 10:52 AM

5,293 posts, read 20,726,343 times
All lots are not the same... so assuming one way to maintain them is just not valid.

Where we have lawn area or even level mixed surface I use a rake to gather and pick up leaves from the hundreds of trees in the area. On lawn grass we use the lawn mower. But in areas of multiple levels of mixed plantings a rake or lawn mower is not practical. I buy the blower with the lowest noise rating (very good now where the neighbors don't even know I am using it) so we blow the leaves to a disposal area.

A blower is a good tool when used properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden