Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 PM

45 posts, read 95,436 times

Advertisements

[quote=villageidiot1;31555750]I have an oak tree in my back yard and the neighbors have quite a few more. I haven't raked leaves in years. I keep running the lawn mower over them until their is snow on the ground and they eventually disappear.

I have a leaf blower and use it every time I cut the grass to blow off the sidewalks and driveway. I even blow the leaves on the street onto my yard so I can mulch them.

What does this have to do with non-romantic relationships?[
/QUOTE]

Name a better place to put this thread.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times
Sorry OP, when the leaves come down I've 62ccs of Red Max blowpower and I use it.

I have only 1/2 an acre but it's pretty much 50-70 ft oaks and maples.

My NW New Jersey piece of heaven looks great when it's done, too

Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is mud. View Post

Name a better place to put this thread.
Home? Garden? Great Debates?

Green living? Nature?

Old 09-25-2013, 07:13 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
We lived on a large inner city lot with many Oak trees. We raked for years and it was a lot of work.
Add in ground cover where the oak leaves can stay for 2 years if not picked up. Finally after several
years, we did buy an electric leaf blower with a suction attachment. After doing it by hand and rakes
my hands deserved a break. And yes, the leaves do damage to the grass.
Depending on where people live, many cities and towns require residents to put the leaves along
the front curb where the city will suck them up and make compost. You know - being green
and not filling the landfills with yard waste.

Mod cut: Orphaned (referenced comment has been deleted).

What's next, will the sound of children playing become a nuisance too?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-25-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
And the noise pollution. I swear to God, I live in a perfectly beautiful town but their penchant for Mexican-wielding leaf blowers is bizarre...
You should be seeing the chance to increase your good karma and spread positive energy in your neighborhood. Offer the Mexican doing his job a cup of coffee.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times
Mod cut: Personal attack.

I have a gajillion trees and not one single blade of grass. I do have plenty of gravel sidewalks, blowing is really the only thing that works there. Starting September 1 I rake, vacuum and blow leaves. Some are mulched by the vacuum, some are composted, some mulch my flower beds, some go on the curb for collection, some I just dump at the far edge of my property. I simply cannot rake all those leaves due to underbrush, bushes and delicate perennials. All my power tools are electric, no gas involved. I do all this work at respectable times of day when no one is likely to be sleeping.

If you don't like the way I maintain my home, come on over and get busy. I'll be at it until mid December. And BTW, I enjoy every minute of it. I'm not fat or lazy.

Mod cut: Off topic.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-25-2013 at 09:46 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 08:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
And the noise pollution. I swear to God, I live in a perfectly beautiful town but their penchant for Mexican-wielding leaf blowers is bizarre...
Yes, I agree about the mulch and the noise. At least if they use a rake, it's quiet and you can rake them into a pile for composting into mulch.

I don't see any point in leaf-blowers because the wind will blow them right back.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,612 times
I'm relieved when my neighbor uses his leaf blower on our lawn, morning or evening. He's getting older, so anything easier on him is fine. I don't have to maintain our lawn (he's our neighborhood yard guy), and we all just pay him. He makes the money, and we have great lawns. Everybody wins.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:35 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,428 times
I too, cannot stand the sound of those things. Why so much hostility towards someone who has posted about an annoyance? I don't get that.

I like my leaves a lot, love how they look and eventually I just mow over them with a lawnmower and they blend into the grass and nourish it. I collect piles of leaves too, to use as protection for some of my more tender perennials. I've never had any ruined grass and am not particularly conscientious about getting to the raking. I leave a lot of it till Spring.

What's even more irritating is going up to my cottage and listening to all the suburban noises up there where it's supposed to be relaxed and not like a housing subdivision. VERY irritating! Lawnmowers, leaf blowers, motorbikes, oh well. Not much we can do about it.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 PM

44,349 posts, read 20,053,982 times
Thread moved from Non-romantic Relationships to Garden forum. Folks, please stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden