Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:11 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times

Advertisements

I'm so glad I don't live in suburbia anymore. We were in a wooded area and the leaves would pile up fast. My husband and I raked the leaves, lots of leaves. But the guy next door had a very loud leaf blower. He was young and able bodied and just looked plain silly with that thing blowing the leaves into little piles.

To me it's lazy, gas guzzling, noisy, and you could use the leaves in a compost pile or just cut them up with the mower and mulch them. I guess I'm a grouch when it comes to this stuff but so many people are getting so lazy. Hiring people to rake their leaves? Blowing their leaves? If you aren't going to maintain your property then maybe you should live in an apartment building.

It's just one more thing that they've been brain washed into thinking they must have. A stupid leaf blower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 08:34 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No, it is not.
Leaving leaves on the lawn can and will kill the lawn.
No one wants to reseed every year....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A couple of feet of oak leaves will kill the lawn, not nourish it.
I fail to see what God has to do with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
[color=red]

I have a gajillion trees and not one single blade of grass. I do have plenty of gravel sidewalks, blowing is really the only thing that works there. Starting September 1 I rake, vacuum and blow leaves. Some are mulched by the vacuum, some are composted, some mulch my flower beds, some go on the curb for collection, some I just dump at the far edge of my property. I simply cannot rake all those leaves due to underbrush, bushes and delicate perennials. All my power tools are electric, no gas involved. I do all this work at respectable times of day when no one is likely to be sleeping.

If you don't like the way I maintain my home, come on over and get busy. I'll be at it until mid December. And BTW, I enjoy every minute of it. I'm not fat or lazy.
^^^this too. We had so many flower beds and shrubs & we did the same thing you did.
If anyone wanted to see proof, all they have to do is look at my hands and see the consequences of
working so hard to maintain our property that we took pride in doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I'm relieved when my neighbor uses his leaf blower on our lawn, morning or evening. He's getting older, so anything easier on him is fine. I don't have to maintain our lawn (he's our neighborhood yard guy), and we all just pay him. He makes the money, and we have great lawns. Everybody wins.
Few more things worth mentioning.
1. Many areas do not allow burning leaves
2. There are homeowners who made choices and decisions to buy a house and live there until the end.
3. Those homeowners get older and may not be able to physically to continue the upkeep.
4. Why able bodied and young choose not to do it may depend on the type of careers they have
and the lack of time. That's another potential thread.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Yes nature is great. But don't get your underwear tied in knots. Leaf blowers are great tools to get a job done fast. Not everybody has the time to rake every square inch of property.

Nature can leave us with an inhospitable back yard. In my area we have Lyme disease - some areas have other tic borne illnesses to contend with. High weeds and un-raked leaves offer hiding places for these little buggers. Some places have problems with poisonous snakes - high vegetation and leaves can provide hiding places for rodents that the snakes feed on.

I do know that some people use their leaf blowers far too much. I usually just blow the leaves out from around my house and shrubs - then I use my mowers to collect them.

If people have problems with noise; they should suggest noise ordnances at their local municipality. That does not mean that they will give in; but you can try. It might be trade off regulations where no blowers are to be used before 8 AM or after dark? I usually have more problems with people and barking dogs all night - although, lately, they seem to have that problem under control.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:37 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,050 times
Leaf blowers. The most useless piece of equipment in home ownership.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Leaf blowers. The most useless piece of equipment in home ownership.
There are many uses for leaf blowers. I use electric bowers to blow out my garages - they work much faster than the old broom. I use gas blowers to remove light dustings of snow off the deck, walks and vehicles. Sometimes I use them to remove heavy snow from our vegetation. I also use the electric ones to quickly clean out my trucks. Plus, rakes cannot get the leaves out of shrubbery - like the leaf blower.

Go ahead - claim they are useless. But they save me a lot of time!

PS I almost forgot. Every other year I like to take the cover off my computers and set them outside. I then thoroughly blow them out with my leaf blower - it does a great job and keeps them running cooler.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:05 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
A leaf blower also can be used to bust all the lint out of your clothes dryer ductwork.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:07 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Go ahead - claim they are useless. But they save me a lot of time!
Yep.
My husband says that he will gladly quit using one, the day that someone volunteers to do all the chores manually for him. No one is willing to step up...

Old 09-26-2013, 04:12 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,778 times
Is there like a really quiet leaf blower on the market?

Old 09-26-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Is there like a really quiet leaf blower on the market?
Actually the battery powered blowers are fairly quiet. But the batteries do not last and they have virtually no power compared to the electric and gas blowers. It takes hours to charge the batteries and you only get minutes (5,10, 15 minutes) of use. But, if you have a small job and do not want neighbors complaining; they might be the ones to use? They also do not have the fumes and smell of gas like the gas powered models. Just don't expect to clear a large yard of all leaves.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:27 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is mud. View Post
Why? Just why???????????? I am trying to enjoy myself and someone is blowing leaves to some other location.

What is wrong with leaves? And don't you know that in an hour they will be BACK?
What a great topic!

They should be banned! Everywhere! Let me count the ways! Let me count the reasons!

I would support a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting their use, their sale, their manufacture!!

Why do we collectively tolerate them? (Yes, I know that's a silly question in these times where anything and everything is tolerated, if not protected)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden