U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 AM

14 posts, read 121,039 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I live in Virginia and have a backyard which I had hydroseeded recently. Every time I mow my lawn and it's wet, the next morning I find out that some animal has dug the grass out and put holes all over my lawn. It has been digging up an area about 5 by 4 over and over. It has dug up 1 x1 areas as well. It mostly happens after I cut the grass, but it has done it at other times and always at night.

I bought one of those deer off sprays and liquid fence but that didn't seem to stop them. I then bought a motion detector sprinkler which didn't seem to stop the unknown creature either.

This morning I walked into my lawn only to find out that the unknown animal has dug holes right under the sprinkler.
I would really appreciate it if someone could please give me some advice on how to prevent this.
Thanks much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:33 AM

1,300 posts, read 635,961 times
I suggest you look in the soil for grubs. Use whatever digging implement you have, and dig into the soil near and in the areas the critter dug up. You are looking for little (1/8" to 1/2" in size) white grubs. If you find grubs - then I think it is quite possible the digging critters are looking for a grub steak.

I've used nematodes to successfully reduce grub populations when I had a similar problem. In my problem, it was coyotes doing the digging, but many critters will dig and eat grubs, I am sure.

It doesn't sound like a vegetarian doing the digging, since the area is "dug" up - not the grass was pulled out by the roots. And hydroseeded - you don't likely have a spreading grass that would pull up by the roots. So, logic dictates things living beneath the grass - grubs and worms. I've never seen anything except birds go for worms, but who knows?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 AM

5,706 posts, read 12,815,737 times
We have similar problem which was attributed to grubs and grubs attract skunks and raccoons which dig at night. We have been treating the area for 2 years and according to research we need to do it for three years. Keep in mind there are two varieties. Japanese beetle grubs (white) and the brownish ones. Some treatments are ONLY for Japanese beetle grubs.

Because of our dog, who got sprayed by a skunk, we used traps. We trapped the skunks and took them to another county, out in the middle of nowhere. The best attractant for the skunks in the trap was snack size vanilla pudding. We trapped 14 skunks using this method. Since we live out in the country it wasn't illegal to transport them to a unpopulated area.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 AM

6,958 posts, read 12,372,463 times
Sparkling, do you know anybody who is really into hunting? You could see if they have one of those deer cams they set up in the woods looking for deer in the area. If they do, see if they could set it up somewhere in your yard pointing towards the affected area to see what's doing the digging.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 AM

7,282 posts, read 8,380,090 times
You gotta love those that live in the country and then move most animals out so they can have a lawn that does little else other than use up water, require maintenance and so on or;

to protect their pets, displace the animals that were there first. If a dog gets sprayed by a skunk and second time, you have a stupid dog and maybe getting rid of the dog and not the skunks is the better plan. If a dog fights with Racoons and loses, either the dog isn't around anymore or the dog learns a lesson.

So after removing all the animals that nature put there, you need to start with poisons and all that to keep the insects away because nothing is eating them, the animals that do die sit around decomposing because nothing is around to drag them away and consume them, the ground is like concrete because nothing digs it up and basically...

you went away to the country and did nothing more but drag the city there with you. What an idea.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,469,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
You gotta love those that live in the country and then move most animals out so they can have a lawn that does little else other than use up water, require maintenance and so on or;

to protect their pets, displace the animals that were there first. If a dog gets sprayed by a skunk and second time, you have a stupid dog and maybe getting rid of the dog and not the skunks is the better plan. If a dog fights with Racoons and loses, either the dog isn't around anymore or the dog learns a lesson.

So after removing all the animals that nature put there, you need to start with poisons and all that to keep the insects away because nothing is eating them, the animals that do die sit around decomposing because nothing is around to drag them away and consume them, the ground is like concrete because nothing digs it up and basically...

you went away to the country and did nothing more but drag the city there with you. What an idea.

last I heard, man has domain over animals ( not the other way around )

Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 PM

9,312 posts, read 13,839,731 times
You'd know if it was skunk, deer would leave hoof-prints also, and rabbits would be deterred by the deer spray. Squirrels and groundhogs don't destroy large areas like that. So I'm thinking raccoon. Best to take care of the grubs so the raccoons have no reason to dig, because the raccoons will outsmart you every time. Dolphins have nothing on raccoons.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:42 PM

4,755 posts, read 8,380,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
last I heard, man has domain over animals ( not the other way around )
Not after the environmentalists are done with you....

Skunks have RIGHTS and they don't deserve to be treated like animals!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 PM

375 posts, read 578,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

I bet you're really fun to be around.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:05 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,328,308 times
Do you have wild hogs in your area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or