U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:58 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,700,302 times

Advertisements

cloven, I like your pictures. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 04:31 PM

67,936 posts, read 50,005,595 times
Not sure what type of Magnolia but a lot of these around here.

Todays picture. Usually blooms mid April .

Old 04-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Status: "looks like Fairbanks Alaska is about to become Subtropical" (set 5 days ago)

2,502 posts, read 1,771,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Not sure what type of Magnolia but a lot of these around here.

Todays picture. Usually blooms mid April .
I believe those are called Saucer Magnolias, there are quite a few growing in the Indianapolis area as well and down here they are through blooming aside from a few flowers here or there during tne summer, and they are at peak blooming stages about 2 weeks late in your location? YIKES. by the way i suppose they bloomed here right on schedule, guess you all must have had a super cold and snowy winter for those to be in full bloom so late.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Status: "looks like Fairbanks Alaska is about to become Subtropical" (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
^^^

Any evergreen Southern mags up there? Star and Saucer mags are a dime a dozen here.
North 42, Saucer and Star magnolias are way more common in the indianapolis area and to be honest with you, the evergreen southern magnolia is quite rarely seen in the indianapolis metro area, i would estimate that there are probably no more than a couple dozens of southern magnolias in the city of indianapolis, and i think that most were planted within the past 10 or 15 years as for the possibility of any evergreen southern magnolias in vermont or new hamshire, i think that their chances of surviving that far north or inland in new england is very slim at best. I believe they generally arent seen much further northwest in new england than parts of Massachusetts.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:17 AM

67,936 posts, read 50,005,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I believe those are called Saucer Magnolias, there are quite a few growing in the Indianapolis area as well and down here they are through blooming aside from a few flowers here or there during tne summer, and they are at peak blooming stages about 2 weeks late in your location? YIKES. by the way i suppose they bloomed here right on schedule, guess you all must have had a super cold and snowy winter for those to be in full bloom so late.
Thanks. Yup.. put it this way.. No tree alive today around here experienced a cold like we did in February. The only saving grace was the historic snow pack depth and length so it kept the ground from truly freezing up deep down.. Cold and snow carried over in March as well.

Last year same with the landscape. Late.

Check out my tree...

1-2 weeks behind normal leaf out which is end of April.. 3-4 weeks behind the warm anomaly year of 2012.

4/18/12 left already leafed. Started end of March.
4/7/15 middle nothing but tiny buds.
4/29/15 finally buds becoming apparent.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:23 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,302,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
North 42, Saucer and Star magnolias are way more common in the indianapolis area and to be honest with you, the evergreen southern magnolia is quite rarely seen in the indianapolis metro area, i would estimate that there are probably no more than a couple dozens of southern magnolias in the city of indianapolis, and i think that most were planted within the past 10 or 15 years as for the possibility of any evergreen southern magnolias in vermont or new hamshire, i think that their chances of surviving that far north or inland in new england is very slim at best. I believe they generally arent seen much further northwest in new england than parts of Massachusetts.
Same here, lots of Saucer and Star Mags, great big old specimens too, but I know of only 3 Southern mags in Windsor. I'm sure there are others, but I have yet to come across any others. I walk a lot, and am always observing the local plants and try to find interesting zone pushing species.
As for Vermont and New Hampshire having evergreen southern mags, I bet they grow in the southern extreme, especially along the tiny strip of coast. If we can grow them here, they should be able to as well, as Windsor and Boston are at the same latitude, and they are just north of Boston.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:51 AM

1,485 posts, read 1,302,328 times
Just checked out two of the Souther Mags in Windsor that I know of, and the largest one in Jackson Park is doing really well, just a bit of tip dieback, but full of new leaves. The other smaller one at the University of Windsor has about half dieback from the last two brutal winters. Last year it only had a bit of dieback.
I also checked on some of the large Mimossa Trees on Giles Bvd, and they are all alive, but with some branch tip dieback. Looks like these trees really are long term here.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:48 PM

Default reply

Same here, One of the Southern Magnolias near the Maggianos Little Italy Restaurant in Indianapolis is doing very well with and is producing lots of new leaves and new growth, and is probably going to bloom with flowers all summer long at the rate that it is going, still has lots of flower buds that have yet to blossom as of today June 14th, IIRC last year it seemed that this same tree blossomed almost entirely in early summer aka June/July, this season for some reason the flowers are far fewer than this time last year; however it has lots of flowers ready to bloom on it; last year when I had returned at the end of July or Beginning of August, this Southern Magnolia had all but completely finished blooming for the year, we shall see what this summer brings, last July was the Coldest July on modern record in Indy, perhaps that is what did it, My gut feeling is that this summer may be longer and hotter and perhaps more humid than last summer in Indianapolis, we shall see if my gut feeling is correct on this, the other Southern Magnolia near the same restaurant seems to have a few more dead branches on it and is much more unsightly to look at and I have no idea why that is. Both Specimens still alive though that is a relief. Another very small baby southern Magnolia in a persons yard apparently survived this past winter season relatively unaffected(its leaves were just a bit bronzed) not a clue what cultivar it is though, my guess is it is either an Edith Bogue or a Hardy Cultivar like it.

Last edited by Isleofpalms85; 06-14-2015 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 03:08 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,996,534 times
I saw the one larger Southern Magnolia that I know of here in Denver yesterday and while it wasn't as "full" as it should be, it actually didn't look half bad. And it had quite a few large flower blooms on it. If this winter doesn't bring any freak cold, it should look back to normal next summer. It's shocking how hardy these trees can actually be!

Old 08-13-2015, 11:47 PM

I actually am in Fort Worth, Texas right now, but at the last observation the Southern Magnolias near Maggianos Little Italy Restaurant in Indianapolis had nearly finished unfurling leaves and are probably about as full as they are going to be; and unless there are any freak arctic blasts this winter, I suspect that those trees may be back to normal, or at least closer to normal leaf fullness, by next summer. The Magnolias near that eatery aren't as full as they should be either, by the way.

Last edited by Isleofpalms85; 08-14-2015 at 12:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or