Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 02:03 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I actually am in Fort Worth, Texas right now, but at the last observation the Southern Magnolias near Maggianos Little Italy Restaurant in Indianapolis had nearly finished unfurling leaves and are probably about as full as they are going to be; and unless there are any freak arctic blasts this winter, I suspect that those trees may be back to normal, or at least closer to normal leaf fullness, by next summer. The Magnolias near that eatery aren't as full as they should be either, by the way.
Well, El Nino will be the wild card this winter. Here in Denver, from what I've read, that means possible freak Fall/Spring blizzards, but not unusual cold or snow in the actual winter. Just keep it above zero this winter and all should be fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 12:25 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
El Nino in central Indiana, especially a Strong El Nino, usually means a warmer and drier than average winter, with fewer opportunities for cold outbreaks, or major winter storms. But I saw what the Farmers Almanac is predicting for the Midwest this year and though I am taking all winter predictions with a massive grain of salt right now, the Red Farmers Almanac is predicting a Frigid and Snow Filled Winter for Indiana and Neighboring Great Lakes States, Keeping my own personal winter predictions at bay because the past couple of winters have been harsher than usual and I don't want to be caught off guard. But I also heard that the yellow old farmers almanac is also predicting a colder than average winter but I have yet to see the details on what that book has to say, all I know is that No Two Winters are exactly the same and that the coming winter will likewise differ in some way shape or form, from the last two winters in Indiana. By the way, I just checked on the Two Southern Magnolias today near the Restaurant and it appears that both have all but finished producing new leaves or blooming, and this means that they are as full a leaf density as they will get for this season. Any Who, I am planning for the worst and am hoping for the best as far as how this winter's weather affects the two saplings and other Southern Magnolias within the city of Indianapolis.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:46 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
This thread is getting old and going no-where. Denver can't grow healthy southern magnolias, unless they're under a glass roof or greenhouse.

i know they're gorgeous trees, but they're not going to give you satisfying results in Denver. Albuquerque, maybe, not not Denver.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:29 PM

384 posts, read 383,138 times
I personally have an Edith Bogue and a Brackens Brown Beauty in Springfield IL. I have seen about 30 of them in the area. DD Blanchard and little Gem didn't fair as well.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:20 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
What a difference a year makes! The Southern Magnolias here look amazing, all green and no bronzing at all so far. Hopefully the rest of February doesn't get too cold and stays near normal. Our coldest night here so far is 8f, I'm hoping that will be our coldest of the season so our trees can really thrive once spring hits, they really took a beating the last two winters!

Old 02-11-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
This thread is getting old and going no-where. Denver can't grow healthy southern magnolias, unless they're under a glass roof or greenhouse.

i know they're gorgeous trees, but they're not going to give you satisfying results in Denver. Albuquerque, maybe, not not Denver.
I drove by one yesterday, gleaming green and healthy. Not that big though. The bigger one I know of, I drove by a couple weeks ago. I'd say it's 15' tall and looks fine. It had some damage from the freak Nov. 2014 deep freeze, but has recovered.

I'm actually surprised at how many healthy southern magnolias there are in Kansas City. Very healthy... and they've been down to 0 degrees or a little below this winter (which Denver hasn't).

Old 03-19-2016, 08:50 PM

Smile Reply

I noticed very little in the way of foliage bronzing/leaf burn on the Two Southern Magnolias near the Maggianos little Italy restaurant on the North side of Indianapolis, and I also noted another southern magnolia at a plant nursery that had a lot more leaf burn/defoliation last winter at this time in Mid March than it has seen this year I suppose it makes sense though as Indianapolis failed to see any low Temperatures Below Zero, so I suspect that is why all the southern magnolias in Indianapolis area are in much better shape as of March 19th, with as I just mentioned very little to no leaf burn or defoliation this year and look much healthier this early spring than they looked in 2015 at this time and way healthier than they did in Late March 2014, when 3 trees that I know of(not counting others I don't know about) almost completely defoliatedperhaps this summer they will get closer to regaining their full thick leaf canopy

Old 03-22-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I noticed very little in the way of foliage bronzing/leaf burn on the Two Southern Magnolias near the Maggianos little Italy restaurant on the North side of Indianapolis, and I also noted another southern magnolia at a plant nursery that had a lot more leaf burn/defoliation last winter at this time in Mid March than it has seen this year I suppose it makes sense though as Indianapolis failed to see any low Temperatures Below Zero, so I suspect that is why all the southern magnolias in Indianapolis area are in much better shape as of March 19th, with as I just mentioned very little to no leaf burn or defoliation this year and look much healthier this early spring than they looked in 2015 at this time and way healthier than they did in Late March 2014, when 3 trees that I know of(not counting others I don't know about) almost completely defoliatedperhaps this summer they will get closer to regaining their full thick leaf canopy
The ones I know of in Denver have no bronzing this winter and look healthy. The coldest we got at my house was 6 or 7 above zero this winter, and even on those days, the highs were in the 20s.

I've been in Kansas City twice this winter and all the magnolias there look perfect. And they've been colder than Denver at times.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:59 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Are these Southern magnolias?

(The tree next to the building, behind the light).

Last edited by B87; 03-22-2016 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 04:57 PM

Default Reply

Yes that is a Southern Magnolia behind that street light and what has been the topic of this >2 year old thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden