Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,342,251 times

Advertisements

Some of the people in my beautiful old neighborhood have decided to take it upon themselves to form a society to "revamp" the beautiful garden and park in Mount Vernon Square. They want to cut down most of the MATURE trees and re-design the square and park. Apparently they've managed to raise a few million dollars as well.

Some of the residents are trying to STOP them from cutting down ALL BUT ONE of the mature trees in an effort to implement their plan. The existing trees DO include many non-native trees such as Japanese maples and cherries. BUT trees take a LONG time to grow and cherry and Japanese maple trees provide beauty in many seasons. Cutting down ALL the trees is Crazy!

It looks like the group has hired a carpetbagger from Philadelphia to do the "landscape design." I am a native plant lover like many, but there is a time and a place for everything. I think having exotic trees is acceptable in more formal, urban gardens. Cutting down valuable trees is insane. Rant is over.

Mount Vernon Conservancy | Trees in Mount Vernon would be cut down, replaced in park plan - Baltimore Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 04:13 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,691,990 times
Damn, I wish I could get some of those citizens here to Seattle to cut down some of these crappy sczhitteous trees that are absolute junk, prevent any sunlight from ever reaching the ground, crash down on utility wires regularly interrupting electric service, keel over constantly due to their shallow root systems, drop kazillions of tons of wet slippery leaves everywhere in the fall so that you can hardly skid down the sidewalk, and are a general nuisance in every possible way.

Even the squirrels are pizzed off about the overgrowth of poor quality trash trees and are moving elsewhere.

Could you send these Philly carpetbaggers to my neighborhood? I would welcome them.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 AM

24,094 posts, read 10,416,836 times
That article is from 2010.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,555,520 times
'Save the Trees Alliance' fights to stop tree removal at Mount Vernon Place - Baltimore Sun

There is always more to the story.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:53 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,743,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Damn, I wish I could get some of those citizens here to Seattle to cut down some of these crappy sczhitteous trees that are absolute junk, prevent any sunlight from ever reaching the ground, crash down on utility wires regularly interrupting electric service, keel over constantly due to their shallow root systems, drop kazillions of tons of wet slippery leaves everywhere in the fall so that you can hardly skid down the sidewalk, and are a general nuisance in every possible way.

Even the squirrels are pizzed off about the overgrowth of poor quality trash trees and are moving elsewhere.

Could you send these Philly carpetbaggers to my neighborhood? I would welcome them.

The "carpetbaggers" firm of OLIN is nationally and internationally known and very respected for their work in preservation as well as design. What a weird misuse of the pejorative term and for a firm practically in the backyard of the city. Azoria you may have to come up with some $$$ for them to come and fix things. This just lists some of their work: OLIN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's sad when people who know nothing about trees and tree health try to obstruct this kind of plan based on how the trees look to them. Never mind that half the trees are unhealthy and not suited to their location. Since they are not likely to live much longer, no matter what care is given now, they will begin to add to the decayed look of the area and become one more urban blight story instead of serious renewal. It's the same dumb argument for keeping invasives; "they look so pretty."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
LOL Yes there almost always is, especially if you wish to think for yourself. Thanks for the link.

Edit: Just thought it might be interesting to see who the awful "carpetbagger" is: http://www.planetizen.com/node/64060

Last edited by J&Em; 12-02-2013 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden