U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 04:03 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times

Advertisements

I bought two orchids for my wife last year and I told her I wanted them to bloom again (long story).

Well, they are now sending out flower stalks (no - they are not roots).

How do I make sure these orchids successfully bloom (fertilization, watering, light, etc). I convinced her to keep them in the master bathroom, where they get filtered sunlight and the steam from showers.

It's very important to us to see these orchids bloom again, so thanks for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:04 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,241,213 times
It sounds like simply continuing what you are doing should allow it to bloom if it is sending up a flower stalk.

It's been many years since I had any, I gave mine away when I moved to a house where I couldn't grow as many indoor plants as I had. My Botany professor was an avid orchid grower and I worked in her lab for a while. What I remember most from that time was that there were quite a few very different orchids with different needs; some preferred even moisture all the time and others needed to be drenched and let dry out. They all seemed to need a very weak fertilizer but had different soil types for their pots. A one shoe fits all answer won't help because of this. Your best bet on care that is specific to the orchid you have would be to check a knowledgeable source like one of these:

Orchid Care Tips: Light --which breaks it down by groups of orchids with names and pictures so you can ID your orchid

Growing Orchids in the Home ---This is the general help page of the American Orchid Society but they also have a series of specific care pdfs that can be accessed if you know the type of orchid you have: How to Grow Specific Orchids

Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 AM

4,114 posts, read 7,601,533 times
Agree with J&Em that whatever 'care' and 'situ' your orchids are in, it is working...
They are very tough and 'recoverable' plants in my experience.

No orchid expert, but we have a dozen that were all store bought or gifts, and all of them rebloom at least twice per year. Some are a decade plus old. No special attention: I may repot the mix every year or two, and I pinch/cut off straggly, dead root tips, but other than 7 months of them in their pots in situ, with zero attention all summer, and occasional attention during the 5 'winter' months we attend to them, there is no magic I do.

Good links given by J&Em, for reading and background, but they are very vigorous, tough plants, imo.

Some morning diffused sunlight, no harsh afternoon direct sun rays, occasional misting, and those tips will be budding for weeks to months...
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 12-14-2013 at 11:55 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 08:04 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,241,213 times
Thanks motordavid. The orchids in your pictures are just beautiful!! My favorite picture was the first, more closeup picture. The colors are just so pretty.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 AM

4,114 posts, read 7,601,533 times
Thank you, J&Em...first pic was a 'setup' shot using my wife's art quilt design board for a background, grouping our bloomers in front of that background, and wonderful diffused eastern morning light. Handheld, my old Canon 40D, etc.
Appreciate the props.
BR, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden