U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 24,055,612 times
Reputation: 3189

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Wow, that's some great pictures! Thanks for sharing. Ya, I definitely see the difference. I am getting more and more excited about this. Any experiences with growing them indoors?
I haven't tried it, but the Confederate Jasmine is so hardy, I think you could give it a try.

It can live in full sun or shade (mine is in deep shade for much of the day and still flowers really well). It can take a lot of watering or none (at this point, I really don't water it at all....I mostly ignore it except when it's flowering ).

It's cheap too, so if it doesn't work, no great loss.

If you're still in Vegas, maybe they'd have it at your local nursery? Buy a small plant and keep it potted, then have it move with you to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2007, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Loss Wages
1,310 posts, read 4,436,256 times
Reputation: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I haven't tried it, but the Confederate Jasmine is so hardy, I think you could give it a try.

It can live in full sun or shade (mine is in deep shade for much of the day and still flowers really well). It can take a lot of watering or none (at this point, I really don't water it at all....I mostly ignore it except when it's flowering ).

It's cheap too, so if it doesn't work, no great loss.

If you're still in Vegas, maybe they'd have it at your local nursery? Buy a small plant and keep it potted, then have it move with you to Chicago.
OOOH, I'm getting excited about this! Thanks, riveree, always good for great information as usual. Confederat Jasmine? hmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 05:21 PM
 
214 posts, read 779,861 times
Reputation: 99
What beautiful Confederate jasmine! I had two lovely vines in Charlotte NC. Here in Virginia it does not seem to do very well. It dies back in the winter then takes all summer to grow just a bit and it doesn't flower. I've had better luck here with Carolina Jasmine, with it's lovely yellow blossoms. However profusely it blooms I do not detect any scent at all. This summer I had a night blooming jasmine in a pot on the deck. It had the most wonderful smelling blooms! Sadly, I decided to treat it as an annual and let it die. I do have some sort of jasmine tree that I bought in NC. I used to leave it out all winter there but here in VA I bring it in when it gets cold. It is huge now and it will bloom during the winter now and then which is so nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2007, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Loss Wages
1,310 posts, read 4,436,256 times
Reputation: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelongboatkey View Post
What beautiful Confederate jasmine! I had two lovely vines in Charlotte NC. Here in Virginia it does not seem to do very well. It dies back in the winter then takes all summer to grow just a bit and it doesn't flower. I've had better luck here with Carolina Jasmine, with it's lovely yellow blossoms. However profusely it blooms I do not detect any scent at all. This summer I had a night blooming jasmine in a pot on the deck. It had the most wonderful smelling blooms! Sadly, I decided to treat it as an annual and let it die. I do have some sort of jasmine tree that I bought in NC. I used to leave it out all winter there but here in VA I bring it in when it gets cold. It is huge now and it will bloom during the winter now and then which is so nice!
Interesting experience and good to know which can survive a winter. Sounds they all need to be brought in when it's cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2007, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
2,173 posts, read 5,038,462 times
Reputation: 1436
I e-mailed Logees with links to the photos of the Swedish Jasmine and asked them if they had heard of it. This is the reply I got back from their horticulturist:

"The plant your looking for is Philadelphus or "Mock Orange". There are many species and cultivars. Coronarius is a native of Europe and widely grown. There are also double forms. It is an upright shrub with intensely fragrant flowers often called False Jasmine. The hardiest true jasmine is Jasminum officinale which is hardy here in CT with protection."

There are some photos of Mock Orange here
http://www.forestfarm.com/search/search.asp?aPage=1&index=genus&field-keywords=Philadelphus (broken link)
That is what they're calling Jasmine in Sweden. I've got to get me some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2007, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,184 posts, read 18,832,977 times
Reputation: 3694
Wonderful thread, and many thanks to all for the jasmine sharing. Now of course I want one, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 AM
 
Location: a nation in decline
10,366 posts, read 10,843,741 times
Reputation: 3972
I love the mock orange! We had a 50' hedge of it in NH (tall variety), and it was a profusion of bloom and fragrance! Unfortunately, it died back due to lack of sun (neighbor's trees grew up over the years and blocked the sun). I'm thrilled to know that I can have it again here in NC!!

This has been a wonderful thread - helped me identify the jasmine we have next to the porch on our new home. It must be the Confederate Jasmine from all the descriptions. I cut it back and it just grows and grows - it weaves itself around the flag pole, through the fence, through the porch railing, up and around the rain gutters! It's spunky!
And it smells so sweet! Amazing that it can grow in total shade. It gets no sun on that side and fills our screened porch with fragrance that is an absolute delight. Not overpowering, just refreshing and subtle and sweet.

I'm so looking forward to growing some new types of shrubs, plants, trees and flowers in our new location (as soon as I figure out how to dig solid-rocky-clay! I've been putting in plants with shallow roots, or working in raised beds to avoid that digging!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Loss Wages
1,310 posts, read 4,436,256 times
Reputation: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I e-mailed Logees with links to the photos of the Swedish Jasmine and asked them if they had heard of it. This is the reply I got back from their horticulturist:

"The plant your looking for is Philadelphus or "Mock Orange". There are many species and cultivars. Coronarius is a native of Europe and widely grown. There are also double forms. It is an upright shrub with intensely fragrant flowers often called False Jasmine. The hardiest true jasmine is Jasminum officinale which is hardy here in CT with protection."

There are some photos of Mock Orange here
Searching -- Forestfarm.com (http://www.forestfarm.com/search/search.asp?aPage=1&index=genus&field-keywords=Philadelphus - broken link)
That is what they're calling Jasmine in Sweden. I've got to get me some.

Gorgeous plants! Thanks for the link. I saved it with a few other garden websites. I"m glad to hear others have the same interest and are learning as much as I am! I can't wait to get one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Naptowne, Alaska
15,026 posts, read 25,420,890 times
Reputation: 13303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
I'm sorry I'm late!
The specimen we have is "doftjasmin". I can't find a translation for it, but it means "scent/fragrance jasmin", due to the immense scent/fragrance from the flowers during blooming. It is also called kanariejasmin.
I've found the latin name for it as well: Jasminum odoratissimum.
There is some information about the jasmine on this website:
Jasminum odoratissimum
(there's a name-data base in the bottom that I tried. It didn't work well for me, but it might work better for someone else)

Ours have been here for almost 40 years, so they're quite durable once they've started growing.

We live in southern Sweden, but due to the high altitude in the area, we have the same temperatures and climate as in the northern part of the country (we can have temperature differences of 25 F between my village and the closest town, which is lower in altitude and next to a huge lake) so the sort of jasmine we have can handle pretty much all sorts of weather- especially the cold.
I went to visit Sweden for New Years. I broke off a couple branches from the big Jasmine bush in her backyard and smuggled it back to Alaska. I now have leaves! I'm hoping I can get this 40 some year old Jasmine to root and grow in Alaska!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Loss Wages
1,310 posts, read 4,436,256 times
Reputation: 529
Wow, Rance, that was not what I expected to hear out of your post; that you went all the way to Sweden and snuck a piece of this fabulous plant back to Alaska. It's something I would do. Hehe, good for you. I'm excited for you, you must keep this thread posted as to the future of this little plant!

Big super thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top