Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:46 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,071,366 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what supplements fed to horses are bad for the garden. This is complete news to me, and I suspect just used as an excuse as to why a given garden did not do well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:10 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,211,807 times
Word of advice: Buy a rabbit and use the pellets on your garden. You do not have to compost rabbit manure; it can be placed straight onto plants and does not burn them. (Manure, not urine)

The pellets are fabulous and actually act like a slow release fertilizer since they don't break down immediately. You can feed the rabbit fresh greens and hay, etc., to enhance the pellets, and you can also start a thriving worm colony in their pewp for super rich soil with loads of worms and casings . If you use straw for bedding, the straw fines (along with greens and hay scraps) will fall through the wire into the manure pile and create a nice rich compost mix.

I raised about 10 rabbits not too long ago and used them to fertilize my entire property, veggie garden and all of my trees and pines in the spring and fall. Every spring after the snow thaw, I would haul wheelbarrows full of it.

Great stuff!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 PM

44,615 posts, read 61,546,293 times
Horse manure is high in weed and salt content. It is also a common carrier of Tetanus. Gardeners are susceptible to it, especially those not vaccinated for Tetanus.
American Rose Society

Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 AM

639 posts, read 1,962,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Word of advice: Buy a rabbit and use the pellets on your garden. You do not have to compost rabbit manure; it can be placed straight onto plants and does not burn them. (Manure, not urine)

The pellets are fabulous and actually act like a slow release fertilizer since they don't break down immediately. You can feed the rabbit fresh greens and hay, etc., to enhance the pellets, and you can also start a thriving worm colony in their pewp for super rich soil with loads of worms and casings . If you use straw for bedding, the straw fines (along with greens and hay scraps) will fall through the wire into the manure pile and create a nice rich compost mix.

I raised about 10 rabbits not too long ago and used them to fertilize my entire property, veggie garden and all of my trees and pines in the spring and fall. Every spring after the snow thaw, I would haul wheelbarrows full of it.

Great stuff!
If you check craigslist you should find people selling rabbit manure, which is a lot easier than raising rabbits yourself.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:29 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,716,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I live in a semi rural town, with plentiful horse farms. Many of them have signs out with "free manure" offers right now. I am under the impression, right or wrong, that manure is best after being aged and composted. After that point, it is a wonderful fertilizer.

Before I take up one of these offers, what should I know to ask? Thanks.
Mattie, my biggest question would be....do they feed grass hay or alfalfa! If the owners feed grass hay, you're going to get more weed seeds. If they use straw instead of shavings, you'll get more weeds. If you've got an out of the way spot, where you can pile the manure up, then turn the pile once a week or so, you'll have some darn nice compost to add to your gardens.

If you've got someone unloading the truck with you, you can even layer some Dolomite and fish/crab meal, PLUS any green plant material you've got laying around. Not only will it speed up the decomp process, but it will heat up the pile and burn off more of the weed seeds.

For some people, maintaining a compost pile is "work". For me, it's exercise which keeps me healthy and keeps my plants healthy. In the case of the vegetable gardens...they also help to keep my family healthy. I kind of look at it this way....my plants are kind of like children. Many of them, I either started from seeds or was given rooted branches or cuttings, from someone, and have been raising and caring for them for decades now.

I used to be a professional landscaper. Many times, I would have to remove damaged or unwanted plants. Because I couldn't just KILL them, I'd bring them home and doctor them, or propagate them. Yes, I have many, many children. Just as with the rest of my human family ...I want to give them the best, most wholesome foods. I always looked at it this way....if fast food is bad for your kids, fast food is probably not good for your soil or plants, either.

Home grown compost is like a big ole pot of rich, vegetable laden, slow-cooked beef stew.....vs....a lunchable.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:41 AM

32 posts, read 43,658 times
Alot of good info... For others wanting to compost or cook manures, you typically want to cover your pile will plastic tarps, to help spead the cooking process, as it will help facilitate heating and keep the heat.

All the best
CW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden