Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:25 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times

Advertisements

For me it's daisies, coneflower and echinacea. Never even liked them before...but they're growing on me.
I have to do some research on zones, hardiness, care, bloom time, invasiveness, etc, but at least they're a "maybe" this year -- as opposed to yet another Jacob's Ladder or daylily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:38 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Right now the only thing growing anywhere in my yard is the depth of the snow covering it.

Closing in on 2 feet at this point.

Spring seems very far in the future at this point.

I haven't even seen any catalogs yet but maybe when the roads are passable and the mail can get through there will be some and I can daydream.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:03 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
I think the idea of growing more of my own herbal supplements.......is growing on me. More people are educating themselves on the benefits of plant-based medicines. Because of that, prices are going up. Time to start thinking about growing more of them, right here at home.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Lillies! I never liked them because, to me, they really stink! They don't last long and are ugly when they are done blooming.

But...In somebody else's yard, they are pretty, or in large beds. I just can't get near them because of the stink.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:06 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
After several feet of snow are gone I might think of growing stevia, the natural sweetener. I'll have to google and get requirements for growing it to see if I can do it here. At least it would be organic and it wouldn't be mixed in with anything else if I grow it myself. It is expensive in the stores too so I would save money.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:41 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
I agree with the other posters RE the herbs. We can count our blessings that we have the ability to grow these ourselves. Good luck with the stevia iNE.

I now like pokeweed. When I first moved in I did kill a lot of it and I thought it was a bad ugly weed. Granted, the berries are very poisonous, but so are parts of many other ornamental plants. I found out it was native. Then the love affair began. I now let it grow in some of the wilder areas in my yard. Not only does it have pretty little white flowers, but it is undemanding, has ornamental berries and red stems. It is a neat plant.

If push comes to shove, it can also be eaten if prepared properly. I have no plans to eat it and I do not recommend eating it, btw. In the areas of the country where it is eaten, it is called "poke sallet." A big plus this year was the unexpected fall color:

Old 02-16-2014, 11:50 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
I'm going to be planting more bee-attracting perennials this spring. I was swarmed by bees and badly stung as a kid so I've always been mildly phobic about them. But there's been so much in the press lately about the decline of pollinators and colony collapse disorder that I figured it would be a good idea. As long as I don't plant them too close to my house LOL.

I'm also going to be putting more herbs and spices in pots this year.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:48 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I always hated zonal geraniums, and hated the smell. Now I pot them all over the porch, the back stoop, the garage, the shed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Right now the only thing growing anywhere in my yard is the depth of the snow covering it.
Generally at this time of year, the snowdrops would be blooming and the croci would be poking their leaves out of the soil.

I have a feeling it's going to be a late spring ... *pout*

Old 02-16-2014, 06:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I always hated zonal geraniums, and hated the smell. Now I pot them all over the porch, the back stoop, the garage, the shed ...

Generally at this time of year, the snowdrops would be blooming and the croci would be poking their leaves out of the soil.

I have a feeling it's going to be a late spring ... *pout*
Hard to tell!
Last winter in Michigan was incredibly mild - but we had a very late frost that either ruined or delayed planting, followed by (in my county anyhow) a record-breaking wet, rainy, stormy early summer
This was one of the most brutal winters on record, yet IIRC, Farmers Almanac is calling for an easy spring and summer.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:09 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm going to be planting more bee-attracting perennials this spring. I was swarmed by bees and badly stung as a kid so I've always been mildly phobic about them. But there's been so much in the press lately about the decline of pollinators and colony collapse disorder that I figured it would be a good idea. As long as I don't plant them too close to my house LOL.

I'm also going to be putting more herbs and spices in pots this year.
What is the reason to attract bees? Do you have veggies that need pollinating ? If you do, I say get the mason bees instead of honey bees. They are better pollinators and don't sting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden