Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

This bug (or beetle, whatever) has been discovered in the Denver metro area in the past year. So sad to think of all the beautiful Ash trees that will be killed. They make such great shade trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 05:29 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
This bug (or beetle, whatever) has been discovered in the Denver metro area in the past year. So sad to think of all the beautiful Ash trees that will be killed. They make such great shade trees.
The epicenter of the Emerald Ash Borer outbreak was in southeast Michigan. It's likely that it came over in shipping pallets from China. It's just a crime that our penchant for cheap Chinese goods--and our governments unwillingness to quarantine shipments--has brought on this terrible tragedy of enormous proportions. Heck, I remember when travel between states had check points to prevent the spread of agricultural pests and diseases. Now it's a free-for-all.

There is probably not one large ash tree still living in southern Michigan. All have been wiped out by the ash borer. Only one species, Blue Ash, seems to be somewhat resistant--but Blue Ash are relatively rare in our area and quite a bit smaller than some of the other towering ash tree species. When will we ever learn?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:54 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
The epicenter of the Emerald Ash Borer outbreak was in southeast Michigan. It's likely that it came over in shipping pallets from China. It's just a crime that our penchant for cheap Chinese goods--and our governments unwillingness to quarantine shipments--has brought on this terrible tragedy of enormous proportions. Heck, I remember when travel between states had check points to prevent the spread of agricultural pests and diseases. Now it's a free-for-all.

There is probably not one large ash tree still living in southern Michigan. All have been wiped out by the ash borer. Only one species, Blue Ash, seems to be somewhat resistant--but Blue Ash are relatively rare in our area and quite a bit smaller than some of the other towering ash tree species. When will we ever learn?
Yes indeed. I had a humungus and once-beautiful ash tree removed two years ago because it was pretty well dead from ash borer disease. Thank you, China, NOT.

Oaks are beautiful but very slow-growing. I ditto maple and hickory trees.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
OP I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your tree. I was looking into getting an ash a few years ago, but I got scared because of the borer. But the arboretum or some such group has been working on ash trees or ash tree crosses that are not susceptible to borer. You can do some research and see if you can locate one of those.

I LOVE tulip poplars, but I wouldn't put a poplar near the house. There are a lot of beautiful tulip trees near my work, and during some of the storms we had last year, they lost a lot of big limbs. I second the Sycamore. These are beautiful trees, and in my yard they're one of the trees that doesn't drop limbs and stuff when there is a storm.

It's hard to replace a big tree. Sadly, I don't have any recommendations. To make the loss a little less harsh, I would recommend selecting a slower growing tree...for strength...and then having a landscaper install a larger size.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:47 AM

50,363 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I have heard that there are new types of Elm trees that are not subject to Dutch Elm. Maybe you could get one as a way of fighting back.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:18 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
OP I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your tree. I was looking into getting an ash a few years ago, but I got scared because of the borer. But the arboretum or some such group has been working on ash trees or ash tree crosses that are not susceptible to borer. You can do some research and see if you can locate one of those.

I LOVE tulip poplars, but I wouldn't put a poplar near the house. There are a lot of beautiful tulip trees near my work, and during some of the storms we had last year, they lost a lot of big limbs. I second the Sycamore. These are beautiful trees, and in my yard they're one of the trees that doesn't drop limbs and stuff when there is a storm.

It's hard to replace a big tree. Sadly, I don't have any recommendations. To make the loss a little less harsh, I would recommend selecting a slower growing tree...for strength...and then having a landscaper install a larger size.
I've been visiting local parks for many years now, and I agree with the assessment of Tulip Trees vs. Sycamores. Both are beautiful, huge, and long-lived, but when a tulip tree fails, it tends to do so completely - the entire tree may come crashing down or its crown goes to pieces with huge limbs landing everywhere. A Sycamore, however, falls apart from age or storm damage in far smaller pieces, often leaving nothing but a somehow still living wreck of a trunk with a few limbs growing in advanced age. In short, a tulip tree near a home could easily flatten it when it comes down, while the sycamore is far less likely to cause catastrophic damage.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
You might want to check out a Blue Ash, they have been resistant to the Ash Borer so far, and are the only ash trees standing here in the Windsor area. Most ash trees were killed here about ten years ago.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post

I live in a newer housing development (9 years now) and they would plant the exact same tree down each block. My block has Autumn Blaze Maples. But some blocks got all Ash trees. You would think they would have learned not to do that, in the event of a disease that kills certain species of trees The park across the street from us is lined on all four sides with Ash trees.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I live in a newer housing development (9 years now) and they would plant the exact same tree down each block. My block has Autumn Blaze Maples. But some blocks got all Ash trees. You would think they would have learned not to do that, in the event of a disease that kills certain species of trees The park across the street from us is lined on all four sides with Ash trees.
I'm prepared for the inevitable, but I'll go down fighting; treatment for the forty-year old ash in my front yard is scheduled soon. What a sad day it will be when the gorgeous purple ash trees on Yosemite in Greenwood Village are no more. Those trees are stunning in autumn!

Our HOA has been hard at work for several years with plantings to diversify the trees in the neighborhood green spaces, and I've pitched in occasionally. I'm glad they were thinking ahead.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-25-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm prepared for the inevitable, but I'll go down fighting; treatment for the forty-year old ash in my front yard is scheduled soon. What a sad day it will be when the gorgeous purple ash trees on Yosemite in Greenwood Village are no more. Those trees are stunning in autumn!

Our HOA has been hard at work for several years with plantings to diversify the trees in the neighborhood green spaces, and I've pitched in occasionally. I'm glad they were thinking ahead.
I just love how they look in summer! I live in Stapleton, and apparently idiots did the tree planting. Lots of blocks and parks with all one type of tree. Trees planted too close to houses, or directly in front of the house to block the whole house once it gets bigger. Uhg!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden