U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 01:33 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,873,000 times

Advertisements

I don't post on here much, mostly just lurk and steal ideas. You have a nice plot there cambium. Makes me want to get to work on mine. Too much snow left here in Maine and my area is wet. Nice to see what is to come though. I enjoyed all the pictures. Very nice. How do those 4x4s (?) work for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 02:15 PM

65,012 posts, read 47,336,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I enjoyed all the pictures. Very nice. How do those 4x4s (?) work for you?
Thanks. Neighbor took down his fence and I jumped on the posts before he junked them. Their ok, keeps the soil in during down pours. I'm on a natural slope so I get a lot of runoff. plus it make it look nice having a border. I didn't go all the way around though,

Old 04-04-2014, 10:06 AM

Potato time.

A family member was going to throw out potatoes back in January and I took them. They are the ones in the tray after storing them in the basement. The seed bags I bought as well

Pretty impressive how thick and tall they sprouted without dirt. I assume the moisture they were getting inside the potato itself. I have to plant these a.s.a.p

Old 04-04-2014, 06:07 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,658,725 times
LOL...on the potatoes, Cam. I got so impatient, that I actually had those suckers cut and callousing last month. Since I didn't want to miss the decreasing moon cycle, I snuck the little bugger in 5" pots, to get them growing. They're breaking the surface now. C'mon warm weather though, because I've got a whole lot of goodies in the greenhouse I'd like to get outside!

My seed starting rack is nearly emptied now and I'm going to toss a few more things into starting cells, since we're in an increasing cycle. By the time they come up, it should be time plant outdoors as well. Everything that I have planted outside is coming up nicely. There are beets, carrots, radishes, Mesclun salad mix, kale, spinach, romaine and snow peas. Eeehaw...sucess with rushing the cold weather stuff.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:17 AM

Been pondering and planning.. have to rotate crops so it's a bit tough based on sunlight and preferences.

These are the 2 main beds.. I wanted the taller plants on the right bed but I had the Tomatoes there last year. I have room for something else so I'm not sure what to put there yet. Squash and Pumpkin take up so much room not sure.

Any thoughts, idea, feedback, suggestions is appreciated.

Wanted to put the corn above the walking path and potatoes but its going to block the morning sun eventually. So I got it closer to the house on the North side. I might swap String Beans with Corn since more sun hits the String bean area. Pine tree shades the Beets area after 1pm

Old 04-05-2014, 03:24 PM

So potatoes can't be near Tomatoes. Corn cant be near Tomatoes. Potatoes can't be near Cucumbers. And I forgot the Onions on there.

So back to the drawing board.

Companion Planting

Old 04-05-2014, 03:26 PM

By the way...

Patiently waiting to be outdoors since October. Banana plant bolting, Lemon plant budding, Grapefruit doing ok, and & a Bald Eagle watching them. :-)

Old 04-06-2014, 06:47 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,658,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So potatoes can't be near Tomatoes. Corn cant be near Tomatoes. Potatoes can't be near Cucumbers. And I forgot the Onions on there.

So back to the drawing board.

Companion Planting
LMAO..... I was looking at your plan and thinking...uh oh.....those tomaters are awful close to the corn! Hahaha.... I know....right? I've been going through exactly the same thing here. "Yeah....okay, I got it!!!! This'll go here and yep! Got it!! Damn it! That won't work EITHER! They HATE beans! LOL"

My daughter is learning, for the first time....that truly....T-R-U-L-Y....there's a whole lot more to "successful" gardening, than she ever imagined.

Any time that someone tells me they're going to start a garden....for the first time, I say, "Please...start SMALL...and pick just a FEW of your favorite, easy-to-grow plants. Learn all about soil, pH, texture, drainage, those plant needs, companion planting, rotation, etc. The next year add a couple of other things to your list." There really is so much to learn...even for us old timers. Heck, we're STILL learning new things...trying things we've never tried before.

I think that's the great thing about many gardeners, you know? They love LIFE...bringing new life, tending, fixing, protecting....being grateful for harvest and learning new ways of doing so. As I'm getting older, the logic of "wear and tear of getting down LOW"...has me building more elevated, LINED beds. The beds are deeper than necessary, in order to allow me to also easily use plastic and/or screening, in order to get a jump start on Spring or protect from critters. LOL

Cam..can you put your squash and pumpkin over in the beds with your corn? Peas and Beans can also grow in that area.

In mine, I'm putting squash/pumpkin/cukes in the same garden with the corn. I'll be putting the green beans and peas in that one, as well.

In the garden area where most of the tomatoes will be, I'll be planting the cole crops, onions, beets, carrots, carrots, kale....etc. I also have an indoor raised bed in the greenhouse which has mixed greens, cherry toms, & straight 8 cukes in it....and a nice little raised bed outside of the greenhouse with additional greens, radishes, snow peas, etc. I'm going to have to create another tomato garden, as well as more room for cukes, pumpkins and squash. I love gardening.....LOL

Old 04-06-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Cam..can you put your squash and pumpkin over in the beds with your corn? Peas and Beans can also grow in that area.
Great post! Yeah it's fun and challenging which is one reason why I keep doing it. I'm learning more about the PH which I never really paid attention to until last year. I've had some good success but wondered if it could be better or if it was luck.

I want to can a ton of jars so I want a lot of Tomato plants. My goal is to have at least 40. Problem is... I had them in the other garden bed last year so I want to rotate them. There's something else to add into the figuring out chaos. LOL

Here's my new layout. Also went East/West rows instead of North/South on the right bed..

I think this will work except the only thing I'm worried about is the Corn shading the Potatoes too much and the Tomatoes on East side shading the Eggplants and Bell Peppers too much.

Thanks for the feedback! Love it.

I have 2 smaller beds in the front yard I will do Pumpkin and more Potatoes. Not the best sunlight for the pumpkin there but that's more a bonus crop than necessary

Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 PM

40 posts, read 66,896 times
OP, Very cool. BTW, whats your yard size?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden