U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 04:53 AM

64,991 posts, read 47,321,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2ram View Post
OP, Very cool. BTW, whats your yard size?
The Veggie Garden size or yard size?

The Garden Beds go like this. I have 4 because I have trees all over the place and couldn't use just one spot. LOL

16x13 (corn bed in pic)
19x11 (where tomatoes are in pic)
14x4 (front yard)
14x4 (front yard)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM

I did a manual soil test. Front beds where the Potatoes & Pumpkins are going it came out to just under 7.0. For Pumpkins it's fine. For Potatoes its not. It's too high for Potatoes. They want 5.0-5.5(acid).

So I'll have to add something to lower the PH there. I heard firewood ash does but not sure how long that takes.

And here's the soil I remember! How disgusting is this??

Don't get me wrong... the crops look and do fine but the surface is an eye sore.

I tilled by hand that little part on the right you can see how nice the soil looks tilled or wet. But when dry you can see the rocks and cement like features with the dryness and the clumps. Ugh

Old 04-07-2014, 01:55 PM

April 7, 2014.

Added this to the Potato bed. Added a little Lime and Blood meal to the rest of the garden beds.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:46 AM

45 Yellow Potatoes are in.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 PM

16,736 posts, read 20,490,725 times
Can I play? Here's my indoor cherry tomato garden. They're on my dresser with a south facing window, and a grow light. They started out terribly leggy, but I got a grow light and today repotted them deeper into the soil. Hopefully they will make it. They're a Burpee patio hybrid red cherry.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to get 3 heirloom tomato plants from Burpee that will get planted outside in a cement planter that I have been assigned on the community patio at the senior apts where I live. A green cherry tomato (that stays green), a dark purple, and a large yellow/orange striped one. Will share a photo of my 2014 outside garden when I get that going, hopefully this weekend..

Is it okay to share my 2014 garden photos, too? Hope so. Mine won't take up much room lol!

Question: For your potatoes, do you layer them with straw when they start growing? I used to do that and it was soooooo easy to harvest potatoes. I'd mix different colors of potatoes, then you could just lift up the straw and grab what you wanted without having to dig them up.

You just wait for them to get tall, then nearly bury them with straw, wait for them to grow more, and do the same. They'll grow potatoes all through the straw.

I miss having a big garden, but I don't miss all that early prep work lol! I love how you used the patio table for a sifter. Very clever!

Just tomatoes for me this year. Easy peasy. Never grew any indoors before, so that will be fun.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Is it okay to share my 2014 garden photos, too? Hope so. Mine won't take up much room lol!

Question: For your potatoes, do you layer them with straw when they start growing? I used to do that and it was soooooo easy to harvest potatoes. I'd mix different colors of potatoes, then you could just lift up the straw and grab what you wanted without having to dig them up.
Yes I did hay, it protects the stem from the light I heard and hold them up as they get taller. But the potatoes are still in the ground.

Sure share photos. I know the title of the thread can get thrown off. My main purpose aside from sharing interacting and learning is to look back at my garden experience success and woes. Good luck with your tomatoes and yeah, lots of prep work but worth it.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:57 PM

Always impressed when I see it.

Pumpkin seed planted 4/2/14. 7 days ago.

Seedling just popped up.

Check out the roots already.

That white you see inside the container is coffee filter so the dirt doesn't come out the bottom holes.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:51 PM

16,736 posts, read 20,490,725 times
Whoa! Makes me think of Little Shop of Horrors! LOL!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:47 PM

6,056 posts, read 7,958,521 times
This is amazing! I just went and looked all the way through 2013! Wow! I just closed on my first house a couple weeks ago and I am looking forward to trying my hand at gardening. I know nothing...yet! I think I'll start with a couple easy things and see how it goes. Your threads are great inspiration! Looking forward to seeing your progress through 2014!

Old 04-10-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
This is amazing! I just went and looked all the way through 2013! Wow! I just closed on my first house a couple weeks ago and I am looking forward to trying my hand at gardening. I know nothing...yet! I think I'll start with a couple easy things and see how it goes. Your threads are great inspiration! Looking forward to seeing your progress through 2014!
Thank You. I appreciate that. Cool you looked back. It's like a Diary/Blog. I hope others start similar threads. I would love to see their work and progress.

Check out my idea which worked last year. Cardboard to stop the weeds. Only doing the pathways for now, might venture to do around the plants. Just too much to do and I don't have much issues with weeds in middle of bed.

I'll put mulch on top of it soon. Or maybe straw just for aesthetics. :-)

Whats great about this is.... Cardboard is biodegradable so after the season is done either till it right in or just leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden