U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:56 PM

16,765 posts, read 20,546,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thank You. I appreciate that. Cool you looked back. It's like a Diary/Blog. I hope others start similar threads.
Okay, I admit it. I'm confused. This entire thread is just your story? Seems like that should be a personal blog somewhere...other than a public forum.

I think I'll start a thread that anybody can post their 2014 gardens to, then.

Your garden is amazing. I just think it's weird to have your own thread.

Ta!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 01:10 PM

65,034 posts, read 47,367,076 times
Got the Tropical plants outside today. Lemon plant still inside. Cold days & nights still ahead. Only out there a couple hours.. Temp 68F

Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 AM

Wow. All these seeds started at the same time. Only 1 was transplanted to the cup 2 weeks ago.(right). Left cup just now

When roots have More room and stronger soil they do nice.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:11 AM

Reason Corn seeds are best sown outside.... Look at the roots!!

Seeds put in April 12th. This is April 19th. That is quick, deep, and strong for a 7 day old seedling (technically 4 days old from when it emerged)

The setup

Put all tomatoes into a cup. They will stay in there until ready for transplant outside. (hopefully in 4 weeks!)

Old 04-20-2014, 06:39 AM

April 19, 2014 Top view. I think I subconsciously thought about candy canes while laying out the path.

And I am amazed at the difference between Seed starting soil and regular potting soil.

Ignore the dates for a second... Left are seeds started with seed starting soil, middle are seeds started with Miracle Grow potting soil. I did not transplant the middle, they were started from seeds under the same conditions & light as the left.

Apparently seedlings need the strength of Miracle Grow as opposed to the seed starting soil. This goes to show they need nutrition right from the get go. The one on the right was transplanted into MG potting soil 2 weeks ago from my 3/28 seed start which is taking off!

I don't think I'll ever use Seed starting soil again. The left seedlings will never be stocky and leafy in a week like that.

And apparently seeds do germinate with regular potting soil. Lesson learned.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:26 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,671,359 times
Cam, I have MUCH better luck using a mix of --50% "enriched potting soil", 25% perlite, 25% vermiculite, then covering the seeds with vermiculite.

Not only are the seedlings stronger, butt the roots are much healthier! I moved most of my starts (the ones I hadn't planted yet) out into the hardening-off beds. The last round of seedlings are sprouted and coming along nicely, although the Delicata squash is sloooooow at showing itself.

I do have to do the beans indoors though, but I only let them break the surface, before putting them outside. Here we go! The symphylans are a problem in the PNW as well, so anything you can do to get a root system under the plants, before they get to the garden, is a good plan.

Project plan for the year....eradicating symphylans.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
The last round of seedlings are sprouted and coming along nicely, although the Delicata squash is sloooooow at showing itself.

I do have to do the beans indoors though, but I only let them break the surface, before putting them outside. Here we go! .
Nice..yeah I just sow the bean directly into soil.. mostly because I don't have a greenhouse so room is tight in my living room. LOL

How far are you guys into the growing season there? I still have another month before any warm crop can go out. 30s expected next few nights

Old 04-24-2014, 05:19 AM

Hmmm, anyone have any idea why it's making a split? Seems like the side shoots are growing faster than the trunk or middle.

I don't remember seeing this before. Just transplanted into MG potting soil but before you comment on that, the others and I've always have success with it. I don't think its the soil.

Could it just be a bad seed/plant?? Should I pinch those side shoots?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:28 AM

Time for an update...

First a look at my April Weather Stats

April 2014 Weather Update:

Rain Total: 7.17" (Well above normal)
Highest Temp: 70.5F (4/11)
Lowest Temp: 28.6F (4/6)
Mean Temp: 48.0

High Temps:

6 days in the 40s
9 Days in the 50s
14 days in the 60s
1 day in the 70s
0 days in the 80s

Lows:
3 nights in the 20s
17 nights in the 30s
9 nights in the 40s
1 night in the 50s

Pretty average April although it's been the coldest Spring start in decades mostly thanks to March.

Few mornings with Frost in April. Mid May is usual transplant day for us here. April is still cold.

However, the Potatoes are looking VERY healthy as of May 7th.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice..yeah I just sow the bean directly into soil.. mostly because I don't have a greenhouse so room is tight in my living room. LOL

How far are you guys into the growing season there? I still have another month before any warm crop can go out. 30s expected next few nights
Cam, we're I'm getting most of the warm weather stuff outside now. I'm not doing too many tomatoes or cucumbers outside here, because of the cold, wet nights we get here. The pumpkin is out, the corn is up (what the cutworms didn't get...dammit!). I should have done the corn indoors, but that's okay....what came up, got transplanted into "trio" hills and pumpkins are planted in between, throughout. Lemons, lemonade. I needed more room for pumpkins and squash anyway. LOL

I don't fight it anymore...I've learned that some years are better than others, for certain things and I always have plenty of extra plants in the greenhouse. Most of the cukes and toms are going to stay in the greenhouse or hot frames, or they simply won't produce. We can have the sides of the beds open, but not the tops.

As for your tom seeds, yep, looks like a couple of "special" seedlings there. If you're short on tom starts, you could probably just that center leader take over, but I wouldn't give them the "royal" treatment. I save plants like that for "extras".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden