Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM

16 posts, read 18,428 times

Advertisements

I have a fewquestions. I did my first garden last year and it went very well, I apparentlylive in a spot that plants just love- as my plants went crazy and I had to giveaway large containers of fruit/ veggies each week, there was no way to eat itall. (although that could have had to do with the water I used once a week froma friends fish tanks.) This year I am going to try and start from seeds, and Ihad my son help me pick out seeds, he’s 2.5- so he went by the pretty pictureson the seed packets I am sure. : ) But that is ok, because I want him to beexcited about it, and everything he got can be grown in my region- just mayhave to get creative about doing it. I live in a condo community and we ca dopretty much whatever with our back yard space, as long as it’s not going toendanger animals that may come over from the preserve ( the yard abuts onto anature preserve).

Among the things he picked out were sweet corn, pumpkin,cantelope and carrots. While I might find it cool to have some corn stalks in theback and a pumpkin patch, I am not sure the neighbors would agree, especiallythe pumpkins which can spread pretty far. I have a space about 20 feet long by4 feet wide next to the house (direct sun area in summer), I am just afraid thepumpkins would take over into the neighbors yard, which is why I was thinkingabout a large container system. Keeping the space next to the house for theother things we got, like tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, chard, onions andcarrots. I was reading online how to grow the corn and pumpkins in a container,but wanted to see if anyone had personal experience doing it

Also, any tips on how to contain wildflowers from theneighbors yard? They keep spreading into my yard and each year I have to digthem out. (I suppose I shouldn’t care to much about the pumpkins possiblyspreading, but I do. Last year I tried a rock barrier, but it didn’t seem towork well, but maybe I was doing it wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,015 times
HI
We grow the Burpee on the patio corn in containers and have for the last 2 years. It's a small minature corn but you get 4 ears on each and it doesn't grow as tall. We love it and will be starting some again this year. I have never grown pumpkins in a container.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,855,296 times
I am just starting on this with my little ones (elementary school age). Corn at Harris Teeter is $0.80/ear so I'm hoping ours is successful. It's one of their favorites and gets quite expensive. I don't have any practical advice, but wanted to wish you luck with it. Hopefully, we'll both learn some new tricks along the way. ;-)

Old 04-01-2014, 07:25 PM

Thanks. :-) I have been looking and looking on the web and i think I have found a potted corn idea that will work for my space. It puts 3 plants in a triangle shape in the container. I plan on 4 pots like that. Lat year my tomatoes went so crazy I am only going to do one plant this year (maybe two.). I am also going to plant my beans with my corn, as I was reading they compliment each other well in growing.

Last year was my first year gardening and I learned a few things- like i need more studry support poles for things like my cucumbers, just trying t get them to wrap around the porch rails was not working well. I mean they climbed that way, but ran out of room.

I do have one beginner question, say I get a 5 gallon bucket... how many holes do I need to put in it for the right drainage?

I am excited, I hope we are able to get many plants started from the seeds, but if not- I'll buy them. I had so much fun last year seeing what I could grow.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:02 PM

114 posts, read 190,933 times
I couldn't imangine pumpkins growing in containers, maybe dwarfs.... but standards nope. i got 3 gallon buckets at fleet farm for growing peppers.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:56 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,855,296 times
Hi indysheart, it sounds like you've got a good start (and a green thumb). Last year, we were able to get out sprouts going and then nothing. I don't know what I did wrong. It was frustrating because the kids were so excited when our sprouts popped up. I am hoping we have better luck this year.

I am not positive on how to do the bucket drainage, but I had some big decorate pots without drainage holes in them. I drilled about 6-8 holes in the bottom of each and then put some big rocks (larger than pebbles, but smaller than bricks) in the bottom before layering the dirt. I wanted to give them more weight because of our high winds and a way to drain off some of the water without it going straight through the dirt down the holes. Hopefully, somebody more experienced will come along and tell us both how to do this for best results.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 PM

Thanks! I do believe i am going to try the Three Sisters method for the corn, beans, and pumpkins. I have watched probably a dozen youtube videos on the container method for this, so i am going to give it a try-- we'll see if it works! I'm excited to try though!

I have plotted out the rest of my garden as well.... now if only it would get over 35-40 degrees here in WI!!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,037,566 times
If you have the room purchase or have someone build you a raised garden bed that is deep enough for the crops that you want. Be sure to have it raised to a comfortable height for you so you don't have to bend over or get on the ground, the height my husband builds is specific to the person he is building for. I am short so the height for me is different than our neighbor who is a foot taller than me and she loves the raised garden bed he built for her. She has ordered 11 more for this season.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 AM

well, we don't have ton of room. I mean we have probably 10 sqft already set aside along the house/ condo (it's a condo, but bigger than some houses to me 2200sqft)- more like an attached side by side house--- anyway-- I have that area all plotted out, I am going to use half for my 3 sisters, just so they have a little extra room. Then I am planning on getting something for a raised bed, possibly cinder blocks because they are cheaper around here- though I am going to post on FB to see if anyone has any old scrap wood laying around. maybe I'll attempt to draw a sketch of my space and post it. but, yeah. I REALLY want the raised bed this year. trying to convince my husband on the other hand is not as easy. : ( But, I have hims *almost* convinced. :P

Old 04-04-2014, 12:44 PM

19,143 posts, read 16,535,087 times
Before I had space for an in-ground garden, I used to grow veggies on my patio using a couple of 1 cu ft bag of soil. I cut an opening in the top and planted tomatoes and peppers. It worked great because the bag didn't lose moisture which meant I didn't have to water much. After growing season was over, I'd just toss the bag, soil and all into the dumpster. It kept the patio clean and I still got to have a little garden, even as an urban dweller.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden