Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,583,146 times

Advertisements

It's been about 10 years since we've had landscaping in front of our porch. I'm not going to bother to explain why, but this year I am making sure we get something put in. I'm just not sure what to put there. It's 22ft wide at the longest distance from the driveway to sidewalk and 12ft at the longest distance from the porch to sidewalk. So I am asking you guys to give me some ideas as for what to put there.

Here is what it looks like now. The tree will stay unless one of you has a very good idea as to why it should be removed. The bush is definitely staying. I know, the grass looks terrible lol. We got a bad batch of dirt and have been working on it ever since.

I'm off to bed, so I'll respond tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 05:39 AM

114 posts, read 192,297 times
Why don't you try indigious wildflowers/native plants. they are good for birds and bees/ the environment. they are less needy then other plants. i live in MN so not sure about native plants of ohio.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 AM

That's a good idea! I found this website and will look up what the plants look like later on.

http://www.natorp.com/assets/SiteEngineManager/native_plants/natorp's%20grown%20native%20trees.pdf

http://www.natorp.com/assets/SiteEng...als-shrubs.pdf

Old 04-05-2014, 03:50 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
It's been about 10 years since we've had landscaping in front of our porch. I'm not going to bother to explain why, but this year I am making sure we get something put in. I'm just not sure what to put there. It's 22ft wide at the longest distance from the driveway to sidewalk and 12ft at the longest distance from the porch to sidewalk. So I am asking you guys to give me some ideas as for what to put there.

Here is what it looks like now. The tree will stay unless one of you has a very good idea as to why it should be removed. The bush is definitely staying. I know, the grass looks terrible lol. We got a bad batch of dirt and have been working on it ever since.

I'm off to bed, so I'll respond tomorrow.

Can't see any photo.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:25 PM

That's odd, it was working before.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
You need low maintenance plants. I would choose some low growing evergreen shrubs, knockout roses, and a few perennials to fill it in.

Keep what you have. I would put 1-3 low growing evergreen shrubs in front of the shrub. I like dwarf yaupon or dwarf pittosporum. Plant then far enough apart so they can grow into a nice shape. Then plant Stella dell oro day lilies or other re looming day lilies. They will give you a nice strap leaf look to balance the shrubs. Liriope is nice too.

Further to the right plant a few double knock out roses. They bloom a lot and don't need much trimming. You can keep them trimmed like a low growing hedge. Plant low growing perennials or annuals underneath.

Plant two vines to climb the two trellises. I like Asian jasmine and Carolina jessamine, but they might not be evergreen where you are. A thornless climbing rose would be pretty, or a red honeysuckle.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:08 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I would take out the bush. It is ugly and too close to the foundation. Perhaps a dwarf Japanese Maple would work there. I would not put vines on the trellises, but would paint the trellises a dark color, so they disappear. I think vines on them might look a bit too junky, and Carolina Jessamine, one of my favorite plants in the south, will probably not work in the north anyway.

Take out the grass and work in some nice soil enrichment. I would plant some small shrubs at the back of the bed, like Meyerland suggested, and perhaps an azalea and a hydrangea for color. Make sure you plant them at least 2' from the foundation, so they are not crowded. Choose all your plants according to how much light they need during the day.

I second the motion for reblooming daylilies (Stella is one of many) and liriope, which do great in sun or partial shade. Those two plants could be the backbone of the bed, then choose a color family you like and get some perennials you like too.
This year, I am making a blue flower bed, and so have enjoyed picking and choosing some plants I've never had before.

You have a nice fun project there, so post a picture of what you do, ok?

I am only seeing one picture, no picture with a tree in it.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I depends on the exposure. Does the house face north, south, east or west? Does it get shade or sun or both?

You can't go wrong with evergreens, and there are all sorts to choose from. A mixed planting of them would be nice and practically maintenance free. However evergreens don't generally like shade. If your house faces north, then I'd put in some rhododendrons and other shade tolerant plants. If your area doesn't get really hot in the summer, and faces north, then I'd recommend ferns along with the rhodos.

For ideas that would work in your area, visit a full service nursery. Take this pic with you, and explain about its exposure. I am sure you will get some good ideas.

I also like Japanese maples in this sort of setting. But they come in a million varieties, and need some sun.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:42 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
For a small area less than 300 sq ft, just rip out everything and start over. Dig out the soil down 12" or so and bring in new planting mix, re-use the existing dirt to build mounds under the new soil. Add some rock features, and maybe a small screen fence to give the patio a bit of privacy. I wouldn't even bother with lawn, just do plants and natural hardscape. Put a small burm in the area near the sidewalk, and build up the area near the patio with the old dirt to hide the slab edge. The walkway looks fine as is. If that's heavy clay soil, I'd dig out a drain area around the edges of all pavement and fill with gravel 18" deep to collect runoff. Repaint the white door, window trim and trellises to a darker color to draw attention away from them. They're not pretty, so no need to emphasize them with bright white paint. Same with the wall mount AC unit - dark gray/charcoal color will help hide it under the eaves and position a medium height tree to block it from view. The brick is attractive, so that and the new landscaping should be the dominant visual elements.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:27 PM

I didn't ask for opinions about the trellises or front door. I'm sure I could go to the architecture forum and people would go on about how it's a nice styling touch from the era it was built in. Besides, trellises are very common where we live. They will not be repainted.

Now that that is out of the way, I was referring to the bush as a tree. No to the Japanese Maple because we have a gas meter there that needs to be hidden. Will probably put some type of dwarf evergreen tree there. Also no to the vines on the trellises because I just don't like that.

No day lilies or roses, we have enough of those elsewhere.

The other ideas I will take into some consideration, though. There are so many plants out there, it's hard to narrow it down to just a few! Thanks for the help everyone and by all means tell me your ideas if you have any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden