Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 07:51 PM

530 posts, read 667,153 times

Advertisements

Every year I buy several amaryllis bulbs and plant them on my windowsill so I can enjoy the blooms all winter long - or at least for several glorious weeks.
This year, I purchased 4 bulbs and planted them in pots on the windowsill. They sprouted their green leaves and have just been sitting on the sill, green - no flowers ever bloomed.
Not only am I disappointed but I paid 10 dollars each for them so I am doubly (quadruply?) disappointed.
Is there anything I can do to help them to bloom? Should I try to return them to the store? Should I just throw them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I'm no Amaryllis expert. But, I found this article. One interesting thing it says is that if the foliage was not allowed to grow after the last bloom, it won't make buds for the next year. So, I guess it is possible you have a dud. It does also say that it can take a pretty long time before they might bloom, though, too. Anyway, perhaps this will be helpful:

10 frequently asked amaryllis questions - Houston Chronicle

Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 PM

Thank you for your reply . These bulbs were purchased from a store in a kit. I have always had success with these kits. This year, all 4 did not bloom. I am so sad because I love these flowers and it's fun to anticipate their arrival. It helps to pass the cold, long winter.
I do very much appreciate the interesting article you found for me. How very kind of you!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Thank you for your reply . These bulbs were purchased from a store in a kit. I have always had success with these kits. This year, all 4 did not bloom. I am so sad because I love these flowers and it's fun to anticipate their arrival. It helps to pass the cold, long winter.
I do very much appreciate the interesting article you found for me. How very kind of you!
I've always had luck with those kits, too. And when I've bought them, I just bought cheap ones at places like CVS Pharmacy or a hardware store, etc. How frustrating!

When I lived in the snow...brrrrrrr! I used to force bulbs of all kinds, like crocus and paper narcissus, etc. I understand how you look forward to seeing those flowers.

I think I'd take the darn things back, then. And see if you can find any that have a flower coming up you can see.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 AM

I plan to do just that! I will keep you posted on the result of my efforts!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:28 AM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Mine finished blooming and is now growing leaves. I was told by someone with a gazillion of the things to let it grow until October, then cut the leaves off. They actually flower in early spring so this is late for flowers.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 AM

These were planted during the winter. This is the very first time I have had these kits and nothing flowered. I have four plants. They have wonderful leaves but it was the flowers I was after, not the leaves. I have plenty of green leafy things growing here indoors but nothing like the gorgeous amaryllis that I have been willing to buy and watch each winter.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:49 AM

429 posts, read 853,176 times
We were gifted an Amaryllis plant in a kit as well and I planted it last summer and it's grown a lot, but it never flowered. I'd say we've had it in the pot almost a year now and the green ears are HUGE - long, like floppy bunny ears, probably over two feet long. But there are no flowers. I actually didn't even know it was supposed to flower.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I plan to do just that! I will keep you posted on the result of my efforts!
Yay, share photos, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
We were gifted an Amaryllis plant in a kit as well and I planted it last summer and it's grown a lot, but it never flowered. I'd say we've had it in the pot almost a year now and the green ears are HUGE - long, like floppy bunny ears, probably over two feet long. But there are no flowers. I actually didn't even know it was supposed to flower.
Now that's just sad! I wonder what's up with these dud Amaryllis plants.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:34 PM

I was able to return the 4 plants to the store but since I did not have my receipt, I was only able to collect part of what I paid for each plant originally. Instead of being angry, I bought 13 bottles of apple juice that usually cost me $45.00 in my local store, for just over $25.00. I only owed the store 43 cents, so I consider that I am ahead of the game. I am sad that I didn't get to enjoy those flowers during this long, cold winter but I also learned a lesson - don't buy those kits ever again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden