Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:37 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,687,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Just curious, why euphorbia?
Because they're ugly, they get big and floppy sprawling everywhere, they're invasive, the colors are putrid, and they look like creatures that belong at the bottom of a brackish tide pool. Blek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,333,932 times
Forsythia and yet I have it everywhere. It has to be controlled and I don't like that. The yellow is too bright and gaudy, but kind of welcome in early spring. It's tolerable.

I'm also a hater of the purple lilacs I inherited with the yard. I've cut these down as they have basically no value to me. No fall color, hardly any flowers, leaves in summer covered by powdery mildew. The few flowers they did have did not last very long.

What I REALLY hate are invasive plants:
asian honeysuckle,
oriental bittersweet,
ugly brittle siberian elm
to name a few.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:06 PM

730 posts, read 1,294,915 times
I don't like gladioli either, although it's not because of the colors... they just scream "funeral flowers" to me, LOL

On the other hand, I love hydrangeas.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 PM

9,921 posts, read 23,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
So, pay the kids or the grandkids a few bucks to go out there and gather them up when they're just freshly fallen off the tree (they will be a nice brown color but the spikes will still be nice and stiff)....then use them in your pots or flower beds for mulch to keep cats out. Or send them to the poster who was complaining about cats peeing in their flowers!

Works every year to keep my kitty out of the planters on my front porch.

What a great idea! I have to remember that; will be getting another kitty later this year

I also use the them as decoration for gift wrapping, adds a nice touch of nature--at Christmas time mixed with some pine; or dunk them in gold or silver baths and they make great holiday decorations in a bowl, etc.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:54 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,867,138 times
I dislike geraniums, which makes people shake their head at me. I think they smell awful and I don't like their globe of red flowers. Geraniums just scream "little old lady with at least one cat" to me. I know. I'm odd.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:03 AM

730 posts, read 1,294,915 times
It's funny but although I don't care for pelargoniums (meaning the plants that most people call "geraniums"), I absolutely love the hardy geraniums, LOL

Especially Geranium pratense 'Splish Splash' which combines two of my favorite flower colors: blue and white. It gets a bit leggy during the season but that's expected from a pratense cv. and it's easily cut back. And you can't beat any of the maculatums for groundcover! :-D

Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,963,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Because they're ugly, they get big and floppy sprawling everywhere, they're invasive, the colors are putrid, and they look like creatures that belong at the bottom of a brackish tide pool. Blek.
Funny. I see them everywhere in the Portland, OR area, and I think they are cool. To each his own, I guess.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,963,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I don't like gladioli either, although it's not because of the colors... they just scream "funeral flowers" to me, LOL

On the other hand, I love hydrangeas.
I agree! Gladioli say funeral to me too. And I love hydrangeas too.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,088 times
I completely agree with the sentiments on New Zealand Flax - absolutely vile-looking- and I also have an ongoing (?losing) battle with wild garlic. Photinia not my best either.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,975,986 times
Funny how we're all different, We had a magnificent red tip photinia at my old house. It was 15-16 feet high and almost as wide, and was the centerpeice backdrop for our side garden. Had no problems with disease, effectively blocked the noise from traffic. When the tips came out each year it was spectacular. Loved that bush. We never trimmed it, and I think that may be one of the reasons we never had problems with it.

Some plants I don't like:

Astilbe
Wish I could like it, and have tried on a few occasions to develop a love for it. Alas, it just looks ugly to me. I have a shady spot that could use some color, too.

Hellebores
Another plant I wish was attractive to me. It blooms early, when I'm longing to see flowers. Yet the hellebore flowers are ugly to me. They're too brownish and they look downwards. Why can't a few prettier things bloom at that time of the year?

White Pines & Cypress
They look nice when planted, but it doesn't take long before some of them loo terrible. And during a storm or when a heavy snow falls they break far too easily and the damage can be severe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden