Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times

Advertisements

Can't stand winter aconite! While the early yellow flowers give a nice splash of color to an otherwise fairly dreary garden, they are SOOOO invasive!! Each mature flower has an abundance of seeds

And because they are bulbs, the only way to truly rid yourself of them is to dig up and remove the soil they're in (or else pull each bulb--fat chance, since they are so plentiful and teeny tiny ). Of course they grow where other flowers are growing, so removing all the soil would remove everything else too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,214,588 times
The Ones that I do not care for, are the ones that I see in most every local plant nursery where i live, but that doesn't change the fact that they still sell those plants, also the only plants in the garden that I genuinely dislike are the poisonous ones, like poison ivy or poison sumac, or other plants which are toxic or that are weeds or serve little to no value to the wildlife in back and front yards.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How can you hate gladioli and hydrangea. Surely, there has to be a color that you can like.
Huh? It's not about colour!

It's the plant itself I don't like.

Probably because they remind me of my garden obsessed mother...not a good memory really.

I also used to spend hours outside in the garden and some of those things smell bad.

Geranium for example. It would have made the list on smell alone, but I love the colours. Fushia's another one, don't like the plant but the colours are good.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:48 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Can't stand winter aconite! While the early yellow flowers give a nice splash of color to an otherwise fairly dreary garden, they are SOOOO invasive!! Each mature flower has an abundance of seeds

And because they are bulbs, the only way to truly rid yourself of them is to dig up and remove the soil they're in (or else pull each bulb--fat chance, since they are so plentiful and teeny tiny ). Of course they grow where other flowers are growing, so removing all the soil would remove everything else too...
My local park used to be a cemetary many decades ago, there's flowers growing everywhere because 100 years ago people planted bulbs instead of cut or silk flowers like we do now.

Kinda creepy but lovely if you don't know the back story.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
The bane of my garden existence is spearmint. I planted some in the ground (never do that!) over 25 years ago. Each spring I pull them up by the roots but it makes no difference. Within a few weeks they're back. They're like alien plants from outer space, taking over all the surrounding plants. Hate them.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:26 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post

Omigosh, I have been trying and failing to grow winter aconite for years and in three Long Island gardens so far, LOL! I just can't keep them going even though I give them the conditions they are supposed to prefer (winter sun and summer part shade, evenly moist soil). Can't tell you how many times I have bought and planted them only to see the number of plants dwindle steadily each year until they are all gone.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:08 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
The bane of my garden existence is spearmint. I planted some in the ground (never do that!) over 25 years ago. Each spring I pull them up by the roots but it makes no difference. Within a few weeks they're back. They're like alien plants from outer space, taking over all the surrounding plants. Hate them.
Yeah, I have spearmint also.....it was here when I moved here. I wanted to try to eradicat it, but hubby likes it.

It's growing on a sidewalk out there right now. Seriously.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:53 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Guess I should be sure to pot my mints!

Old 04-16-2014, 01:31 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Omigosh, I have been trying and failing to grow winter aconite for years and in three Long Island gardens so far, LOL! I just can't keep them going even though I give them the conditions they are supposed to prefer (winter sun and summer part shade, evenly moist soil). Can't tell you how many times I have bought and planted them only to see the number of plants dwindle steadily each year until they are all gone.

Since we're both from Long Island, I'll gladly offer you a supply! Will even "cut" a patch for you, so we don't lose those pesky tiny bulbs . They flower early, then go to seed and then disappear come early Summer--only to return with a vengeance next March!!

Let me know if you're interested! Would love to share with someone who'll enjoy them.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Hydrangeas are pretty hard on the eyes when they are dormant. They are beautiful in bloom, and look respectable when just leafy, but when it's just a bunch of reeds poking out of the ground...not so much
Well, that applies to a lot of things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden