Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

so say my kids . Yesterday my garden helper discovered a bunny nest in a flower bed. for some reason she decided to take them home instead of leave the nest alone. Today we see adult bunny hopping almost n a panic where the nest was.

is there anything we can do to discourage rabbits from nesting in our flower beds. what with fighting deer full time i don't need to be providing a rabbit nursery. too many nibblers around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 11:55 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
so say my kids . Yesterday my garden helper discovered a bunny nest in a flower bed. for some reason she decided to take them home instead of leave the nest alone. Today we see adult bunny hopping almost n a panic where the nest was.

is there anything we can do to discourage rabbits from nesting in our flower beds. what with fighting deer full time i don't need to be providing a rabbit nursery. too many nibblers around.
A BB gun is a great tool. I love hausenfeffer stew.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:06 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
A BB gun is a great tool. I love hausenfeffer stew.
I'm sure there's a better way. I'd google what you can grow that discourages the little bunnies. I'd never kill them.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:18 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
It wouldn't take much of a fence to keep the buns out of your garden, would it? There are also motion detector sprinkler heads you can get, those would keep the deer as well as the bunnies away.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:28 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It wouldn't take much of a fence to keep the buns out of your garden, would it? There are also motion detector sprinkler heads you can get, those would keep the deer as well as the bunnies away.
I think we need the advice of an Australian, they have been waging a Bunny War for ages now.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:36 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
How to Keep Rabbits out of Garden • HelpfulGardener.com

Make sure your cat doesn't lie about what all happened. ;-)

Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm talking about the front flower beds. No fences allowed. We finally put deer fence with rabbit wire at the bottom in the back yard. $4k thank you very much. My helper is in the process of moving daylilies around to the back but the bunnies have already done a number on them.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:15 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Just the other day I came home from work and found a small bunny huddled by my front door. It was a baby. We've seen momma bunny in our backyard for a few years now but she's never chew what were in my raised bed garden. She seemed to prefer the crimson clovers in my yards better. She'll even ventured out to the front yard by my front window, though there was no sign of plants got chewed. I'd suspect the baby must've followed mommy to the front and somehow was separated.

I took a picture with my phone then gave it a nudge on its butt. After the 3rd nudge it took off. Hopefully it will find its way home

Old 04-13-2014, 03:38 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Can't believe some responses in here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

You didn't know but a Rabbit nest cannot be touched or disturbed. The mother typically never goes back. They see it as a threat to the babies. Human scent from the hands is enough to throw them off. I heard they even abandon some from a human touch.

They carefully plan where their home is. A good place of protection from weather and predators. Its not a matter of "lets move their nest" for them. Doesn't work like that.

I guess an analogy is like we go to work and someone moved our house while we weren't home.. We'll come back wanting to go to our safe spot but looking disorientated wondering where the house went in the spot we picked.

I made the mistake myself. I watched a pregnant mother Rabbit building a nest somewhere, I went to check it out and moved some sticks to see how deep it was... Sure enough... she never came back to the spot. Who knows where she had the babies.

Rest assure that if there were bunnies roaming around, the mother collects them and brings them home...

EDIT:: I thought I read she moved the nest. Just put the bunny back, she'll be happy.

It's nature, be grateful they chose a place near you so you can watch them. They aren't like rodents, enjoy them. They don't stay long.

Get a cat or a dog. That's one way to keep them from building nests.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:15 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I just bought some granular stuff that I sprinkled on a flower bed to keep the cats out. Although it doesn't mention rabbits, maybe there's a version for bunnies? Its called Critter Ridder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden