Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,692,013 times

Advertisements

I live in N Indiana. Last year had petunias and impatients. Both did great. What other flowers would do well? Part of the patio is full shade, part gets 4-6 hours of sun. Want something just as easy and available. Zinnia's? Any other suggestions? Don't like Marigolds. Too smelly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:34 AM

9,698 posts, read 14,183,695 times
I've found that these petunias and geraniums do not like a lot of sun. They might get 4 hours/day of bright sun, but they perk up when the sun goes down.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:19 AM

189 posts, read 325,031 times
Begonias would do well, also potato vine and new guinea impatiens

Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 AM

12,049 posts, read 10,206,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I've found that these petunias and geraniums do not like a lot of sun. They might get 4 hours/day of bright sun, but they perk up when the sun goes down.
I love those - the mini petunias or Calibrachoa. I have several baskets of them.

Are you watering them enough? Keeping them out of the wind.

Another favorite of mine is the dragon begonia - likes the shade.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 AM

12,049 posts, read 10,206,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I live in N Indiana. Last year had petunias and impatients. Both did great. What other flowers would do well? Part of the patio is full shade, part gets 4-6 hours of sun. Want something just as easy and available. Zinnia's? Any other suggestions? Don't like Marigolds. Too smelly!
Dragon begonias for the shady spots. Verbena for sunny areas.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,244 posts, read 80,460,275 times
Get a variety of Coleus, they are beautiful and can tolerate shade or sun. I normally pick off the flowers so they continue to grow bigger, but the flowers do provide a nice contrast to the colorful foliage.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:29 AM

9,698 posts, read 14,183,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Here's another idea, asparagus ferns, hibiscus vine, and palm. This planting got very large in the shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I love those - the mini petunias or Calibrachoa. I have several baskets of them.
Are you watering them enough? Keeping them out of the wind.
Another favorite of mine is the dragon begonia - likes the shade.
No escaping the wind in our state - very windy.

Last edited by rdlr; 04-15-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-21-2014, 02:56 AM

Wow, what great ideas everyone! Thanks!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,871,772 times
I grow hosta in pots on both front porch and back deck. They fill in very quickly In fact the hosta were the only potted plants which made it through the harsh NC winter--and they weren't even watered for months on the front porch. Asparagus fern and others usually make it to early spring but not this year. I do have a hardy hibiscus just barely alive on the front porch but I think I will move it to the garden and put something else in the pot.

I like Cordyline for height in pots and fountain grass as well as lots of different petunias, coleus, potato vine, and lots of perennials I like for the pots and come fall I put them in the garden.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I grow hosta in pots on both front porch and back deck. They fill in very quickly In fact the hosta were the only potted plants which made it through the harsh NC winter--and they weren't even watered for months on the front porch. Asparagus fern and others usually make it to early spring but not this year. I do have a hardy hibiscus just barely alive on the front porch but I think I will move it to the garden and put something else in the pot.

I like Cordyline for height in pots and fountain grass as well as lots of different petunias, coleus, potato vine, and lots of perennials I like for the pots and come fall I put them in the garden.
I didn't know you could grow hosta in pots. Do they do better in shade? Part of my patio is all day shade. Can I just throw a few in potting soil and that's it??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden