Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 06:59 PM

296 posts, read 571,367 times

Advertisements

Hello,
It has been difficult in the past three years not to plant one of the most popular flowers, inpatients due to the downy mildew disease. Does anyone on this board know if the disease is still present for the 2014 flower planting season? I will appreciate any information you have as I plan my garden plan. Also, can I plant seeds instead and not have to worry about the disease? Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 06:49 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
I have planted impatiens in planters without a problem, but of course this might allow the undersides of the leaves to be a little drier compared with plants laying on top of garden soil. Also, in planters and pots you use a growing mix which can be free of downy mildew, while in actual soil it is easy to transfer the microbe to the plants.

As for starting impatiens from seed, it is nearly impossible unless you have ideal, controlled conditions.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:28 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I would contact a local nursery and ask. Forget about asking about this in the box stores as they sell sshrubs and trees not proper for their zones. Or cooperative extension office.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:51 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I have planted impatiens in planters without a problem, but of course this might allow the undersides of the leaves to be a little drier compared with plants laying on top of garden soil. Also, in planters and pots you use a growing mix which can be free of downy mildew, while in actual soil it is easy to transfer the microbe to the plants.

As for starting impatiens from seed, it is nearly impossible unless you have ideal, controlled conditions.
I had wonderful luck with growing beautiful double impatiens from seed. I started them in small pots on a table in front of two sunny windows. It wasn't difficult at all!

Old 04-27-2014, 11:25 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
aquietpath--See, you had the perfect conditions! Also, your seed lot was probably quite healthy. I tried to start mine in a real greenhouse and it took forever for a few measly seeds to germinate. Maybe your thumb is greener.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 PM

296 posts, read 571,367 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:16 PM

250 posts, read 694,238 times
Default How are your impatiens doing so far in 2014?

Now that people have had some time to grow impatiens in their gardens for 2014, I'm wondering how things are working out. Are you experiencing Downy Mildew? Or are your impatiens thriving (I hope!)?

I know that many growers who supply local garden centers worked hard this year to provide disease-free plants and they may have succeeded, although I think it was a huge challenge. And even if the growers succeeded, Downy Mildew can find its way to your plants in many ways (wind, infected soil). I’m sure companies are working hard to develop a cure and plant breeders are trying to develop disease-resistant varieties. So it’s likely we all will be able to grow these flowers with no worry sometime in the future. In the meantime, please report how your impatiens are doing so far this year.

As for myself, I'm not growing impatiens (impatiens walleriana) this summer. My Sunpatiens look good. My neighbor's two planters with New Guinea impatiens look nice.

BTW, did you see lots of impatiens plants for sale in your local nurseries and stores this year? Did you see lots of people buying them? I'm in NC and saw lots of impatiens for sale, but didn't see anyone buying them because I wasn't in the stores at the right times or long enough to observe.

Would you please mention your location or at least give us a hint about it.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:40 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrd View Post
Now that people have had some time to grow impatiens in their gardens for 2014, I'm wondering how things are working out. Are you experiencing Downy Mildew? Or are your impatiens thriving (I hope!)?
Tough to say. They went in just two weeks ago. (Planting early can be iffy here!)
So far, so good!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:53 PM

250 posts, read 694,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Tough to say. They went in just two weeks ago. (Planting early can be iffy here!)
So far, so good!
Impatiens were planted in my area of NC in late Apr and early May, so I forget that's not how it is in other parts of the world. Now I hope others will say how long ago their impatiens went in (or whether they've even gone in yet). Thanks for that addition to this thread, Pitt Chick. I hope you'll come back now and then and report on the progress of your impatiens.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,390 times
I planted some in planters(in CT) and they're doing well. Didn't see any last year in CT or NC, but did this year. I did put some in a planter in NC but then left for CT and will find out next week if they survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden