Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:26 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,085,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Get rid of the snakes and your future posts will be how do you get rid of moles, gophers, mice and rats.

A garden without snakes means something is very wrong unless they aren't part of the normal environment in the area.

When things on the ground leave, that means the ground is no longer healthy and you ought to think twice about eating anything that comes from it.
This!

I was going to say a Jack Russell terrier (they are excellent and fearless critter-killers) but actually snakes are beneficial. I have garter snakes in my front and side yards and I just let them be. They sun themselves and slither away at the sight of me.

The dog kills any that get into the back yard. A few years ago she brought one inside and it got away and went under the fridge. Luckily we were able to get it after pulling out the fridge; I don't know what I would have done had it gone up into the machinery part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 03:35 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,782,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The snakes in my area are non-poisonous, but they can be large! (3-5 feet in length or more). .
Spend enough time in Floriduh to understand that 3-5 feet is not large.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:53 PM

41,710 posts, read 74,645,479 times
At my old house, there were a few snakes living under my neighbor's porch. We didn't need mouse traps, or anything of the sort. A mole moved into my backyard ... it disappeared in short order.

The snakes would sun themselves on my south-facing porch, sometimes on the steps, sometimes on the surrounding greenery. They'd slither their little selves to the top of the rose of sharon hedge, and enjoy the day. They'd barely budge if I walked up the steps or hung out on the front porch. Cute little devils.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:45 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,573,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

The snakes would sun themselves on my south-facing porch, sometimes on the steps, sometimes on the surrounding greenery. They'd slither their little selves to the top of the rose of sharon hedge, and enjoy the day. They'd barely budge if I walked up the steps or hung out on the front porch. Cute little devils.
They got up on the Rose of Sharon?? Ohmigosh, now I'm going to have to watch out for that, too. I understand they are beneficial to the garden but honestly I'm so grossed out by some of the stuff that happens with them. They must be a bit deaf otherwise wouldn't they hear me driving into my garage and get out of the way so I don't run over them? Same with the lawn mower - hear me coming? Vibrations, at least? No! This baffles and disgusts me.

They also like to swim in my tiny pond - here, fishie, fishie! I don't buy goldfish anymore.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,206,033 times
My ex always took a shovel when we went camping, you can chop their heads off with it, smack them with it, bury them with it.

Essential snake repellant kit in Australia.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM

15 posts, read 17,897 times
I cannot stand snakes. I have had a phobia of them since I was a little girl. I don't care if it is 3" or 30' I cannot abide them.
We live in a rural area and it is warm enough here that they are active year round. One of my dogs was bitten at dusk on the 27th of October by a rattlesnake in the gravel driveway next to my house. She lived because I got her to the vet within 45 minutes but it cost me $1200.00. My Vet recommended I put bells on my dogs so the snakes would not be suprised by them and get out of their way. It has worked for 8 years.
My Vet just told me the other day that they don't know why, but rattlsnakes in CA have started breeding with other kinds of snakes. Their offspring don't look like rattlesnakes and they may or may not be venomous and the ones that are may or may not have rattles. I am very limited as to what I can do to deter them because I have 3 dogs and a cat. We keep our property, 2 1/2 acres clear of weeds and I never go near shrubbery I can't see under unless I have first watered it.
I am going to try some of the deterrents I have read about here that are safe for pets. I know my fear of them is irrational but I can't help it. If one ever touched me I think I would die of hear failure.
I am open to any and all suggestions on ways to get rid of them as long as it won't hurt my pets.
Good luck in Indiana, you are lucky yours aren't poisonus.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,909,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwalzer View Post
I cannot stand snakes.
There's nothing at all "cute" about a rattlesnake or copperhead on the patio. . If you ever had to live among poisonous snakes, you might be surprised how your attitude towards the creatures could change--venomous or not!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:47 PM

15,084 posts, read 14,249,507 times
Get a mongoose.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:52 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,964,052 times
Just keep your lawn short. Snakes have no use for rotary lawnmowers and short lawns. They are easy prey for birds of prey when crossing short lawns. The snake's prey is also easy prey for birds of prey on a short lawn. It isn't perfect and it will not stop every snake - but, over time, you should have fewer snakes.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:14 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,374,897 times
Remember, snakes are edible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden