Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:08 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times

Advertisements

Think Ill stay in Glasgow... ID go crazy knowing the horrible slithery things were outside in my garden.. cant stand them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 03:30 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,055 times
If you don't have cats you probably want a snake or two. Have you really thought about this?

Old 04-28-2014, 04:28 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
Kill em. It's in the Bible, just read about the garden of Eden. Also for good measure find an old movie called SSSSSSSSSSS. Sorry snake lovers but me and snakes don't get along. I'm scured of them. That's just the way it is.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:05 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Glad to say there are no water moccasin in New England. I had a few close encounters with Cottonmouth (kind of large water moccasin) in Illinois, don't miss them at all. There are water snakes that look like moccasin but have no venom and can be found in colder climates than the real thing.

If there is habitat and prey, snakes will hang out in your yard and garden. Remove both, and they will find somewhere else to live.
Water moccasins and cottonmouth are exactly the same thing. In New England we do have copperheads (not common), which are the same genus as cottonmouth, and timber rattlers (also rare). I've had to spend a lot of time to find the few of each I've seen in New England.

True, many Northern Water Snakes get killed as people think they're water mocccasins even well outside the range in which they occur (CT, etc).

Old 04-28-2014, 05:18 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Napalm

Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I jinxed myself this morning. I commented that I wondered when my first snake encounter of the spring would be. Of course, I walked outside to do some light gardening in the landscaping beds and encountered my first snake under the porch.

The snakes in my area are non-poisonous, but they can be large! (3-5 feet in length or more). I know they will be near the house this time of year, but I really hate being startled by them. They scare me.

So, there are snake repellants available, prevention methods, some "natural" remedies like marigolds. What has worked for you?

BTW--not much we can do as far as prevention. The small porch area where I encountered one today is clear of brush, weeds, etc. The only solution would be to pull it out and install concrete. That's not going to happen. They also like a few other areas near the house and near the shrubs, etc.
Snakes hate noise and vibrating ground. Put the drums on loud and make the place hop.

Lime dries out their skin. Load the ground with it.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
They have their nests in overgrown areas.

If you clean up your yard you shouldn't have any snakes.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:37 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Snakes hate noise and vibrating ground. Put the drums on loud and make the place hop.

Lime dries out their skin. Load the ground with it.
Only 2 problems

1. snakes can not hear. They have neither ears nor eardrums.

2., Snakes have very dry skin that is extremely water proof. It is designed to keep water inside them as they often go for long periods of time without drinking. Many snakes either live in desert regions or can adapt to desrt conditions if need be. Actually most snakes do better in very dry condition except for water snakes. Moist conditions will cause many snakes to harbor various fungi that could kill them. Many peole trying to have pet snakes inadvertently kill them by not keeping the terrarium dry enough. There are exceptions some snakes do require moist conditions, but nearly all American snakes do best in very dry conditions. They would probably be very grateful for lime spread on the ground..

Old 04-28-2014, 06:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The only way to get rid of snakes is to remove all food sources for them. They won't hang out at your place if there is nothing to eat.

Personally, I like having the snakes around specifically because they eat any mice who make the mistake of showing their pointy little noses in public.
And they go after the chipmunks....hooray!

Leave them alone, OP... they will leave when the food supply dries up.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,780 times
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Cost us $2,300 to save our 12 Lb poodle, when he was hit twice in the face by a 5ft rattler. We have never let the dogs out by themselves! This happened in seconds. While some snakes at useful, I kill every [FONT=&amp]poisonous one I find in the yard. We have tried everything, nothing works, cats do help. Our huge old black Tom has killed three so far this year. The cats aren't able to stop the ones over 2 ft. plus the coyotes love to eat the cats, they have killed 16 on this street in the pass 2 months. Mother nature can be very mean at times!
Find something that really works, and you will be rich.[/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden