Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:17 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,709 times

Advertisements

If a snake in your garden tries to tell you which fruits to eat, don't listen to him. He's a liar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,964 times
I was going to say cats, but considering the size of the snakes in your yard, bad idea! Just try to keep your lawn short like someone else said.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:19 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
when i had many snakes, i use to chop them in half with a shovel if i could catch them...

i live on the water and use to get quite a few..

when fishing one from shore, i was using a weedless frog, and on a few occassions a snake went after it,,one time,,,i let the snake have it,,and it swallowed it,,,hooks and all..

so,,,you can always place some weedless frogs or fake mice around,,,if they eat them, this will probly kill them...

or

get a few larger fake/rubber snakes....put them around your property..

Old 04-29-2014, 05:40 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,747,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post

I'm still amazed at how many people have an utterly irrational fear of snakes. I can only surmise that as a young child they had a severe case of NDD...and, most likely, fearful parents. The big problem is that people keep on passing this fear along to their kids. What a shame.
It's not irrational at all but a product of natural selection. Like our (as a species) fear of falling and fear of the dark; most useful for a species that developed in Africa, a species that used trees for shelter and were often killed by venomous serpents and night hunting large cats.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Water moccasins are live bearers and don't lay eggs. If you see a recently born baby moccasin (The tip of it's tail will be yellowish green) Mom can't be too far off. However, they do not care for the babies, baby moccasins are independent and care for them self the minute they are born.
Now that's something I didn't know. I remember thinking the tip of its tail looked strange.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It's not irrational at all but a product of natural selection. Like our (as a species) fear of falling and fear of the dark; most useful for a species that developed in Africa, a species that used trees for shelter and were often killed by venomous serpents and night hunting large cats.
True but a fear of snakes is not common in all cultures. North America has no particulary dangerous snakes. Fear of snakes was not very common among the northern tribes. However the further south you go in the Americas the more common and more aggressive venomous snakes become and the greater the local fear.

India on the other hand has a huge very venomous snake population and has the most deaths per year by snake bites, but fear of snakes is almost non-existent,

Attitude towards snakes seems to be a learned behavior. Babies up to the age of toddlers show no fear of snakes and in regions that do have snakes you will find parents have a great fear toddlers will pick up venomous snakes. Which is a major concern as they will. (A strong indicator fear of snakes is not a product of natural selection) Toddlers will readily reach for and pick up snakes, especially brightly colored venomous ones.

I find that people from Christian Nations that have no snakes are often the people with the greatest fear of snakes. I attribute that is because their most vivid childhood knowledge of snakes comes from the bible.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:12 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Now that's something I didn't know. I remember thinking the tip of its tail looked strange.
Here is a very good picture of a recently born water moccasin

The yellow tip only lasts a short time. They don't get their dark coloration until they are a bout a year old. Until then they have a strong resemblance to their very close cousin the Copperhead.

The Water moccasins spend a good part of their first year on land and during that time they eat primarily frogs, insects and mice. They don't become full time water dwellers until they are big enough to catch fish which then becomes their primary diet. Their coloration also becomes nearly black with a light colored belly at that time.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,403,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You're afraid of the dark, too??? Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Attitude towards snakes seems to be a learned behavior.
Exactly!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Some posters have mentioned cats as useful snake repellers of non-poisonous snakes. True, cats are good hunters - but do be aware that even garter snakes can bite.

A snake-catching cat of mine got bitten once - I didn't realize it until I noticed that his jaw was swollen as if he had the mumps! This was about fifteen minutes after I'd removed a writhing snake from his mouth (and dropped it over the fence)..

So I rushed him to the nearby vet, where some sort of antidote was administered and he was kept under observation for the rest of the day. After he came home, he ate and drank normally, but clearly wasn't feeling good for the several days it took for the swelling to subside. But he survived and lived a long seventeen-year life.

That was the last snake I allowed him to catch.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:57 AM

111 posts, read 157,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I jinxed myself this morning. I commented that I wondered when my first snake encounter of the spring would be. Of course, I walked outside to do some light gardening in the landscaping beds and encountered my first snake under the porch.

The snakes in my area are non-poisonous, but they can be large! (3-5 feet in length or more). I know they will be near the house this time of year, but I really hate being startled by them. They scare me.

So, there are snake repellants available, prevention methods, some "natural" remedies like marigolds. What has worked for you?

BTW--not much we can do as far as prevention. The small porch area where I encountered one today is clear of brush, weeds, etc. The only solution would be to pull it out and install concrete. That's not going to happen. They also like a few other areas near the house and near the shrubs, etc.
If you figure you dont have poisonous I wouldnt worry about them.Just rember they are there.But I had a copperhead in my flower garden where theres lots of bushes.I think it bit my dog.Just made his head swell.I put mothballs around the snakes hole and I didnt see it nomore. Got rattlers too but never had any trouble with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden