Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 04:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

ahhh another case of regional differences. What some call one thing is called something completely different in another location while two plants of the same name don't resemble each other at all.

we need to remember this when recommending or even discussing plants. That is why links are important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 04:35 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
ahhh another case of regional differences. What some call one thing is called something completely different in another location while two plants of the same name don't resemble each other at all.

we need to remember this when recommending or even discussing plants. That is why links are important.
Yes, that is certainly true. But, posting a link to everything by a particular name takes time. I don't always have time and I'm sure others as well don't, to research all things with similar names. If someone sees something labeled as something other than they know it by, feel free. I use links a lot and it's certainly helps clarify things.

If I simply post a photo and say what it is.. I don't expect everyone to question it. But, if they wish they can check it out (internet) or post a query as some have.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:

I certainly wasn't directing this post to anybody in particular. I'm just constantly being reminded of how different terms are used in different parts of the country.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:59 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
So in other words......you have a whole lot of seedlings of your Pride of Barbados? Well...as disappointed as you are......you are blessed as well, because those are gorgeous plants!
THis^^!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:01 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Another tree I will advise people never to plant....Bradford pear. While mine are very old and large and beautiful in the fall and spring (so I will not cut them down), the seedlings come up by the thousands every spring and I spend a lot of my time pulling them up out of the flower beds and from around my shrubs.
Oh my gosh. I had 2 in my front yard when I bought this house. Hurricane Bonnie took down the first one, snf my only sadness was that it left the other one standing. Thankfully a nor'easter took down the second one 2 years ago. I couldn't be happier that they are gone. They stink to high heaven when they are blooming - like rotten eggs everywhere. Yuck. And send up hundreds of babies. I had to have the stumps dug out extra wide just to get all those damn sprouting roots.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:43 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Odd, I was under the impression that Bradford pears were sterile and non fruiting.

Until I read this thread and discovered what a pest they are.

I think ND is one of the few States they don't grow well in. They are hardy in Zones 5-8 most of ND is 2 and 3 Warmest spots are 4

I'll trade you 2 Blizzards for one Bradford pear.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:26 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Thanks! Yes, it took an odd set of circumstances to throw me off like this. Most likely a table in my den piled high with seeds of all sorts being re-shuffled by gkids and the DOG led to an early mix up in pods or seeds. It's not easy seeing seedlings through the winter here (for me)either.

I'm always growing lemon, orange and grapefruit seeds. I mark them but they often end up unreadable and I can't tell them apart as seedlings. I have Sago Palms going on 4 maybe 5 years. Still just a few inches tall. I scrubbed the seed soaked and planted all in a shallow sand box. In the 2nd year they all finally sprouted. I had given up on them. They're very slow growing apparently as are Mountain Laurels.

I finally managed to have planted one that has now reached about 16" high. I tried all the veggies a few years back. Tomatoes and Cucumbers did well. I had several cantaloupe though the squirrels did most of them in. Peppers I've grown tons of. My problem here is I have no real gardens. Anyhow, this Mimosa thing still has me rattled. Thanks for being so understanding.
I love it! Yes, it's hard...once you start growing plants from seeds, to not try EVERYTHING! Over the years, there aren't too many things I haven't started from seed (or tried), taken cuttings from, tried transplanting, etc. Sometimes you win, sometimes.....not so much!

You mark everything...and even that's not a guarantee, because yes....permanent markers are not always permanent. Last year, my grandson (WHY? lol) "gathered" my plant labels from a couple of the flats of seedlings for me. Bless-his-heart. "Gramma....look, I got these for you." Oh dear heavens. LOL Thank goodness they were plants which WERE simple to identify from each other.

It's easy to do. I mean...it's not like we don't have anything else taking up space in our heads, right?

Old 05-09-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
I certainly wasn't directing this post to anybody in particular. I'm just constantly being reminded of how different terms are used in different parts of the country.
This is so true, isn't it! As for the Mountain Laurel, I remember the first spring I lived in the Smokey Mountains of North Carolia....I was like a silly little kid in a candy store. LOL .....on a hike with my ex-husband...."OMG!! They're EVERYWHERE!! OMG!!! They grow WILD here!!!!? "

Being from WA state, (plain, hedge) Laurels and Rhodies are everywhere, in every shape, color and size imaginable, but to hit the woods and find them growing NATURALLY!!!???? Holy cow, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. LOL

Old 05-09-2014, 07:45 AM

I went to college in the N.C. mountains. Cullowhee. I spent many a wonderful day playing in the forest (sometimes hiding from the rangers). Incredibly beautiful. and the mountain laurels have a unique beauty , particularly in that area.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I went to college in the N.C. mountains. Cullowhee. I spent many a wonderful day playing in the forest (sometimes hiding from the rangers). Incredibly beautiful. and the mountain laurels have a unique beauty , particularly in that area.
Oh they really do. It's magical, when they're in bloom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden