U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:55 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Luvvarkansas and ChessieMom I think I'm gonna be very disappointed. You're probably both correct and I'm gonna be without a Mimosa this year. I'll not continue trying to explain what could have happened. I think I have only 11 seedlings left. I may have to go out later looking for more seeds from the invasive mimosa. Maybe they only grow when you don't want them to.
Well, I was trying to be diplomatic, but yeah, those are definitely not mimosa seedlings.

And gee, if you want more, just come wander around my yard late in the summer and you'll find plenty.

(FYI for those who may have missed it....I have a mimosa because my husband likes them. It was just a small one when we bought the house and I would have cut it down if not for his insistence that we keep it....they had a large one shading their patio at the house he grew up in, so it's all about nostalgia for him. Next-door neighbor likes them and has one too.)

Another tree I will advise people never to plant....Bradford pear. While mine are very old and large and beautiful in the fall and spring (so I will not cut them down), the seedlings come up by the thousands every spring and I spend a lot of my time pulling them up out of the flower beds and from around my shrubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:48 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Don't get me started on Bradford pears. in Atlanta they were so over planted about 20-30 years ago. Kind of like Red tips. Now what Bradfords are left are half trees having lost the other half to storm damage. They stink to high heaven, stain driveways with dropping and are now considered nuisance trees.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:14 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
This is one reason why I won't get rid of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
please don't run knowledgeable people off-099-800x600-.jpg  

Old 05-08-2014, 01:37 PM

114,037 posts, read 52,353,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
So in other words......you have a whole lot of seedlings of your Pride of Barbados? Well...as disappointed as you are......you are blessed as well, because those are gorgeous plants!

You know, it easily done, isn't it? The older I get, the more disciplined I have to be about labeling! Hahaha I did.....I DID label this year, in the rounds of seed planting that I did. The trouble? Once I started putting plants out in the garden, I ended up with a 1/2 a 6-pack here, 1/2 a 6-pack there, but lost the labels. LOL Now.....I have cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower seedlings here and there, which will be "suprises"...of course, until they get a wee bit older.

I've got a few ? pumpkins a few ? squash. LOL We'll find out which is which, when they grow a little more...almost makes it like a mystery garden.
Thanks! Yes, it took an odd set of circumstances to throw me off like this. Most likely a table in my den piled high with seeds of all sorts being re-shuffled by gkids and the DOG led to an early mix up in pods or seeds. It's not easy seeing seedlings through the winter here (for me)either.

I'm always growing lemon, orange and grapefruit seeds. I mark them but they often end up unreadable and I can't tell them apart as seedlings. I have Sago Palms going on 4 maybe 5 years. Still just a few inches tall. I scrubbed the seed soaked and planted all in a shallow sand box. In the 2nd year they all finally sprouted. I had given up on them. They're very slow growing apparently as are Mountain Laurels.

I finally managed to have planted one that has now reached about 16" high. I tried all the veggies a few years back. Tomatoes and Cucumbers did well. I had several cantaloupe though the squirrels did most of them in. Peppers I've grown tons of. My problem here is I have no real gardens. Anyhow, this Mimosa thing still has me rattled. Thanks for being so understanding.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 PM

what is this purple flowering tree. At first I thought it was wisteria growing in a tree but now I'm not sure what it is.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Well, I was trying to be diplomatic, but yeah, those are definitely not mimosa seedlings.

And gee, if you want more, just come wander around my yard late in the summer and you'll find plenty.

(FYI for those who may have missed it....I have a mimosa because my husband likes them. It was just a small one when we bought the house and I would have cut it down if not for his insistence that we keep it....they had a large one shading their patio at the house he grew up in, so it's all about nostalgia for him. Next-door neighbor likes them and has one too.)

Another tree I will advise people never to plant....Bradford pear. While mine are very old and large and beautiful in the fall and spring (so I will not cut them down), the seedlings come up by the thousands every spring and I spend a lot of my time pulling them up out of the flower beds and from around my shrubs.
That's how I took it and I appreciate you waking me up to this apparent ID error. I have seen the Mountain laurels with babies sprouting all around them. I've not seen this with Mimosas. Esperanzas have pods with feathery seeds. Left alone these pods open and release their seeds everywhere. I have yet to see a baby root or spout on it's own. They are otherwise very easy to sprout in pots.

The Bradford pears sound a lot like the Chinese apple tree (not sure of name) my BIL has. Littles ones sprout up everywhere. For that matter pecan trees are bad about this. But, at current prices I doubt many pecans will be left on the ground to sprout.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
what is this purple flowering tree. At first I thought it was wisteria growing in a tree but now I'm not sure what it is.
Mountain Laurel. The blooms look like grapes from a distance. Very fragrant too.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:59 PM

Wow not the mountain laurel I'm familiar with. Since it is poisonous I haven't ever grown it.

Kalmia latifolia

Old 05-08-2014, 03:16 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Mountain Laurel. The blooms look like grapes from a distance. Very fragrant too.
Are you sure?
Mountain Laurel is PA's state flower... and your plant doesn't even come close to it!

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...cnr_009326.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmia_latifolia

Old 05-08-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Are you sure?
Mountain Laurel is PA's state flower... and your plant doesn't even come close to it!

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...cnr_009326.pdf

Kalmia latifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Texas Mountain Laurel..Sophora secundaflora... .
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...horasecund.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=moun...%3B3312%3B4416

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calia_secundiflora

Since I'm in Texas I just call them Mountain Laurels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden