U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:01 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,470,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
While I agree that we should all play nice and everyone benefits, I recall a convo I had years ago with someone who insisted that her bamboo was beautiful. I too think it is pretty but from afar. She was having a battle with one of her neighbors who was the uninterested benefactor of the "privacy screen" that was now overtaking her yard. She asked my opinion and I said that while I thought it was pretty, I was glad I was not her neighbor because it is so invasive. She could not get over that I didn't like it. She extolled all the virtues of a pretty privacy screen, and hearty too!!!! She refused to understand that it was a problem for her neighbor. I suggested that she research the bamboo and how to stop it from running so she could better understand what her neighbor was up against. Her response, I don't see it taking over my property!!!! I gave up.

I think if you post you need to develop a thicker skin and if one person beats you up, there are five that will have your back.
Your last paragraph was spot on !

The only time I get irked as an OP is when posters responding put words in "my mouth" that I never said or inferred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 11:39 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If all this werenít discouraging enough, Bradford pears just donít live a long time, as trees go. Starting around the age of 20, the trees simply begin to decline, with few of them living past the age of 30.
Not too many small flowering ornamental trees have long life spans, alas. Even crabapples, which seem indestructible, have a life span of about 40 years.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:17 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Dogwoods, the prettiest small flowering tree I know can live up to 80 years. In the garden there are some much smaller varieties than the ones we often see in the woods. Either way I love the. my favorite is the kousa.

Life Span of Flowering Dogwood Trees | eHow

Old 05-10-2014, 04:42 PM

475 posts, read 726,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
While I agree that we should all play nice and everyone benefits, I recall a convo I had years ago with someone who insisted that her bamboo was beautiful. I too think it is pretty but from afar. She was having a battle with one of her neighbors who was the uninterested benefactor of the "privacy screen" that was now overtaking her yard. She asked my opinion and I said that while I thought it was pretty, I was glad I was not her neighbor because it is so invasive. She could not get over that I didn't like it. She extolled all the virtues of a pretty privacy screen, and hearty too!!!! She refused to understand that it was a problem for her neighbor. I suggested that she research the bamboo and how to stop it from running so she could better understand what her neighbor was up against. Her response, I don't see it taking over my property!!!! I gave up.

I think if you post you need to develop a thicker skin and if one person beats you up, there are five that will have your back.
I disagree that if you post you need a thicker skin. It should not even be close to a requirement. I would recommend that those that are criticized or worse attacked simply ignore the rude poster and refuse to engage in further discussion with them.To many long time users come to feel this is their forum. That's fine and it is , but they themselves as part of our forum , are ours to disregard.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,653,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
I disagree that if you post you need a thicker skin. It should not even be close to a requirement. I would recommend that those that are criticized or worse attacked simply ignore the rude poster and refuse to engage in further discussion with them.To many long time users come to feel this is their forum. That's fine and it is , but they themselves as part of our forum , are ours to disregard.
This goes for all posters, not just the ones who've been here a long time. Let's face it, some people simply do not play well with others. Everyone's got a story and their own personal dramas that they're going through every day. Sometimes, heading to an online forum, gives them a much-needed escape from that drama.

Wouldn't it just be nice if we could all just be the kind of folks who are THERE for each other? Wouldn't it be so much simpler, if were were just KIND to each other? The thing of it is..we could ALL stand to have a bit thicker skin....but sometimes, yes...we simply need to ignore a rude poster. Sometimes, we also need to understand that the "rude" posters....just might need our love and understanding, a bit more than some folks. Let's face it, when you're hurting so badly, that you're willing to go on to an online forum and start lashing out at innocent strangers....it's a clear indicator that somebody needs a ((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))

Old 05-11-2014, 12:07 PM

7,018 posts, read 10,321,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Let's face it, when you're hurting so badly, that you're willing to go on to an online forum and start lashing out at innocent strangers....it's a clear indicator that somebody needs a ((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))
....Or professional help...

Old 05-11-2014, 01:43 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Dogwoods, the prettiest small flowering tree I know can live up to 80 years. In the garden there are some much smaller varieties than the ones we often see in the woods. Either way I love the. my favorite is the kousa.

Life Span of Flowering Dogwood Trees | eHow
I just got a dogwood and planted it last weekend. I've always wanted one, but never took the plunge because of their susceptibility to disease. But I came across a gorgeous pink one at HD, and decided to try it. Hope it lives!

Old 05-11-2014, 03:35 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
good luck. never lost one in 50 years of gardening....they make some really nice disease resistant ones now.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:06 AM

114,037 posts, read 52,362,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Well, I was trying to be diplomatic, but yeah, those are definitely not mimosa seedlings.

And gee, if you want more, just come wander around my yard late in the summer and you'll find plenty.

(FYI for those who may have missed it....I have a mimosa because my husband likes them. It was just a small one when we bought the house and I would have cut it down if not for his insistence that we keep it....they had a large one shading their patio at the house he grew up in, so it's all about nostalgia for him. Next-door neighbor likes them and has one too.)

Another tree I will advise people never to plant....Bradford pear. While mine are very old and large and beautiful in the fall and spring (so I will not cut them down), the seedlings come up by the thousands every spring and I spend a lot of my time pulling them up out of the flower beds and from around my shrubs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
That's how I took it and I appreciate you waking me up to this apparent ID error. I have seen the Mountain laurels with babies sprouting all around them. I've not seen this with Mimosas. Esperanzas have pods with feathery seeds. Left alone these pods open and release their seeds everywhere. I have yet to see a baby root or spout on it's own. They are otherwise very easy to sprout in pots.

The Bradford pears sound a lot like the Chinese apple tree (not sure of name) my BIL has. Littles ones sprout up everywhere. For that matter pecan trees are bad about this. But, at current prices I doubt many pecans will be left on the ground to sprout.
I'm still not sure what I'll end up with. The seedlings are definitely easily confusing!

Mimosa seedling
Pride of Barbados seedling

Old 05-19-2014, 06:41 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,653,945 times
Seriously....one of the coolest things about gardening y'all. LOL I swear, those unknowns are just frickin cool! They're like magical surprises...mysteries, waiting to reveal themselves. Some of the stuff I've ended up with, in manures or from "recycling" and "re-amending" potting soils.....awesome! True story....I've got about a pound of poppy seeds in a ziplock bag, from last year....haha and we use some, but mostly give them away and toss a few out (although not really necessary, because they reseed prolifically).

The most likely scenario is...an animal ate something with poppy seeds in it...and it ended up in the horse manure and shavings I'd loaded up, at my friend's horse ranch. While weeding the garden, I came across a "weird looking" weed...kind of cabbagey. Hmmmm? What's THIS? As I weeded along, I found a few more of those little buggers. Hmmmmm...... I ended up pulling a few, but thought, dang, that foliage is getting pretty damn cool! I'm getting more and more curious by the second! LOL Some kind of cabbage? I tasted it. BLECH!!!! OMG!!!! ICKY!!!! It was bitter and horrible and after heading for the hose to wash my mouth out...LOL, I chose to leave them alone. Holy crap am I glad I did!! They are the most gorgeous, purple poppies EVER! I've had those buggers at 2 different homes now and truth be told, they're still alive and well at the first one....where they started.....27 years ago.

This year, I found another variety of them...they are called "Black Swan". Rather than being a "plain" poppy shape, they are the ruffled peony type, and they are a deep, rich violet color...more reddish than my current poppy. I love my perennial oriental poppies...and have TONS of orange ones and one large salmon colored bush, but those annuals? ...fabulous plants that flower until frost, if you keep caring for them and deadhead regularly. Oh....and FYI? Just like nasturtiums, calendulas and California poppies?...they THRIVE on benign neglect. I ask you....is there a more perfect plant!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden