U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 10:24 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times

Advertisements

How to Prune Tomatoes | Fine Gardening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 05:45 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,651,862 times
Y'all...I swear, there's gotta be a little OCD in here, with my gardening. Yeah....I didn't have enough tomatoes....so when I pruned my Golden Nugget cherries, there were some GORGEOUS suckers, which already had blossoms on them, and some had even pollinated and set fruit. Yes......gorgeous, thick-stemmed, beautiful, sturdy suckers! Ten of them! but.....I CAN'T kill them! They're fruiting branches! NO! I just CAN'T kill them!!!!!!!

So I dipped 'em in Rootone, put 'em in some pots with that fabulous new potting soil I've been using and a week later? Holy CARP! Every single one of them lil critters filled those pots up with roots and not a single blossom or fruit dropped! Um.....needless to say...that gave me 10 more tomatoes that I don't have ROOM for!!!!!!!! LOL

Okay...so, well....I've been giving them away. Hahaha Here's what's so COOL about it though...these are the tomatoes that I was so disappointed in, at starting time. All of my tomatoes germinated like MAD, except these little guys. I had a 33% germination rate...purdy pitiful!

The package had 10 seeds, 3 germinated....but I ended up with 13 GN tomato plants in the end.....all because I JUST COULDN'T KILL THEM!!!!! LMAO

Old 07-11-2014, 07:05 AM

GOOD FOR YOU. I love hearing success stories. Did you prune any of the branches without blossoms? I did and seems like in day my other branches started doing their thing. no surprise. that is why we prune- to encourage more growth elsewhere. have you been eating any yet? how do they taste?

Old 07-13-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
GOOD FOR YOU. I love hearing success stories. Did you prune any of the branches without blossoms? I did and seems like in day my other branches started doing their thing. no surprise. that is why we prune- to encourage more growth elsewhere. have you been eating any yet? how do they taste?
Actually, NK, I do prune pretty much everything below the first fruiting cluster and then here and there, in order to keep light filtering through the plants. I have them planted pretty heavily, so I prune for light and ventilation. As for eating some? None are ripe yet, but I did steal a 1/2 dozen of the first, biggest ones to make up a batch of fried green tomatoes. Oh my gosh was my family thrilled.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:45 AM

I've been harvesting about 2-3 daily which thrills me no end cause I got a late start and my first few had blossom end rot. The difference between home grown tomatoes and grocery store tomatoes makes them seem like entirely different foods.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:54 AM

24 posts, read 22,074 times
Quote:
I've been on CD for several years and at least 4 times I've seen very generous and knowledgeable people run off by snarky comments. Glad to say I haven't seen it so far this growing season.

There was a man who managed a big box nursery department and he was so helpful. I like to look up his old posts. And he was mostly self taught. he was run off.

There was a man who knew so much about trees especially and he did a lot of volunteer work with ridding nuisance trees from land. He got into it about mimosa and sweet gum trees and got really mad at those who insisted they were pretty, and they would plant them no matter what harm they did. he gave up in disgust and took his considerable knowledge elsewhere.

There was a woman who took incredible time and energy to look up questions and post lots of links to back her posts. I marveled at her experience and willingness to share. Somebody on here called her a know it all and other snarky things. She has not been back in many months and i doubt she will ever be back,

So be sure to thank those who take the time and energy to share what they have learned either through formal education or experience. Many times we are getting information we should be paying big bucks for.
Love what you said

Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I've been harvesting about 2-3 daily which thrills me no end cause I got a late start and my first few had blossom end rot. The difference between home grown tomatoes and grocery store tomatoes makes them seem like entirely different foods.
That is wonderful news NK! You know, it's kind of funny...I can't wait, yet I took the biggest tomatoes off and fried them, green. Hehehe.... so? clearly? Yeah, I can wait longer than I say I can! On the other side of the coin it's worth it, because I'm gonna sacrifice a few more big ones this morning. We have a new employee at work, who lived in the south. He was talking about how much he's been thinking about fried green tomatoes....and been looking in stores for them...and they don't EXIST up here, apparently!!!! LOL

Well...bless his heart, he's gonna get a lil bag of green tomaders this morning. So? Yeah, I guess I can wait. I've been pushing vine...and pruning hard. When they start ripening, it's going to be a flood of red, that's for sure. The Rutgers are approaching 7 ft and the Bushsteaks are at about 4.5 ft. I did notice though, that the Golden Nuggets are starting to turn a golden green, so at leaty THEY are almost ready. Of course, I may be tempted to steal some of those greenies for a little batch of pickled tomatoes.

Last night, we had a wonderful mess of 4" cylindrical beets. OMG....fresh beets. Mmmm

NK..on storebought vs homegrown toms. Yes..yes, YES!! I'm sorry, that's like comparing apples and oranges. There is simply no way that storebought produce can compare with fresh produce. Hands down, not even comparable. Even strawberries... I mean, what a difference. Around here, it's like saying Albacore tuna in the store tastes like Albacore tuna, home canned, in a jar. No...not even remotely the same stuff. Our home canned tuna is ONE piece of fish, raw, stuffed in a jar, sprinkled with a bit of salt, then processed in a canner. Yes....a piece of tuna....period.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:21 AM

I love home grown tomatoes so much I have been known to take my own to restaurants and ask the waiter for a sharp knife (or I bring my own) so I can add them to a salad or burger.
Now I've lived in the South for most of my life and I've never had fried green tomatoes. Hard to believe isn't it since friend food is so popular here. But it always seemed to me like a waste of a perfectly good tomato when you can just wait a little bit and have red heaven on your plate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden