U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 PM

37,375 posts, read 40,989,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Leaf blower or landscape vacuum.
Yep that's us. Twice a year, sometimes 3. Usually hire a local landscaping yard maintenance guy to do it for me for a 15,000 sq ft. yard. It's worth the $50.00 to do it, saves the back and nuisance of getting rid of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 133 times
I have multiple garden areas full of what's called bark rock here in Florida. It's about the size of small river rock and has been accumulating dirt and organic stuff for 17 years which looks bad and requires constant spraying for weeds. After a year of spraying I said enough!

I solved this problem with a piece of metal mesh with 1/2 inch openings from a hardware store, a plastic rectangular recycling bin, some 3/4 and some 1/2 inch pvc pipes, and a bunch of heavy duty plastic bags.

I drilled some 1 inch holes at the ends of the recycling bin near the top and put a piece of 3/4 inch pipe through it cut it so about 3 inches of PVC were sticking out each end. Then I drilled three 1 inch holes evenly spaced on the long sides slightly lower than the holes on the end and put 1/2 inch pipe in each hole. With the holes for these three pipes being slightly lower it made for a snug fit against the long pipe in the middle so the pipes don't move. Drill two or three additional 1 inch holes on one of the short sides of the bin as well for drainage.

Then I took the metal mesh and folded it in half and put it across the top of the recycling bin. The pipes provide support for the mesh when the rocks are added.

Then, while kneeling down at the long end of the recycling bin away from the extra drainage holes I used a three-pronged garden wire digger to rake the rocks toward me. Using gloved hands I grabbed handfuls of the dirt and debris filled rocks and piled it high on the screen. I took a hose on spray with one hand, pulled a handful of rocks and dirt to me on the screen, then sprayed the handful while moving it around on the screen to dislodge all dirt and organic debris. After each brief cleaning I pushed the handfuls of clean rock onto a heavy duty garbage bag at the side of the recycling bin.

After multiple repetitions I had all of the clean rocks on easy to drag garbage bags. I hosed down the plant barrier, replacing it as necessary, then simply dragged the garbage bags up onto the plant barrier and used my hands to spread it evenly.

While this is admittedly a bit physically demanding, I broke it down into sections and worked on them for about two hours each day. Having completed a surrounded front yard garden area so far, I plan to work on the remaining eight rock garden areas over the coming months.

Hope this helps!

Frank MacDonald

Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 15 times
I found that putting a mesh net over the rock bed Is the best way to all the lea rd to be blown off while n9t having company. When having company you remove the mesh net and it looks great. You can get the mesh net that is normally placed over ponds to prevent leaves from falling into the pond, but can also be used on top of rock beds. It will still allow rain water to seep thorough and not build up on the top like a tarp

Old Today, 08:23 PM

19,427 posts, read 18,537,798 times
I got rid of the rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden