Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:03 PM

18,755 posts, read 17,992,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Bravo. Not many would take the trouble, just get out the bat.
And as for the red pepper, squirrels and bunnies have been known to scratch their eyes out when it came in contact with them. I am sure much to the delight and entertainment of some.
People have had cow "pets" for centuries, the family dairy cow was a part of Our history, and I bet most were named Bessie.
Yes they did - but how many Bessies are around today? There are about 90,000,000 cows in America. The vast majority are not Bessie. In 'traditional' Amish and Mennonite farms I am sure the percentages would be higher. In our 9 to 5, quarter acre, modern households you are not going to find many that would turn to taking care of pet Bessies.

Here is a link to a PDF file that argues the points that I am trying to make: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_d...eingartner.pdf. From that link they talk about a 2% crop loss valued at $7 to $10 million annually. I know that a 2% loss sounds minimal - but they are talking about an industry that could cease operations in the US. Many of us small gardeners have easily accepted crop losses of 25 to 50% - but we don't garden for money. If crop loss to your black oily sunflower seed growers goes too high; you could experience major increases in price as the industry moves out of our country. Lets say that you are spending $25 for a 50 pound bag of the black oily seeds; would you buy as much if the price was $50? Even If that did not phase you; you could have more birds to feed if your neighbors stopped feeding.

All I have ever said since the beginning of this thread is that you have to keep your perspective and look at the consequences of not controlling pest like opossums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 01:20 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,985,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Yes they did - but how many Bessies are around today? There are about 90,000,000 cows in America. The vast majority are not Bessie. In 'traditional' Amish and Mennonite farms I am sure the percentages would be higher. In our 9 to 5, quarter acre, modern households you are not going to find many that would turn to taking care of pet Bessies.

Here is a link to a PDF file that argues the points that I am trying to make: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_d...eingartner.pdf. From that link they talk about a 2% crop loss valued at $7 to $10 million annually. I know that a 2% loss sounds minimal - but they are talking about an industry that could cease operations in the US. Many of us small gardeners have easily accepted crop losses of 25 to 50% - but we don't garden for money. If crop loss to your black oily sunflower seed growers goes too high; you could experience major increases in price as the industry moves out of our country. Lets say that you are spending $25 for a 50 pound bag of the black oily seeds; would you buy as much if the price was $50? Even If that did not phase you; you could have more birds to feed if your neighbors stopped feeding.

All I have ever said since the beginning of this thread is that you have to keep your perspective and look at the consequences of not controlling pest like opossums.
The 2% annual loss is quite high, At that rate most people would see nearly a 100% loss in their life time. Would not reach 100% as each year it is 2% of the remaining not 2% of the original.
But after just 50% not much would be left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden