U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 11:20 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,682,632 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,
I'm a total newbie and wanted to get some input from experienced SQF folks. After perusing a ton of information, I'm inclined to do a Fort Knox approach to garden protection from Bambi, Thumper, squirrels and especially - stink bugs. Our garden is emplaced within our 4' high fenced dog run right next to our house. I've pictures of up to ten Bambi's in our backyard and (perhaps unfortunately) we've had bird and squirrel feeders for years. We've got some of the smartest squirrels in Maryland.

Basic parameters: My plan is to enclose each of our 30" elevated table (bending for geezers is a pain ) 2'x2" grow boxes with 1/8" hardware cloth, suitably high enough for the maximum plant height. I'm considering an overlay of much stronger 1/2" 19 gauge wire to really deter the squirrel attacks as well). The 1/8" wire is to defeat the mature stink bug issue.

In addition, for tomatoes, beans & peas - I'm going to enclose them in 6' tall towers with the same wire protection with a 1" concrete paver layer bottom. Ultimately I'll probably move to a greenhouse setup but this is an experimental, 1st shot.

My approach/attitude is that if I'm going to go with the time/work/cost of gardening - I'm not going to suffer the veggie loss to critters - this is WAR! Any comments would be appreciated.

PS - on pages 62/63 of Mr. Bartholomew's 2nd Edition SQF book, he relates using standard plywood or marine plywood as a bottom base for SQF boxes. Do yourself a favor and call up any of the plywood mfg.'s and ask them about using their products (especially the marine versions!!!!) for food safe vegetable production. IT IS NOT A BRIGHT IDEA.

I also ignore his recommendation to use deck screws (they will degrade, I built decks for pay in my youth) and substitute stainless steel screws. I use untreated cedar for all components of our grow boxes. Just FYI and purely my personal opinions.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 05-10-2014 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or