Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Looks like a raspberry to me. Scroll down on the linked page.

Poison Ivy Photos and Poison Ivy Look-a-Likes

But be careful until you get a positive ID. Yes, there's Round Up for PI. It will take out brambles, too.
Nope, that is definitely poison ivy....I can spot one leaf of poison ivy from a mile away in the middle of a patch of Virginia creeper! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
Default Gonna need an ocean of Calamine Lotion...

That just isn't brambles or raspberries.....it really isn't. I have had lots of wild raspberries and blackberries on my land and some poison ivy. What the OP has is in my opinion poison ivy.......

Old 05-12-2014, 10:45 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,816,776 times
Poison Ivy. No doubt. "Leaves of three, let it be". Or "three with a 'thumb'".

Old 05-12-2014, 11:57 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
It is NOT "Roundup Time". Simply piling more pinestraw over the Poison Ivy will kill it. Enough pinestraw (or most any other leaf mulch) will smother a whole bed of Poison Ivy. Even the most giant vine, growing up into a tree, can be quickly severed with a tiny pruning saw.

And frankly, unless you have actual allergies to the plant, just putting your hand in a plastic bag and pulling up the Poison Ivy (preferably after a rain) will do the trick.

Agenda 21 seeks to herd us all into apartment blocks, conveniently close to rail lines. Mostly, I think this is a horrible idea. However, I do think that people who know no better than to run around spraying herbicides are ideal tenants for those apartment blocks. Such people definitely have no business in Suburbia.

Should you get Poison Ivy on your skin, just wash it off with soap and warm water. If you should get an outbreak, just dab-on a tea made from Persimmon Bark (It's the Tannin that dries up the rash).

I do a LOT of gardening with a group of local Grandes Dames, and, upon completion of our 'missions' we ASSUME that we've gotten "ivied". You have a couple of hours, to wash off the Ivy Oils. All clothes go directly into the washer (we throw-in our gloves and boots, too...). NO BIGGIE!!!! (unless you are severely allergic, which is generally a symptom of larger issues in your life.)

Should you buy a property that is one giant bed of Poison Ivy, then it's time for a company like Rent-a-Goat: RentAGoat Unlike herbicides, Goats and their byproducts are not toxic, and won't be giving your neighbors' children cancer.

Generally, though, enough mulch, and a few cuts with the Pruning Saw (which you wash in warm, soapy water, too...), and even a big infestation can be handled.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:57 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,427,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
That just isn't brambles or raspberries.....it really isn't. I have had lots of wild raspberries and blackberries on my land and some poison ivy. What the OP has is in my opinion poison ivy.......
No worries here - no calamine needed as I didn't actually touch it while photographing it nor have me or DW frolicked through that area barefoot. I've asked my landscaper to take a look at it and make a recommendation as to the best method to control or eradicate it. Thanks again all for the quick determination that we had a nice poison ivy patch going there.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:09 PM

339 posts, read 777,517 times
I prefer Ortho's Brush-B-Gone for poison ivy/oak.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:31 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Looks like a raspberry to me. Scroll down on the linked page.

Poison Ivy Photos and Poison Ivy Look-a-Likes

But be careful until you get a positive ID. Yes, there's Round Up for PI. It will take out brambles, too.
Definitely NOT raspberry. It's poison ivy. I've seen far too much of it in my lifetime.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,400,755 times
Quote:
Looks like a raspberry to me.
Raspberry leaves can look very similar, but they generally appear to be coarser in texture, with less sheen, and have more "teeth" on the leaf edges.

The photos are clearly what used to be called Rhus radicans during my college years...then Rhus toxicodendron...and now Toxicodendron radicans. I sure wish they'd settle on a scientific name!

In any case, "Poison Ivy" is easier to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Agenda 21 seeks to herd us all into apartment blocks, conveniently close to rail lines.
WHOA--Someone is clearly stuck in the wrong forum!!

Old 05-30-2014, 12:05 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,149,489 times
That's just great. I found these crawling up my oak tree the other day... I've never had a reaction to poison ivy so I guess I'm in the minority of those that are immune. I asked my wife if I could rub it on my arm to test the theory and she proceeded to tell me that I can also sleep outside next to them.

Going to pick up Round Up Poison Ivy 32oz concentrate at Walmart for $25. Hope it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Plant/weed ID Requested-optimized-poison-ivy.jpg  

Old 05-30-2014, 01:29 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,400,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
That's just great. I found these crawling up my oak tree the other day... I've never had a reaction to poison ivy so I guess I'm in the minority of those that are immune. I asked my wife if I could rub it on my arm to test the theory and she proceeded to tell me that I can also sleep outside next to them.
As a kid, I never used to get a reaction to poison ivy even after massive exposure. During my college years, when I led elementary schoolkids on nature tours, I would even pick it and ask the kids if they knew what it was. (I know, not a good example for the kids.)

Nowadays, however, I'm easily susceptible to poison ivy. It's probably not a good idea to test your theory lest you become "less immune" to the chemicals found in the leaves and stems of poison ivy. But...if you want your wife to have another excuse to say "I told you so"-- go ahead and rub poison ivy on your arm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden