U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 09:55 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times

Advertisements

My solution to my dead ivy is to not tear it out and plant clematis. By leaving the old ivy vines there, the clematis would have something to latch onto. This is ivy that's planted at the top of retaining walls and cascaded down. Can I train clematis to trail down since there is nowhere for the clematis to go upward and outward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,437,081 times
I've found that when clematis don't have something to scramble up on, they go down. Sounds like a good idea, hope it works out (no pun intended.)

Old 05-12-2014, 06:31 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
Hmmmmmm. I recall that when I put one in my NY garden there were a few types and if memory serves me one is called trailing but you may need to hunt for that kind. Probably in a local nursery.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:22 AM

5,292 posts, read 20,697,476 times
I have found that in many cases Clematis will grab itself to climb and you can wind up with a ball.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:54 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
until the sun comes out of the ground clematis will grow up. Not trying to be snarky but clematis is hard wired to climb up and grab hold of something for support while trailing plants like ivy and others are hardwired to grow down. It's in their DNA.

Also if there is any life left in that ivy and I suspect there is, the ivy will overtake the clematis and shade it out over time. Clematis is pretty ugly in the winter but there are plenty of other evergreen vines you can grow beside it which will hide that dead looking clematis without shading it out all together

I've had plenty clematis get so thick and heavy that it "spills" over the support but when I look at "trailing clematis" pictures on google sites it really is clematis growing up and spilling over..

Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
until the sun comes out of the ground clematis will grow up. Not trying to be snarky but clematis is hard wired to climb up and grab hold of something for support while trailing plants like ivy and others are hardwired to grow down. It's in their DNA.

Also if there is any life left in that ivy and I suspect there is, the ivy will overtake the clematis and shade it out over time. Clematis is pretty ugly in the winter but there are plenty of other evergreen vines you can grow beside it which will hide that dead looking clematis without shading it out all together

I've had plenty clematis get so thick and heavy that it "spills" over the support but when I look at "trailing clematis" pictures on google sites it really is clematis growing up and spilling over..
Rereading my post I see where I said ivy is hardwired to grow down. Of course anybody with ivy knows that is not true. It climbs and spreads laterally as a ground cover. But the true meaning of "trailing" makes me think of petunias, sweet potato vine, etc which spill over a basket or planter. Clematis simply doesn't grow that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden