Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:25 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times

Advertisements

Were any of you affected by the freezing or frosty temperatures this morning? Mostly around Front Range/Rockies/Colorado/Plains area.

Different types of crop vary in their tolerability and length of time the temps stay cold but anything below 40F is obviously not good for crops. Upper 20s for a few hours pretty much damages a big portion of the farm.

Here are the temps this morning.

Video from Colorado about farmers worried. We'll know or hear more this afternoon. Do you guys have any more stories or information?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQllczX84No

Last edited by elnina; 04-12-2015 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:39 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Were any of you affected by the freezing or frosty temperatures this morning? Mostly around Front Range/Rockies/Colorado/Plains area.

Different types of crop vary in their tolerability and length of time the temps stay cold but anything below 40F is obviously not good for crops. Upper 20s for a few hours pretty much damages a big portion of the farm.

Here are the temps this morning.

Video from Colorado about farmers worried. We'll know or hear more this afternoon. Do you guys have any more stories or information?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQllczX84No
We'll hear on the news tonight. They were interviewing farmers who had carrots and green beans in the ground. Here in metro Denver, we had cloud cover that kept us at or just above freezing

Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We'll hear on the news tonight. They were interviewing farmers who had carrots and green beans in the ground. Here in metro Denver, we had cloud cover that kept us at or just above freezing
Clouds are a nice blanket at night. Some other areas weren't as lucky.

I guess they are assessing it today. It's still in the 20s and 30s West and South of Denver right now. Keep us posted.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:26 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,351 times
Frost warnings for most of central and west central Minnesota.

I doubt it can hurt anything as hardly anything is planted due to the cold spring and rains.

I recall many years where farmers were done planting corn and oats by May 1st.
Seems weather is getting colder and colder back at the Minnesota farm.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Frost warnings for most of central and west central Minnesota.

I doubt it can hurt anything as hardly anything is planted due to the cold spring and rains.

I recall many years where farmers were done planting corn and oats by May 1st.
Seems weather is getting colder and colder back at the Minnesota farm.
Yup..colder and colder is worse than warmer and warmer as far as crops..here is the current alert map. Looks like farmers have the heads up again.

This farm in Missouri running 1-2 wks behind with strawberries. Peppers, watermelon, Orka not in yet because ground too wet. Tomatoes will be late because of cold.
Ever changing weather continues to delay farmers | FOX2now.com

Old 05-14-2014, 07:58 AM

Not really from Spring freeze but I'm thinking about changing the name of the thread to keep track of situations like this.

Hopefully others can help out. I think it's good to know from a consumer standpoint, weather guru standpoint, and homeowner standpoint of view whats going on or happened.

Video in link.

Scott's Strawberry Farm impacted by winter freeze - WSLS 10 NBC in Roanoke/Lynchburg Va

BEDFORD COUNTY, VA - This time of year Scott's Strawberry Farm in Bedford County is normally filled with workers picking berries, but now it's bare with no berries to pick.

The owner, JD Scott, says he lost about $80,000 worth of berries which is at least half of his crop for the year. The last time this much damage happened was about 10 years ago.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:25 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
My thermometer bottomed out here in Denver at 33 this morning. Doesn't look like we've had any damage due to this cold storm, other than a few branches off trees. But even that was minimal. I still haven't heard if crops in rural Colorado have been damaged.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,351 times
back at my former MN dairy farm ( son's farm now) it got down to 32

Old 05-14-2014, 03:20 PM

I see frost advisories down into Kansas for tonight and even freeze warnings in that part of Texas where the forecast highs will be 90s in couple days.

Frost not as bad but can still damage but it's the fact that its been chilly across the northern plains to southwest past week.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:39 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
I have not seen any crops planted yer here in ND. All I have at the moment are the seeds I'm starting in a heated green house. Do have 2 squash plants setting in pots outside just to keep an eye on the weather. they made it through last night. don't see any damage on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden