U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 10:17 AM

56,408 posts, read 38,846,287 times

Advertisements

Very Cool stats from Accuweather Paul Pastelok's blog today. This shows what percentage of the corn has been planted.

Iowa, Michigan, North Carolina & Tennessee about the same as last year this time but the rest of the states have less corn planted this year vs last year so far.

Pennsylvania 35 acres planted this year vs 50 last year this time. Wow.

It's been a cold start to May and that may have had an affect. Cloudy too. March was snowy and cold as well maybe contributed.

Crop Progress Statistics - NASS

Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 05:13 AM

16% of the 90 million acres of corn are in poor conditions. Wonder if the clouds and rain and cool weather have anything to do with it. I dont think heat is the cause at this point. Not sure.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:43 PM

With temps only in the 40s and 50s today (record cold) its just been tough on plants and crops lately. Not to mention the rain everyday. Over 14" past 2 months. Nothing is growing.

In Illinois too?

Old 06-12-2017, 04:40 PM

Do you guys remember all these from mid March?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Heads up even down in Southeast!

Message from NWSGSP regarding blooms and crops
Quote:
Check out the temps this morning even down south. WOW
Quote:
Anyone see how far the cold air is going? Not good. Freeze warnings all the way down to Florida
Quote:
Ouch. Another Cold morning down south.

March 16, 2017. Such ashame the cold is killing the blooms and crops.
Quote:
South Carolina. Goodbye Peaches. Temps dropped to mid 20s on this farm yesterday and this morning again. Struggling to warm up past 30s

80% Peach Crop Loss on this farm in South Carolina from this Mid March Cold Blast. Video with FB link..

https://www.facebook.com/gregsuskinW...4804175554327/
Quote:
Even in Missouri?
Quote:
Ouch. Northern Georgia Strawberries.

Oh man, blackberries too?
Quote:
So where will get our peaches this year? Will costs go up? Worst crop damage in past decade
Quote:
Yikes. Lots of damage I dont see mentioned enough. Its been a cold past 2 weeks and the southeast farms and blooms has suffered.
Well.... yikes. Over 1 Billion in damages.

[

Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 AM

Not all about bad news...

Good news... they predicted a drop in corn acres but reality showed an increase. 5 times in last 12yrs.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:27 AM

4,316 posts, read 1,498,597 times
I talked recently with an old friend who travels the Midwest selling ag semi trailers.
(he is nearing retirement and has been doing it for over 30 years )

He stated the corn crop looks terrific !

Old 06-30-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I talked recently with an old friend who travels the Midwest selling ag semi trailers.
(he is nearing retirement and has been doing it for over 30 years )

Nice! Great news. I think was a slow start? Have to scroll up a bit. I think some farms were behind due to the cold spring? Anyway - Good to hear some positives.

Mmmmm, Corn!

Old 07-01-2017, 12:38 PM

64,438 posts, read 71,683,075 times
We are now getting local corn at a bargain price. Peaches are now showing up and AR tomatoes are finally available almost everywhere. Went to the farmers market last weekend, they still have turnips which are usually gone by late May and berries are still looking good, as well as nice squash but it has been a long time coming. Though we certainly didn't have a cold or snowy winter, we had a wet and very late spring. Our days are just beginning to really warm up, a few nights last week were in the 50s. This has slowed everything down. I am still wondering about good green beans. this is the height of the bean season and we have seen almost none. We will just do what we can and enjoy what our hard working farmers produce for us. I think us home garden growers are seeing a slow and maybe not a great year. I know I only have about a dozen tomatoes so far. Either I am going to have a small crop or I will be picking them just before the first frost in Nov. at this rate.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:27 PM

11,843 posts, read 26,652,038 times
It's going to be a bad year for gulf coast farmers. It was already a wet summer even before tropical storm Cindy, now it's even wetter. Fields are nothing but wet mud.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:17 AM

723 posts, read 240,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Then he didn't make it to west/central WI: cold & 4 in of rain in May and another 6in in June and less than half the corn is in the ground due to soggy fields. That which has been planted looks good.

Is this necessarily bad? Corn prices aren't a heckuvalot higher now than they were 30 yrs ago. Supply & demand. Look at the problems WI dairy farmers are having: producing twice as much milk with half as many cows, they are having trouble selling all their milk, yet they don't want to cut back on production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden