Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 11:01 AM

845 posts, read 1,348,496 times

Advertisements

My sister bought a house a few years ago. It's not a bad looking house but the front yard is in dire need. Her main issue is water drainage; most of the water outside drains into her house or basement. While the bigger culprit was her down spouts and other, my theory is her front yard is so dry and brittle, water just drains right through it.

The worst section is the front and side of her house, almost 100 sqft. So, my first guess is they will need loads of top soil. Second, maybe a compost for an "in home" remedy. Anything else they/I can do as far as non-expensive "in house" remedies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 11:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I would start with consistent aeration, topped with organic soil amendments. Overseed with a mix designed for your region and fertilize regularly. Water thoroughly a few times a week to encourage deep roots. It worked for us six years ago when faced with the same situation. Be forewarned that doesn't work overnight. In fact, it may take several years, but the lawn will improve over time.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:21 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
My sister bought a house a few years ago. It's not a bad looking house but the front yard is in dire need. Her main issue is water drainage; most of the water outside drains into her house or basement. While the bigger culprit was her down spouts and other, my theory is her front yard is so dry and brittle, water just drains right through it.

The worst section is the front and side of her house, almost 100 sqft. So, my first guess is they will need loads of top soil. Second, maybe a compost for an "in home" remedy. Anything else they/I can do as far as non-expensive "in house" remedies?
Before adding top soil dig a trench for your gutters. Get them underground so you don't have the gush of water coming out on your beds or lawns.

Make sure you grade it away from the foundation. If you can use DryLock on the foundation inside and outside.

My basement flooded when I bought the unmanaged home. No gutters, water draining toward house, & wet basement walls. Fixed all that and no more water.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:46 PM

845 posts, read 1,348,496 times
Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Before adding top soil dig a trench for your gutters. Get them underground so you don't have the gush of water coming out on your beds or lawns.

Make sure you grade it away from the foundation. If you can use DryLock on the foundation inside and outside.

My basement flooded when I bought the unmanaged home. No gutters, water draining toward house, & wet basement walls. Fixed all that and no more water.
The fix to fix the drainage was the catalyst. The lawn, before the fix, was still dry and broken. They got the water drainage fixed but the "fix" destroyed the lawn. So now, they're starting from the ground - up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden