Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,202 times

Advertisements

I Was Wondering If Anyone Would Know:
After Removing 11 Large Over-Grown Arborvitae That We Had Planted, Can We Just Go in And Plant Some Completely Different Kind Of Shrubs, Or, Do We Have To Do Anything To The Soil? Neutralize It, For Instance? Thanks For Your Time...
Any & All Advice Would Be So Welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 07:27 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeeque22 View Post
I Was Wondering If Anyone Would Know:
After Removing 11 Large Over-Grown Arborvitae That We Had Planted, Can We Just Go in And Plant Some Completely Different Kind Of Shrubs, Or, Do We Have To Do Anything To The Soil? Neutralize It, For Instance? Thanks For Your Time...
Any & All Advice Would Be So Welcome!
I removed several different shrubs including abborvite and simply amended the soil with compost. Topsoil and then watered in the new shrubs very, very well. I did not add fertilizer when planting but did add root blaster to the hole before putting the new shrubs in.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:52 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
No, you don't need to do anything, except get a soil test done at your county extension office, just so you know the pH, at least. If it is abnormally low or high, you should take steps to adust it, and the instructions for doing that will come with your soil test results.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:02 PM

974 posts, read 1,897,262 times
Like Tina mentioned above, a Ph test will help you adjust the soil depending on the shrubs you're putting in... Rhodies, hydrangeas and azaleas will love current conditions, but shrubs like syringas will want a more alkaline soil than you probably have.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:49 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
I third that. Obviously till and break up or remove any roots in that row/area. Trees may have sucked up any nutrients in there so get a soil test done. Then see what kind of soil your new shrubs/trees/plants like and fix soil accordingly if it needs fixing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden