Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:19 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times

Advertisements

We have a giant ash tree, 14 feet around the base, that drapes our house. So naturally we have been very aware and have been monitoring the progress of the emerald ash borer. Living in Maryland this little villlan has just started to show up all around us, it's really a matter or when, not if, it shows up at this point.

Wanting to be proactive we contacted the state who sent a crew out with purple traps. They come by every few months to check for any signs of the pest, this is our third year and so far so good. We were told if they show in the trap, or we see die back at the top of the tree, the tree can be saved with treatment. The brand name Bayer was given, a product that you pour around the base.

Recently I had a series of conversations with a guy who owns a landscape business in PA, where the borer has been present for a while. He has spent time in the mid-west, where the borer originated in this country, and has passed along what they have learned.

Bottom line is this: Had we waited for signs it would have been too late. The borer has been active for 3 years before the first signs appear and the damage will be pretty severe by then. And had we treated a tree this size with a ground treatment that would not have covered the entire canopy, not even close on a tree this size.

The only way to prevent this tree from dying is to get injections and the time to do it is now, not after the borer has arrived and already infested the tree. My guy is having his rep who sells a variety of treatments contact me so she can recommend a few tree companies that use the right stuff and know what they are doing. So no he is not telling me this to make a sale and she represents a number of brands so I don't see her steering me in a direction that will benefit her. And apparently there are a lot of companies out there who are uninformed or are just giving half doses of inferior product just so they can offer the lowest price. I will pass on what I know after she calls.

Bottom line is if you live in the east and have an ash tree that you want to save you need to take action now. Do not wait, it will be very costly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Imacloprid is likely the insecticide that you were referred to and is the most widely used insecticide in the world according to wiki.

If you wait for the EAB to show up and get into your ash tree, you might as well save your money on remediation at that point and spend your money on a nice chain saw instead.

We have about 40 ash trees at a property that I am involved with and the annual treatment is about $35 a tree. Don't know how restrictive the sale of the insecticide is but if you were to go out and buy one of those root feeder watering spikes, don't see it being too difficult to treat your own trees. When they do ours they our injecting the soil at about a 3 foot depth.

My understanding is that a Mountain Ash is not susceptible to the EAB.

Imidacloprid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-11-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Imacloprid is likely the insecticide that you were referred to and is the most widely used insecticide in the world according to wiki.

If you wait for the EAB to show up and get into your ash tree, you might as well save your money on remediation at that point and spend your money on a nice chain saw instead.

We have about 40 ash trees at a property that I am involved with and the annual treatment is about $35 a tree. Don't know how restrictive the sale of the insecticide is but if you were to go out and buy one of those root feeder watering spikes, don't see it being too difficult to treat your own trees. When they do ours they our injecting the soil at about a 3 foot depth.

Yep that is what I've learned. The scary part, and the purpose of this thread, is to point out that the "experts" from the State of Maryland were giving out bad advice and that could have been a very very expensive problem.

So you do this for a living? I was told that a trunk injection is the way to go for a tree of our size. I'm willing to spend the hundreds of dollars this will cost if it means saving the tree. This thing is enormous, it has 5-6 trunks coming off the base, all larger than a telephone poll. The drip line (is that what it's called?) has to be 50 yards. Not sure what type of ash tree it is, I'll look into it.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:21 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
CoreTect may be the easiest thing to use on a tree that size.

CoreTect 250 Tablets, Bayer Coretect Imidacloprid Tablets

I have a few young Ash trees myself, but they are extremely rare down here so I'm hoping that'll keep EAB out of my immediate area.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
CoreTect may be the easiest thing to use on a tree that size.

CoreTect 250 Tablets, Bayer Coretect Imidacloprid Tablets

I have a few young Ash trees myself, but they are extremely rare down here so I'm hoping that'll keep EAB out of my immediate area.

Yeah Bayer was the product recommended by the state. But again the guy I spoke with said my tree is way too large to get the treatment all the way to the top via ground treatment. I don't want to mess around and will go with an injection I'm thinking once I talk to the woman who reps for the chemical lines

Old 06-11-2014, 12:39 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Mountain Ash isn't an ash. It's a sorbus. A true ash tree is in the fraxinus species. Common names can be very confusing. So Mountain ash isn't in the sights of the EAB.

Dave is so right. At our Extension office, we are counseling people to treat before any dmaage is seen, and trees that are old and mature with trunks you can't get your arms around -- best to call in an arborist. They can do trunk or soil injections. I sure wouldn't try to do that big a tree with the Bayer product.

It's a shame there is so much bad info out there, but there is bad info about a lot of garden problems.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:10 PM

Thanks Tina, your posts backs up what I've heard. Now if I can just get the tree guy to call me.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 PM

Hey Dave, here is a link to our infor on this. I wanted you to see it because timing of treatments is important. Summer might not be the ideal time. See what your arborist says, but also speak with your county extension office. For all the questions they get about the EAB, they can probably recite the answers in their sleep!

Johnson County - >>Lawn & Garden - Agents Articles - Insects - Emerald Ash Borer In Kansas City

Old 06-15-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Hey Dave, here is a link to our infor on this. I wanted you to see it because timing of treatments is important. Summer might not be the ideal time. See what your arborist says, but also speak with your county extension office. For all the questions they get about the EAB, they can probably recite the answers in their sleep!

Johnson County - >>Lawn & Garden - Agents Articles - Insects - Emerald Ash Borer In Kansas City

Thanks Tina, I did check into the timing. If we were doing ground treatment you are right, spring or fall. But we're doing a trunk injection and I had heard up through June. Summer has come late to Maryland so I'm sure we are OK if done soon. Taken from you link:

1. Trunk injections: Applied every two years by a commercial applicator, normally done in early spring to early summer. This is the preferred method of treatment supported by the most research.

I hesitate to trust my county extension office. First off they weren't a lot of help with my tomato blight and secondly as I said I went through the State of Maryland's office (can't remember which one) who is monitoring the EAB and they were the ones giving me bad advice.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks Tina, I did check into the timing. If we were doing ground treatment you are right, spring or fall. But we're doing a trunk injection and I had heard up through June. Summer has come late to Maryland so I'm sure we are OK if done soon. Taken from you link:

1. Trunk injections: Applied every two years by a commercial applicator, normally done in early spring to early summer. This is the preferred method of treatment supported by the most research.

I hesitate to trust my county extension office. First off they weren't a lot of help with my tomato blight and secondly as I said I went through the State of Maryland's office (can't remember which one) who is monitoring the EAB and they were the ones giving me bad advice.
Oh no, really? That's too bad, and Extension offices do vary from place to place, but they should all meet the same high standard. I wasn't thrilled with the one we had in Illinois either. K-State is just outstanding. For you, Penn State or VA Tech would be good. They have amazing Extension services. Trunk injection aboutnow sounds like a good idea. You'll sleep better all summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden