Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,842 times

Advertisements

Does any one know if you can re root this plant if you pinch it off at the bend. It is getting to long and I need to trim it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 11:31 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Just to be certain we are talking about the same plant. this is the plant I know as "Purple Passion"

It is easy to propagate

Quote:
Propagation:

Gynura propagates easily from stem cuttings. Take 3" stem cuttings with several leaf nodes. Use a rooting hormone for increased success rates with cuttings. Put the cuttings into potting soil and cover to keep the cutting warm and moist. It's a good idea, however, to occasionally remove the cover so the young plant's leaves are allowed to dry out.

SOURCE

Old 06-18-2014, 03:12 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
The plant in the photo, has been called 'purple velvet' in my area.
I was thinking the OP was speaking of 'passion flower'...those are purple as well.
Velvet propagates very easily, not sure about Passion Flower.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
The plant in the photo, has been called 'purple velvet' in my area.
I was thinking the OP was speaking of 'passion flower'...those are purple as well.
Velvet propagates very easily, not sure about Passion Flower.
That is one of the difficulties with the common names. The same name is used for different plants. Another possibility would be Passion fruit. Although they are more in Louisiana and Texas and also called Maypops in some area. (Several plants are called maypos depending on where you live.

But for the benefit of the OP here are a few more plants called Passion Plants or Purple Passion Plant

MAYPOP PURPLE PASSION FLOWER PLANT (PASSIFLORA INCARNATA)

This next one is actually a variety of Spinach an edible ornamental

None of these 2 that I just posted can be started from cuttings.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:46 PM

175 posts, read 315,107 times
I disagree Woodrow. I don't know about the purple spinach stuff, but passion vines most definitely can be propagated by cuttings. The Passion vine is actually reall well adapted for this. Just take a nice cutting, pop it in some potting soil in a small container and you have a 80% chance of survival. Cuttings tend to be more touchy than root stock. But it can be done and it isn't that hard.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
I disagree Woodrow. I don't know about the purple spinach stuff, but passion vines most definitely can be propagated by cuttings. The Passion vine is actually reall well adapted for this. Just take a nice cutting, pop it in some potting soil in a small container and you have a 80% chance of survival. Cuttings tend to be more touchy than root stock. But it can be done and it isn't that hard.
I must not have a green thumb I gave up trying to root cuttings in Louisiana. But than again I was probably the only person in Louisiana that could not grow bamboo. I think I had the only Louisiana yard without Maypops or Bamboo. there was one wild variety of Passion flower up around Shreveport that had small green flowers I always wanted one. Never did have any luck with them either

SOURCE.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:26 AM

I have rooted Confederate jasmine, Cat Claw and Passion Vices. Just take your cutting clse from a main vine, just below a "knuckle" if possible. Dip the cut end into some rooting hormone, place in good potting soil, keep moist, not soaked and set the pot in a shady place. When I have done this, I usually do between 6 and eight. With luck, 3 or 4 will make it.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
I have rooted Confederate jasmine, Cat Claw and Passion Vices. Just take your cutting clse from a main vine, just below a "knuckle" if possible. Dip the cut end into some rooting hormone, place in good potting soil, keep moist, not soaked and set the pot in a shady place. When I have done this, I usually do between 6 and eight. With luck, 3 or 4 will make it.
Batting .500 with rooting sounds like a good average. You are ready for the Major leagues.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:44 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
Same here, I was given 3 roots of purple passion vine 3 years ago to create a cover on my chain link fence for the pool. Two died, one survived and holy cow, this is the 3rd summer and it is growing everywhere. I pull the roots out of the ones I don't want to grow, stick them in water and give them away to people who want them. The beauty is, is that they are virtually maintenance free. I know alot of people don't like them and think they are invasive but I love it. I even have the pink and Lady Margaret variety....

Old 06-22-2014, 09:28 PM

Some people have trouble with plants some don't. FOr me, it is always a struggle due to where I live. However, I follow the Hopi Indian motto for plants. This way something will make it.

"Plant one for you, plant one for God and plant one for the bugs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden