U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:03 PM

48 posts, read 68,734 times

Advertisements

I'm debating this with myself.... I'm thinking some additional input could be useful.

I have an area at the base of the driveway where there is a drainage ditch. The former owners put in fabric and river rock.

As it tends to do, after about 10 years the weeds are coming through with increasing enthusiasm. Annoyingly, mostly through the fabric. I suspect the rock layer was too thin in areas. The fabric still looks decent, but some areas were exposed.

Now my dilemma is: what to do? I will never have plants there. I pretty much have to put the rocks back in. DH will not mow it since it is an awkward area to mow.

Do I put down another layer of fabric? I can't really see another alternative if there are rocks there. All my plant areas are cardboard/newspaper with wood mulch. I like that method since it lasts for 3 years or so and then I can just add more cardboard/mulch on top. This removing and washing rocks business stinks in comparison.

Is there another way to reduce weeds with rock? They truly look terrible there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 07:08 AM

5,184 posts, read 5,426,592 times
Spray the weeds 2-3 times a year with Round-Up. Perfectly safe.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:22 AM

3,339 posts, read 6,452,973 times
We have exactly the same situation in two drainage ditches at the street. The previous owners just put down rock, but no landscape fabric. I am not a fan of using landscape fabric, but I'd sure use it in those ditches. The weeds are vicious, and though I do spray with Roundup or brush killer several times a season, it's an area that always looks a mess. This year I bit the bullet and put Treflan pre-emergent in the ditches, but I would much rather have fabric under the rocks.

I agree with luv4horses that the Roundup is safe, but it's a royal pain to keep spraying all season long when I have so many other garden chores to do.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 AM

48 posts, read 68,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That's what I've been doing... but the weeds just love to live there and big tall ones too. I did Round-Up last week and will need to do it again in 3-4 weeks. I can already see tiny baby weeds coming up.

I have an area that is a dry rock creek bed and the Round up 2-3 times a year works well there, but for some reason this end of the driveway area LOVES to grow weeds. Maybe I just need more rock?? Or I've thought about getting some salt, like for water softeners and sprinkling it everywhere.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:45 AM

968 posts, read 1,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Perfectly safe is not accurate for the dogs who were used for testing. Dogs, mice and rats were used to prove it's relatively low toxicity levels to humans.

Even though the LD50 values show the compound to be relatively non-toxic it can cause significant eye irritation... in humans.
Glyphosate

Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 AM

11,789 posts, read 26,449,348 times
Yes, just spray it with glyphosate. You do need to make sure there's enough rocks there to prevent erosion however, since the weeds will no longer be there to help hold the soil.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 AM

37,083 posts, read 39,950,049 times
OP. You more than likely have soil build up over the years between the rocks and the current fabric material thus giving the weeds a base to grow in. I'd strip the rocks, spray a pre-emergence, lay new heavy duty landscape fabric that allows water to drain through, cover with minimum of 2" of rock and that should take care of your problem.
Then as needed the few weeds that may come up use Round-up to spot rid the area of those unwanted weeds. Round-up is perfectly safe when following it's direction. I've used it for 40 years and I'm still alive and kicking.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:32 PM

25,631 posts, read 26,305,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP. You more than likely have soil build up over the years between the rocks and the current fabric material thus giving the weeds a base to grow in. I'd strip the rocks, spray a pre-emergence, lay new heavy duty landscape fabric that allows water to drain through, cover with minimum of 2" of rock and that should take care of your problem.
Then as needed the few weeds that may come up use Round-up to spot rid the area of those unwanted weeds. Round-up is perfectly safe when following it's direction. I've used it for 40 years and I'm still alive and kicking.
Bingo.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:01 PM

539 posts, read 499,622 times
This is the same trouble I've mentioned in this other thread....

maintaining landscaping rock

Yup -- take up the rock, separate it from dirt and weeds, replace cloth, put down rocks again, use Round-up for spot treatment.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:24 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,963,245 times
I just finished some classes at the city and they brought in experts to talk about gardening, etc. They now say don't even bother with the time and expense of landscape fabric before putting rock down since it's all the dirt blowing in that piles up and gives weed seeds the opportunity to grow. They recommend just the pre-emergent before putting the rock down and then maintaining the site with some Round Up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden