Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:50 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

After my herbs and veggies miraculously (mostly) survived the hail, tornado and late blizzard, I have to say I'm pretty happy with their hardiness. However, the coneflowers didn't make it, and I had to replace them - I used the opportunity to buy more perennials, and I think I may have a plant problem, LOL.

Some of these were already planted, but I added the dianthus and more iceflowers on my latest nursery trip.

Two of the beds have penstemon, daisies (still waiting for them to flower), asters (still waiting) and iceflowers. The other two have blanket flowers, dianthus, penstemon and iceflowers.

I'm thinking the dianthus is my favorite right now - so bright and colorful. But I also put in a small bed of veronica and columbines, and the columbines are lovely as well.

So what are your favorites in your garden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 10:03 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
That's a tough one, like choosing your favorite child! I guess I'll say the plant I would never be without is Black and Blue Salvia. I have several in my container planters and they keep the hummingbirds coming off and on all day long. Love to sit on my porch and watch them.
black and blue salvia - Google Search

Another favorite is Nicotiana Sylvestris. Smells heavenly and gets very tall, up to 4 feet. It has lovely pendulous white blooms. Comes back every year without fail.
nicotiana sylvestris - Google Search

And then there is Verbena Bonariensis, a tall, airy, plant with tiny lavender flowers that look lovely mixed in with roses and other plants.

verbena bonariensis - Google Search

Actually, this time of year everything looks wonderful. Seeing all the roses in bloom, the peonies, poppies, the plumes of the ornamental grasses - it's like seeing old friends that I've been missing for months!

Old 06-18-2014, 08:48 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Amsonia Blue Star
any kind of iris
any kind of daylily
hosta
veronicas
confederate jessamine
Carolina Jasmine
yarrow
canna lilies for height
lambs ears
St. John's wort
coral bells
hardy and annual hibiscus
bell flowers
ageratum
balloon flowers
lipstick plant
any bulb or rizone
minor bulbs for very early flowers
amarylis
caladium
begonias. in Atlanta they came back or reseeded
clematis
any and all ferns
false indigo- baptisia
blue fescue gives a wonderful pop of color and coolness to a border
anything variegated
coneflowers- did you see the thread i started about what needs to be done to ensure they don't rot the first year?
dianthus
amethyst falls wisteria
phlox\

I could go on and on. I also believe every border should have a good foundation of hardy shrubs interspersed to give some height as well as winter interest.
gardenia
azaleas
shrub roses
hydrangea
nandinas
rose of sharon
ornamental grasses

I don't like bonariensis because it spreads all over the garden and there are many plants I won't grow for their spreading or rampant reseeding like viola-johnny jump up. and some other flowers.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:24 PM

Kudzu, guess I won't ask you which is your favorite child. Love it!
It took me years to establish Verbena Bonariensis here, it kept dying back every winter and never returning. Funny how different plants react in different habitats. I had to laugh at the notion that Rose of Sharon (different thread) was invasive. Not here!

I agree with the good foundation of shrubs as backbone of a garden. Here they're more likely to be evergreens though.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Hmm right now I'm loving the astilbe that are blooming and the daylilies which are just starting their bloom period. My favorite tree right now are the pawpaws because it looks like I'll be getting my FIRST pawpaws this year. There is also a big silver maple that I think is beautiful.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 PM

749 posts, read 920,777 times
My favorites are Phlox and Hydrangeas.......

Old 06-18-2014, 09:57 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,293 times
Nordland fig. The leaf is so unique and the figs are delicious. I also like how figs can be espaliered into any shape you want. Kind of like sculpture but in slow motion. Here is a leaf picture - Nordland = Slocan?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:58 PM

Oh yes, hydrangeas! I've been searching for some of the "Hot Red" variety and found them at Lowe's yesterday. Score!

hot red hydrangea - Google Search

Old 06-19-2014, 01:59 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
My hands down favorites are Viburnums. There is no thing bad I can say about them; they're just the most fabulous and diverse family of flowering shrubs. I"m up to 24 of them now and considering more places to put them. Viburnums come in about 150 cultivars, are pretty much pest free, require little or no pruning EVER, and often provide three seasons of interest. Some are everygreen or semi-evergreen, and wow, I absolutley can't imagine gardening without them as a critical part of the "spine" of my landscape.

http://www.classicviburnums.com/inde...main/index.htm

Old 06-19-2014, 02:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I agree Tina. They grow very well here in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden