U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:22 AM

13,975 posts, read 11,103,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post
To the poster that was complaining about the metal in the spindle. while some are too soft most are meant to be hard (strong) enough to cut some thick brush. If you are hitting object that can break them you need to either raise your deck or clean your yard mowers are not designed to cut concrete, rocks, pipes (Water Shutoff Valves) sticking out of the ground, and tree stumps.
Even used to be dealer's/repair men can make mistakes when buying new equipment. Two years ago I bought an Ariens lawn tractor with the 46 inch mower deck. I liked the fact that I had a switch position so that I could go from forward to reverse and not have to stop. The very first couple hundred yards that I mowed I broke my first blade spindle. I am not new to mowing grass - I have sold and serviced many tractors over the years and I mow my five acres religiously.

What I did not realize is that I cannot raise the deck high enough to clear what I have been cutting with my MTD and Gravely. Using my mechanical skills I tried to raise the deck and it cannot be done without changing tires - which might be a solution? I just don't understand why any manufacturer would sell lawn tractors and you cannot raise the blade high enough to clear what other mowers clear. In the case of the stone that I did hit; it was under the ground. I have a bagger attachment on the mower and when I turn the mower can scalp. In the case of the broken spindle: I the case of the broken spindle; I turned and the blade hit the ground and dug in until it hit a rock!

I still use it but only on the flattest sections of property. I would never buy another Ariens. I would also shy away from white metal spindles - I prefer cast iron or steel.

Last edited by fisheye; 07-01-2014 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 01:45 PM

2,381 posts, read 2,816,205 times
I have a JD105 that I purchased from my local JD dealer. I'm 99% sure it's mostly the same as the one you get at the box store but the box store units do have a different model number. I was torn between the Cub Cadet LTX1045 and Husqvarna YTH2246. Both the CC and Husq had more HP and other features (add ons) like a higher seat, larger cut, etc. But when it came down to it, I think of JD like I think of Weber grills. You can and will be able to find parts very easily for years to come for any model purchased. I have 1.5 seasons and 50 hours on the machine now and love everything about it. It's easy to maintain, simple to operate, and has the capabilities where it counts. Too many horror stories of other brands in the OP's price point, you won't be disappointed with the JD.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:29 PM

19 posts, read 2,120 times
You can go for Troy-Bilt Super Broncho Riding Lawn Mower. It has enough power to mow large lots of rough grass and a large 42-inch cutting deck mows a wide path. This is a smooth and comfortable ride. It cuts open, flat yard or one with hills and obstacles. It provides worry-free, long-lasting and durable performance with a padded steering wheel, padded high-back seat, lever, and ample leg room, you can mow comfortably.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:01 AM

After my last post I bought a John Deere zero turn mower. Now I have no complaints about the Ariens I bought - I hate my new JD! It is absolutely the dirtiest mower I have ever driven. I have had it for two years now and have barely used it. When I mow my eyes burn from the dust. Sometimes I can hardly breathe. When I get off the mower I take the leaf blower to myself to clean off enough to go in and take a shower (the water runs brown from the dirt). I feel like I spent a day in the coal mines! I paid something around $3300 to $3600 for the tractor and bagging attachment and hate myself for ever wasting the money.

I had complained to the company and they told me to get the mulching kit and that would solve my problem - but I think the bagging attachment was around $600 and then I could not use that attachment. In other words they know they have a problem and think they can get even more money out of me to solve their problems! I'm not buying and I hope that none of you make the same mistake with a JD zero turn!

In fairness; I do have many leaves and they create the dust. So it might be possible for people with lawns and no leaves to mow without any problems?

Old 02-07-2019, 06:16 AM

7,606 posts, read 3,155,482 times
Bags collect dust. I would take their advice and get the mulching attachment. I have one and never get dirty at all. It’s just cleaner.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:58 AM

984 posts, read 362,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Bags collect dust. I would take their advice and get the mulching attachment. I have one and never get dirty at all. It’s just cleaner.
I’ve been told and read that the mulching attachment only works well on the fabricated (higher height) decks and not on the stamped ones?

I wish I knew this prior to purchasing my Cub Cadet since I would have upgraded the model to have the better deck since I prefer mulching.

Otherwise, very happy with the CC. It has a Kohler commercial engine and the lawn tractor cost about $2K.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Bags collect dust. I would take their advice and get the mulching attachment. I have one and never get dirty at all. Itís just cleaner.
It could depend on what you are mowing? If you do not have that many trees and mostly lawn, without leaves, then you would not have my problem. I have removed the bagging attachment and the mower is still dirty on my property. I would never buy another one or recommend it to another home owner. Keep in mind that I used to be a lawnmower dealer and sold Toro, Gravely and MTD. I would take a Gravely or even an MTD, if they still made them, anytime over the zero turn JD.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:43 PM

21,526 posts, read 26,944,327 times
Is it mower buying time again?

My comment on the OP is that no one is going to plow snow with a riding lawn mower. Not going to work. If you want a double duty machine that will both mow and plow, you need a garden tractor. It might look like a riding lawn mower, but it is not. Nor does it cost the same.

My riding mower is a Husqvarna with mulching blades. It's been fine so far. The only negative is that the suspension if a bit too stiff. I'm mowing about an acre and a half, completely level.

I had a garden tractor from Sears that was excellent. It got stolen, so I bought another one from Sears and it didn't last more than one season. Repair parts were not available. No more of those for me.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:28 PM

984 posts, read 362,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tel0004 View Post
Im looking to get a riding lawn mower. I have a 3/4 of an acre yard which is dead flat. Very little trees and obsticales to mow around.

Im looking for an entry level garden tractor 42". I may use it to push snow but will probably use a snow blower instead.

Budget is around 1200 but I would be willing to spend up to 1500 to get a more reliable model. What brands are the best, and what brands should I avoid?
With that budget your best bet would be a Murray lawn tractor with a Briggs & Stratton engine. (Walmart sells them)
MTD which is sold under the name of Yard Machines and many other brands, including Sears and MTD is the largest manufacturer of the low end non commercial lawn tractors.The low end of the John Deere tractors come out of the MTD plant along with Troy-Built, Bolens, Cub Cadet, Yard-Man, etc.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:03 PM

982 posts, read 391,504 times
John Deere says it all if you buy a Deere made tractor , not a contract made Deere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or